Jock’s Round 15 selection advice video

Filed in Supercoach, YouTube Supercoach Video by on July 3, 2013 • views: 3750

Jock's Round 15 videoHow are we all folks – we are on the downhill slope now and trades are getting thin on the ground for many of us.

Should be like this each and every week of the season with trades.. when it gets to this point in the season you realise that each and every trade you are provided with it well and truly worth it’s weight in gold.

I have a look at some good short term and also some good long term Supercoach and Dreamteam options this week – hope you enjoy the video.

As always make sure you sink your fantasy fangs into this week’s podcast with myself, Peter Higginbotham and The Crouching One – some sensational selection advice in there and a touching tribute to AFL Womens round as well: CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE

1. Marc says:

Dunno if i'd be going gaga over getting Prestia in my team with so many other midfield premiums like Watson (554K), Kennedy (519K), Fyfe (512K) and Selwood (519K) available at around the same price. I'd probably feel more comfortable going into the finals with one of those premiums knowing they can stand up to the tough stuff rather than hoping a youngster keeps up his good run of scores.

• jockreynolds says:

Good point Marc – just wish our premiums would come out and get the job done consistently, been so up and down this year haven't they? Still reckon Prestia could explode in the last month of the season but yep – agottsy to overlook those blokes

• Marc says:

They have been frustrating this year (just add it to the pile of frustrations from this year!). I reckon you could maybe make a case for picking Prestia over Kennedy or Selwood based off of their past month or so, but it'd be a big call to pick him over Watson who's the #4 ranked midfielder for the year. Looking at the L3 average only Watson is slightly ahead of Prestia with Watson on 112 and Prestia on 110. GC do have a good final month too, with Melbourne, Port, St Kilda and GWS. It'll be interesting to see if Prestia continues the good run of form and if the Selwoods and Kennedy's continue to put up scores in the low 100's. My midfield is done, so I'll be watching by the sidelines on this one.

Trent Cotchin is another one I forgot about at 499K too, there's plenty of options available isn't there.

• Birch's Buddy says:

If only I took in Prestia four weeks ago, when I planned to (his bye drove me away).

• Max says:

Looking for live Fantasy scores, stats and breakevens? Check out http://www.afllivebroadcast.com for ALL your fantasy AFL info.

2. Remy says:

Hi Jock, do you know if Goodesy will be playing this week?

3. Jack says:

Good one Jock Mate!
    Who Might be A FWD option be buddy?

Also Jock If I Get Rid Vlastuin Who Should Take The Lost Spot In My Back Lines? Or Should I Sub Stakes Back And Go Nic Nat or Andy Walker?

Love Your Work Mate!

4. WiNnEr says:

is mundy playing this week if not trade to jobe

• dustin says:

His considered in this week, waste of a trade to jobe in my opinion. If you still have rookies to upgrade to premiums i would focus on them more then side trading a premium in mundy. worry about side trade in the finals or near season end rather then now to save your crucial trades

• Birch's Buddy says:

Should be. Don't trade.

5. 61falcon says:

My Current Team is
    DEF:Goddard, Hanley, Heppell, Duffield, Gibbs, Ibbotson & Clark , Vlastuin
    MID: Ablett,Pendlebury,Swan,Danger,Priddis,Fyfe,Omera,Mitchell & Goodes,Neade
    RUCK: Cox, Nicholls & Gawn,Currie
    FWD: Riewoldt, Kennedy, Franklin, Jenkins, Naitanui, Harvey & Dwyer, Staker
    9 Trades Left & $122 100 Curently Coming 1,1,2,5,& 7th in Leagues.
    What should i do, Make no trades and keep them up my sleeve or start trading guys like Vlastuin, Goodes, Dwyer, Jenkins for low price players and bank the money for more upgrades?

• Jim says:

trade dwyer

• Mcareec says:

I'd downgrade dwyer to daniher if named and btw if your not already I reckon you should field staker over Jenkins

• FrontPocket says:

This is multiple-week strategy, the order depends on the break evens of those being traded out and the bubbly-ness of the rookies to be traded in.

Trade Vlastuin for Clisby to generate some cash.
      Trade Dwyer for Daniher to generate some more cash (if Daniher gets named this week or next)
      Look at getting a dual premium ruck setup, you'll have to let go of one of Nicholls, Gawn or Currie. Minson and Goldstein the platinum picks. If you're tight on cash maybe dangle the aggots over Jacobs 'cos he's cheap as chips for his potential scoring output (thanks to a disappointing year so far).
      Cash in O'Meara for an ultra-premium mid
      You might want one more ultra-premium mid rather than relying on Mitchellsan or Goodes as M8 (Trade out Neade to an ultra-premium)
      You'll probably want to upgrade Jenkins as well, I reckon Roughead is your man.

6. Jim says:

What should i do with duffield and vlastuin?

7. nostyles says:

want to get a ruck under 500k?

Ryder, Macevoy, Maric (inj) look to be the best options.

any advice? maybe even risk a Clarke from Freo?

Thanks!

• Sleepy says:

Jacobs at 404K. 142k less than start of season and starting to find form. 2 out of last 3 over 100 and last year in top 5 ruckmen for the season (on memory)

• Kev says:

Missed the boat on clarke now with sandi back and all

• Judd says:

Leunberger is the best ruckman for under 500k easily, he has a breakeven of 66 averages about 100, his last 3 scores are 102, 112, 115.

8. Alex says:

Jim, Hold onto Duffman, they say only 1 week, 2 max. With Freo’s run home I expect him to come good.

Vlas has been great for so many of us, but with his high BE of 140ish he looks set to drop in price. Depending on trades left and cash, Hanly looks good to get in now if you dont have. Brissy have a real nice run home too. If you don’t already have get shaw in.

How’s your Backline ?

• Jack Jenkins says:

I’ve got Gibbs Goddard Shaw Hanley Ibbostion and Vlastuin
      Who next?
      Or sub Stakes down there and get Nic Nat or Walker

9. Bob says:

Who should I get rid of Brett Goodes for?

Garrick Ibbotson or Bachar Houli

• Kev says:

Ibbo – easier run home

• Remy says:

I'm worried Houli will start getting tagged, maybe if you don't already have him get Pearce Hanley in, or for a similar price I reckon Daniel Pearce could be a good option down back if your looking for a POD.

• @MRB37 says:

I know the Crows made a point to tag Houli a few weeks ago as they ID'd him as being on of the main guys they get their run from from half back. Backfired when Deledio was left loose and mopped everything up, but it does at least show coaches are aware of Houli.

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Too much rotation in the Tigers' midfield to tag Houli. Focus on him, and Deledio, Vlastuin, Ellis, Jackson and Grigg run loose.

10. Dominic says:

Worried about bringing in a rock-bottom Jobe with the drug stuff, whaddaya think boys?

• Birch's Buddy says:

Same problem here.

• FrontPocket says:

He overcame travelling to the West and 30,000 booing West Coast supporters to score 127. I wouldn't be too concerned. But I've already got him, so I have to keep the faith.

• Birch's Buddy says:

Not form wise. He's a superstar in that regards. But I fear the AFL interfere with some sort of a penalty.

• Sleepy says:

Yep you right Birch but will they find a way to take our supercoach points? Probably LOL

• chandanrajdb says:

So, are you bringing in Watson into your team or u staying away from him for this season ?……this is the question i have as well…..??

Cheers,
            Raj…..

• BestCoastEagles says:

Bring him in immediately the guy is a "Super Premium" at end of year financial price. The time the AFL and ASADA finish there investigation it will be run and won.

• Judd says:

Exactly what eagles said we dont have that many rounds of SC left by the time anything is resolved the season will be over.

• Birch's Buddy says:

I'm bringing him in. No better alternatives at that price range except for maybe ROK (short-term).

• @MRB37 says:

If the AFL haven't done anything even after his admission he took the stuff, they won't do anything until the season is over I reckon.

11. Ash says:

Hey jock,
    I have shuey, they are saying 1-2 for a hamstring I currently have 7 trades should I trade or keep and use Tom Mitchell as m8

• @MRB37 says:

Normally i'd say trade, but Tom Mitchell is playing like a SC star at the moment, so I think you'd be best off waiting a fortnight and then re-evaluating Shuey. If Mitchell keeps up the 100+ scores, you're not really losing out a whole amount and that saved trade could be a blessing later in the year.

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Sydney have Melbourne and GWS in their next two. Hold Shuey.

12. Birch's Buddy says:

Great one Jock! This has been my most stressful lead-up to a footy week this year, what with all the trade possibilities…

Here's my team with only 6 trades left and 86.6k:

Goddard, Heppell, Gibbs, McKenzie, Duffield, Birchall (Thurlow, Webster)
    Ablett, Pendlebury, Swan, Boyd, Dangerfield, Priddis, Cotchin, Titchell (Goodes, Hrovat)
    Minson, Cox (Nicholls, Currie)
    Walker, SJ, Martin, Rockliff, Naitanui, Bartel (Staker, Bennedy)

I am completely lost for ideas right now. I want to get rid of Birchall, Boyd and upgrade Goodes, but then there's the issue with conserving trades. This is the scenario I've been considering, despite the very limited amount of trades:

Trade Boyd to Jobe, and Birchall to Clisby this week, leaving me with four trades. Shaw should drop in price over the next three weeks. So hope that Thurlow gets to about 260k by then, and spend a truckload to bring Shaw in. However, this will rely on the depreciation of Shaw's price and the increase in Thurlow's. And trade Goodes to the best midfielder I can afford (would be about 540k).

In regards to the premium midfield, was also considering a Cornes/Barlow combination rather than a Jobe/Montagna (for instance) combo. Worried about JPK's form despite the Melb/GWS fortnight.

Thoughts? God knows I need them.

Cheers!

• Kev says:

You're in a bit of trouble here mate – your thurlow idea won't work as he'll miss the next 2-3 with a broken cheekbone – then no guarantees he'll even get back in the team.

Go ahead with the boyd/birch trades this week as they are both essential. Then reassess next week. Those 4 remaining trades are like gold now

• jockreynolds says:

Are you shooting for a league win or for rank old mate?

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Initially rank. But as I was not in the country for Rd 1, I ended up having Boyd, SJ, Vlastuin and others in my starting team. So I scored about 1850. I'm working my way up, currently at about 15k. And I'm first by some distance in my main league. So obviously that's a priority, but again, I'd love to climb in the overall ranking.

13. rooleader says:

Should I stick with this midfield all the way or make some changes

-swoll,dang,abl,pend,prid,grif,wats,cotch!!

need help don’t have a lot of trades before I ran out of trades..

14. Sleepy says:

Have you all heard the AFL want to try out hawkeye system and Sanderson wants four goal umpires. Shite that would make 9 umpires on the field. One umpire for every two players for goodness sake.

15. Birch's Buddy says:

Watch your mouth. Jock and co. do this in their spare time. Listen and appreciate, or don't say a word.

16. Walto69 says:

Hey guys need some big advice in some trouble .
    I have 2 rookies on the field left, 3 with Nicholas playing for Maric out.
    They are Staker and Clisby with Docherty and Thurlow DEF back up and Daniher and Ben Kennedy as FWD back up.
    I did have 5 trades last week but I had to trade out vlastuin and birchall last week because I had 3 top teams who were 1st 3rd and 3rd so I have 3 trades left ( I know,not flash)
    and 222k in the bank ,
    I'm not sure but I wanted to build Stakers price up and upgrade to someone big like Bartel . because I just bought Clisby in and Thurlow and Docherty I can't upgrade to any big players.
    Should I keep the 3 trades? or use one more to upgrade Staker next week?
    Cheers
    T

• Jimbotraralgon says:

You are in a similar boat to me mate…unless you are really struggling to make finals you are going to have to hold I think.

• Walto69 says:

Yeah i'm currently 3rd , 4th and 6th in my 3 leagues , my teams pretty good just my last 9 premiums last week all failed , was expected to get 2450 but yeah I'm going to hold , seems the best idea .

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Hold. Chances are you'll have to use those trades on LTIs.

17. Nick says:

Just wondering who would be a good d

18. Nick says:

Just wondering who would be a good downgrade option for Macaffer don’t really want daniher. Cheers

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Watched the Freo game and Viv Michie looked excellent on debut. Bad JS I'm afraid, though, with the impending returns of Barlow and Mundy. Jed Lamb finally escaped the vest and was decent. Unfortunately no great, must-have downgrade targets in the FWD line right now.

19. FrontPocket says:

So, what you're saying is:

"I'm jealous of Jock's browsing for extra large condoms"

I can appreciate that, but you've gotta play the cards you're dealt. Life lessons are hard, son, but you can't ignore them forever.

20. kewellman says:

HI GUYS SOME INPUT ON MY team thanks

B: goddard, gibbs heppell bircall staker clarke shaw goodes
    c: selwood j, danger, pendlebury , johnston s, cotchin, omeara, mitchell, viney, ablett vlaustin
    r: goldstein roughead nicholls rowe
    f: kenedy j, lecras, cloke , cox,franklin, bartel, mayes, daniher
    Trades: 12
    cash: 36K
    SHOULD I
    1) leave team as is
    2) or try to get some cash in
    3) who would you or what would you do
    thanks guys

• BestCoastEagles says:

Birchall, Vlaustin. Mayes and Viney can all be looked at as upgrade downgrade trades. Trades are not a problem "Ca$h" is so you might need to downgrade this week. there will be a fair few premiums dropping in price over the next few weeks. This week i would move Birchall and Vlaustin on for Clisby and Watson will leave you with around 200,000 in the war chest for next week. Then maybe look at D. Swan when he drop's in cash.

• Jimbotraralgon says:

As crouching puts it…time to trade ass off…clarke, vlads, viney, omeara, rowe and mayes could all move on before finals.

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Cull the rooks. You more than enough trades to do so. Upgrade/downgrade until you're on about 6-8 trades. Should have a full team by then.

21. BestCoastEagles says:

Daniel "Elite Supercoach". Jock and the boy's humorous and informative outlook on Supercoach is refreshing. If you are so desperate for advice of the highest Order and call yourself an "Elite Supercoach" you may have to finally grow some king tutt's and make some decisions yourself instead of sucking other people's ideas. Instead your on this free sight giving your opinion that we just don't care for.
    Troll Off Muppet.

22. smokin gecko says:

Will Charlie Dixon comeback and score huge? I know he has been out with ankle injury and uncertainty surrounds his potential to take off where he left,, but surely GC would make sure he was 100% match ready before putting him back in? I reckon he’s a player no one will have and will pump players like shaw and Hanley especially with GC’s run home!

• FrontPocket says:

Even Jock pulled the trigger on Dixon. He had a week out for a "minor" ankle injury which turned into a few weeks for a "no longer minor" ankle injury. He had one game back during which he didn't particularly dominate and managed to re-injure his ankle , and he hasn't been named since.

I'd stay away, but keep him on the radar for next year.

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Can't see him working his way back into the ruck (if he's named) with the form of Nicholls. Jack Grimes could be interesting when he returns (has been relisted). Personally, I'm not looking for a POD in defence now. I just want consistent premiums.

23. Jimbotraralgon says:

Gee what to do about thurlow? Only got 4 trades left but going to clisby will give me 200k for a final trade up for the finals and might allow me to avoid a donut if duffman goodes and vlads are all ruled out.

But will leave me very exposed..

24. chandanrajdb says:

Hello Community,

After giving so much thought to my trade this week, since i have only got 4 trades left…..

My trade this week,

OUT: Blicavs IN: Jobe Watson…..will be left with $68k after these trades……team full of premos…..and yes i have still got Birchall in my team and I think I will probably hold on to him for the season ATM…..and wish he comes back before the SC finals……..if not trade him out during the finals run…….

My plan for the remaining 3 trades are…..HOLD on to them till the finals……and keep an eye on Rioli & Sandilands…….if they start to find some form then jump on to them…….

I am not really worried about my league wins at this stage as I am looking to give it a shot in overall rankings…..as I am currently ranked 663……

So what do you think community??? Am I doing anything wrong here and any thoughts on my trade above will be much appreciated……..

Cheers,
    Raj…..

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Now that you mention it, keeping Birchall will save me a trade. However, he'll need to come out all guns ablaze from the get go. No time for him to work his way back in. Hawthorn are also notorious with managing players for finals. If they feel as if they're in a decent position, he might miss a couple of games in the finals too.

I think I've convinced myself. Cheers!

SS (formerly known as Birch's Buddy)

25. ozzie says:

Back 6 currently looking like GODDARD, HEPPEL, GIBBS,
    TERLICH, SCOTLAND, VLAUSTIN, WITH BIRCHALL AND DOCHERTY ON BENCH
    With my team complete elsewhere and 5 trades left, do i trade scotland for ibbo? and keep birchall on bench and bring him back in finals? or get rid of birchall? and risk having scotland (playing like ass) in my final back six?
    currently sitting with 349,000 in bank aswel
    thanks

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

LTIs before underperformers. I'd go Birchall to McKenzie (prefer him to Ibbo).

26. Frank says:

Dont know what to do
    Def: Goddard, Hanley, Mckenzie, Shaw, Hartlett, Vlaustin (Staker, Thurlow)
    Mid: Ablett, Watson, Swan, JPK, Fyfe, Selwood, K Cornes, T Mitchell (Ball, K Mitchell)
    Ruck: Cox, Roughy (Nicolls, Rowe)
    Fwd: Walker, Bartel, N Riewoldt, Franklin, J Kenedy, Rockliff (Daniher, Summer)
    4 trades left not happy with Vlaustin or Rockliff at the moment. I want to upgrade Ball to pendles or griffen by the end of the year.

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

We're all in the same boat regarding Rockliff. With 4 trades, I'd sit still for the moment. Ball can be a finals upgrade if you make it through to Rd 20 with a couple of trades. If you really want to get rid of Vlastuin though, look at Duffield in a couple of weeks (was subbed off for 49 before HT) or Gibbs/Heppell (the latter should only cost you about 50k or so).

• BestCoastEagles says:

Hold !! save your trades for Finals. Your side doesn't look to bad. Vlaustin should come good i also have Rocky the moment you move him on he will start banging tons again

27. Scott says:

Firstly let me say I am playing dreamteam so have basically unlimited trades..

My trades this week are:

Macaffer to Bartel

Sidebottom to Clisby (swing goodes to mid)

I know people are going to be like err why get rid of side bottom, he’s a premium blah blah but I haven’t reasons. He’s been pretty shit all season and I was going to play t.mitchell over him this week anyway since Sydney have Melbourne and should get big pts. He also has a high BE and is going to drop more cash. Then next week I will bring in Stevie J into my mid and he will kick ass against Melbourne

28. jockreynolds says:

Let the kid go folks – might have some unerlying personal issues to contend with so let's give him a wide berth and hope the kid can work things out. Poor bloke

• FrontPocket says:

You're a more forgiving man than I, and that is to be respected. Keep up the good work.

29. James says:

Who should I downgrade out of Brett Goodes or Dean Terlich to Clisby?

Is Andrew Walker the best forward upgrade option?

Cheers

• Genco says:

Surely you have to keep Terlich! I certainely held him instead of trading to Hanley and was 21 points better off. Neil Craig seems to have him in a rebounding role.

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Goodes, easily. Terlich is in a fine vein of form.

Walker has been great this year (rebounding defender role), but it depends on who you have in your FWD line at the moment. SJ is a must. I'd also place NicNat/Cox and Bartel ahead of Walker in terms of must-have forwards.

30. Luke says:

Jock, having a dilemma here of who I should choose out of Ibbotson, McKenzie and Hanley to replace Brett Goodes in my backline. Who looks to be the more reliable option out of these from here on out?

Cheers

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

McKenzie for me. Why? I brought him in last week and he gave me a solid 93 points from only 14 disposals. He didn't get too much of the ball, but his disposal efficiency was at an astonishing 100%. Hanley and Ibbotson need to get a lot of the ball to score well. McKenzie only needed 14 disposals. Not to mention kick-in duties, and his tantalising finals run.

31. paul says:

Goddard Enright Hartlett Hanley Gibbs Shaw Goode s Thurlow   Ablett Pendle Watson swan kennedy Griffin cotchin fyfe tmitchel k martin   Minson naitanui nicholls mcbean   Cox bartel walker franklin rocky stevy j staker bkennedy 4 trades Any ideas

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Sit tight. Team looks good. If you're short on cash, perhaps Thurlow down to Clisby. But I'd just hold.

32. @Jacko2128 says:

hanley vs mckenzie?

33. @Jacko2128 says:

Clisby in for thurlow or daniher in for b. kennedy?

34. Michael says:

Just a thought to all – I think trading based on perceived "easy" draw has been a bit of a false dawn this year so far, what do you all think?

35. Kane says:

Hi jock
    I have both Duffield and Maric in my team with only 6 trades and 13K in the bank
    Wondering if i should hold them or trade them and if so for who ?
    Help would be nice :)

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Hold both. Duff scored 49 in less than half a game. Will come good, don't worry.

• BestCoastEagles says:

Same as ShinbonerSpirit , all you will be doing is sideways trading. They should be both back next week. Save sideways trades for finals.

36. Bye round carnage says:

81k in the bank. I have Duffield, B. Goodes, A. Goodes, Vlastuin (not sure if he's in this week). Adam Goodes is definately out, was considering B. Harvey/Tippett.

Who's out and who's in?

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

What does your FWD line look like?

• Bye round carnage says:

D. Martin, Franklin, A. Goodes, J. Kennedy, T. Cloke, S. Dwyer, S Johnson, J Daniher,

Bartel I've swung into mid due to Mundy uncertainty.

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

With only 81k, Walker and Cox (you might be a couple of grand short for the latter) look to be your best bets.

37. Jack says:

Should I go
    vlastuin-clisby
    terlich-premium

Thoughts on which prem to go with would be great. Was thinking ibbotson as is in great form. I already only have h.shaw and c.enright. Defense my weak link

• chandanrajdb says:

Vlastuin to Clisby looks good mate…….

I will try and hold on to Terlich for one more week……..he is scoring reasonably well and has low BE…….

IMO…..HOLD Terlich if you can……..will be a good bench cover for the remainder of the season…….

Cheers,
      Raj…..

38. Dave says:

Hey guys,

The last position on my team to be filled is ruck. Who do you think is the best bet out of Goldstein and Minson? Much of a much-ness?

Cheers

• Joshau says:

Are you going for league win/s? I'd consider Goldy to be a hair over Minson with overall scoring output over the run home, but I've gone with Minson because his finals run is Carlton, Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne for the GF, while Goldstein has Adelaide, Essendon, Hawthorn, Collingwood.

• Dave says:

Thanks Joshau. I'm sitting pretty in both my leagues and have a pretty easy run to the finals in both, so finals are now my main concern. Minson's last 4 look very promising and he gives me 17k extra in the bank which could become very handy later on. I think I've finally made up my mind!

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

I've got Minson. But you can't go wrong either.

39. Micko says:

Fyfe or cotchin for vlastuin?????

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

I prefer Cotchin. But Jock loves Fyfe. And we all love Freo's finals run. I'd still go with Cotchin.

40. Big sauss says:

Stanton, okeefe, boak, cornes, griffin, or any other premium for Boyd? For dreamteam this is

41. Alec says:

trade in jarryd roughead or dean cox to complete forward premium line up?

42. Jay says:

Is Dangerfield worth the punt as Captain this week? with Raines playing on GAJ – i'm thinking to go a little left-field and put the C on Dangerfield…..coming of 150 and 141 & had 138 on West Coast last year…..seems to be in red-hot form?

• BestCoastEagles says:

Run the Captains loophole, put the VC on Ablett and see how he is doing then put the C on Dangerman. Just a thought

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

That's what I'm doing this week. Using the loophole on Gibbs first though.

43. Big sauss says:

Who as captain this week for dream team, GAJ, swan, pendles, Barlow, kieran jack, okeefe, swallow or Watson? Keeping in mind that raines has been named