Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Podcast – 2 weeks till kick off!

Filed in Supercoach, Weekly Podcast by on March 11, 2013 • views: 5534

AFL supercoach 2013 NAB

2 weeks to go folks can you bloody believe it!

Get stuck right into this week’s podcast as we have an absolute feast of Supercoach and AFL Fantasy gold just waiting to be discovered. It has been a very interesting week of NAB Cup action and the tide has turned on many fronts.

I know I bang on a bit kids but I must take this opportunity to remind you to stay calm. The next fortnight is a stressful time for all fantasy footballers. It is a time for cool heads and steely nerves. It’s not the players you pick in these 2 weeks that will win you the prize. It’s the players you’re wise enough not to pick.

Discussed this week;

• Dyson Heppell
  • Patrick Ryder
  • Tex Walker
  • Josh Jenkins
  • Patrick Karnezis
  • Travis Varcoe
  • Dean Terlich
  • Daniel Currie
  • Koby Stevens
  • Leuenhamneggenburger
  • And a hell of a lot more..

Enjoy the show!

Subscribed on iTunes? This is a ripping way to get the show downloaded every week. Click here.

1. jeremy says:

Backs: B Goddard, B Gibbs, P Duffield, D Heppell, S Atley, B Goodes, (N Vlastuin, S Colquhoun)
    Mids: G Ablett, S Pendelbury, L Shuey, H Hartlett, B Moloney, K Stevens, O Wines, K Mitchell (B Crouch, J O’meara)
    Rucks: S Jacobs, D Currie (S Rowe, J Witts)
    Forwards: J Roughead, D Zorko, J Bartel, T Rockliff J Kennedy, B Macaffer (S Kerridge, J Lamb)
    Feedback is very welcome. Feeling as though my team is looking a bit shaky cheers Jeremy!

• Rick says:

Pretty close to mine Jeremy, so I like it! Currie is the key

• Clayton says:

Like it… like it very much! Rucks are risky, but if Currie gets the nod ahead of Goldstein, thats a bloody solid team. How much cash have you got? If possible, id upgrade Hartlett to Bennel

• Smittzzy says:

Yeah man Hartlett is going to be your burn man if any. Also make sure those forward rookies can get games. Lamb will probably not break into Sydneys best 22

• SCaddict says:

Hartlett is looking in ripping form and very hard to ignore particularly in the backline rather than the midfield. But his injury prone history can't be dismissed so I've now gone with Duffield instead who's proved to be very durable in contrast.

Still has me tossing and turning at night though as I reckon Harlett could have a blinder this season if those hammies hold up!

• jeremy says:

thanks for that guys swapped hartlett to the defence for heppel and traded hartlett for birchall whos popped into my mind with injuries to piggy and others

• BIGBOY says:

Your team look excellent but if there was one problem it would be the rucks as I believe Currie's job security good but not great, however the rest is magnificent.

• Pete says:

bwahaha, pod cast, sneaky little peak comment from Crouching, gold!

2. Tim says:

Hey jock, higgo & crouching when will you guys be putting up your teams??:)

We would all love to see them

• jockreynolds says:

Gday there Tim – sorry about the delay mate I've been at several Fantasy Footy focus groups around town all day,
      Let's just say that PLENTY will be revealed over the coming week old son ;)

3. klaay says:

good stuff fellas!!

Anyone got a league i can join?? consider myself a pretty good coach ahha

4. Kodesz says:

Great podcat again guys. Just a question for higgo, i cant see your complete guns and rookies strategy paying off. Who will you go for in the forward line if your just saying that midpricers like varcoe and karnezis are too risky? Surely with the lack of rookies that are guaranteed games in the fwd line, you’d have to take at least one mid pricer? Cant say i’ll be taking any of your advice on the guns and rookies strategy. Seems stupid to me.

• SCaddict says:

Perhaps you could've worded it a little nicer Kodesz but yes I'd like to see Higgo's forward line too with only GnRs.

I've gone guns and mid pricers across that line instead otherwise reckon you will run the risk of either picking up regular donuts or burning trades instead.

5 guns forward
      5 rookies midfield
      Simple really in 2013

• SCaddict says:

We're talking about the forward line Eagle not the midfield where obviously a GnR strategy is easily achievable.

• Pies says:

That’s what eagle is saying SCaddict, u can put 5 premiums in your forward line and then have more rookies in other lines to keep a GnR strategy going even though forward rookies and slim this year

• SCaddict says:

Yes somehow he edited his post whilst I was replying. It initially read just 5 guns 5 rookies so makes more sense now.

Well I guess it's doable then. But that's spending a heck of a lot of cash in just one line though and limiting yourself for trading in premium forwards who emerge during the season unless you want to burn a few extra sideways trades.

But the main reason I'm against it is I think you will likely be missing cash generating opportunities if you pass up on a good choice of value mid pricers up forward this year.

• Eagle says:

lol cash generation will be huge in the midfield u dil!
              Thats the whole point. MORE CASH GENERATION!
              From midfield rookies.

• Shimma says:

well if you have too many midfield rookies your missing out on midfield guns…you "dil"

• Eagle says:

5 is not to many me thinks.
                  Its all about balance, most struggle with it.
                  Its nice being in the top 10% evey year.

Yeah I mystically edited my post LOL

OR
              THe link between your eyes and brain works intermittently!

Good luck! it looks like you will need it.

OOps a bit harsh
                Now where did that mystical edit button go…………………?????

• dools says:

Woh Lads, Suppossed to be a happy Place
                  Like comin to Grandmas house after school, you said yes please No thanks and eat all the tea cakes offered and in return you put up with the Ps & Qs
                  Don't hijack this site for the rest of the community

• SCaddict says:

Good on ya Dools. Agree wholeheartedly mate. Don't want this great site to turn into many forums out there where they are more trouble than they are worth.

Debate and idea sharing is what's it about not juvenile name calling!

• Michael says:

i think it would have to consist of mainly guns, with maybe 6 rookies in the midfield…. i can find 4 rookies up back, 2 in the ruck and none up FWD so my forward will mainly prems with karny as the mid pricer.

• kodesz says:

Higgo has insisted on going with 6 premiums in the midfield. Just dont know where he'd get the money to afford a safe forward line. His backline must be very weak if he goes with all guns in the forward line?

5. rowan says:

whats happened to heath scotland in defence?

6. PortJared04 says:

Out of some of the "cookie-cutters" I do NOT have players such as,
    Franklin, Zorko, Luenberger, and out of some of the rookies named I don't have Vjney.

• @MRB37 says:

I actually dropped Viney recently too.

• jimbotraralgon says:

Like your thinking guys. Viney hasn't come on as much as I thought. Maybe kommer might be passing him?

• jockreynolds says:

I reckon I'd stick fat with the junior Vine lads.. serious quality here

• @MRB37 says:

For me, it came down to picking two out of Viney, Mitchell and Stevens. Since i'm starting 3 rookies in my guts, I went for the bit more mature players in Mitchell and Stevens. 5-5 approach has me with Ollie Wines, Koby Stevens, Kane Mitchell, Jaegar O'Meara and Brad Crouch in my mids.

7. Ram-Rod says:

Going with the 'set and forget' forward line this year as there are hardly any forward rookies. The mid pricers aren't looking all that good either. Bynes will burn, Varcoe doesn't look all that great, Monfries has an injury scare, Karnesis unproven, Siposs awkwardly priced…. So here it is, thoughts please:

Backline: GIBBS, BIRCHALL, HEPPELL, NEWMAN, VLASTUIN, GOODES (TERLICH, DOCHERTY)

Midfield: ABLETT, PENDLES, KENNEDY, HANNEBERY, WINES, STEVENS, MITCHELL, O'MEARA (CROUCH, VINEY)

Rucks: JACOBS, VARDY (CURRIE, ROWE)

Forwards: RYDER, ROUGHEAD, ZORKO, ROCKLIFF, MARTIN, CLOKE (MACAFFER, LEE)

• SCaddict says:

I'm of similar thinking regarding the forward structure RR although perhaps a fraction top heavy for my liking so I'm going with a few mid pricers with high job security instead such as Lecras, JJKennedy and Karnezis.

Not even confident that Macaffer will get a game each week such is the depth of the Pies atm. It's certainly very lean pickings in relation to forward rooks this year.

• gropes says:

Carefuk of Vardy – injury?

8. Matt says:

Hey guys great work again! What are your thoughts on Lecras in the forward line?

• SCaddict says:

An enticing option although there will probably be a few mid pricers more popular at this stage if you can only fit in 1 or 2.

However I have 3 mid pricers in my forward line so can squeeze him in and reckon he'll be a good stepping stone to Nic Nat by about Rd 6.

• Smittzzy says:

I'm not sure mate that bloody ACL injury is a real pain in the A*s

• SCaddict says:

No question players returning from long term injuries have an added degree of risk hence the favourable pricing whether it be Leuey, Varcoe, Macaffer, Ball, Embley, JJK, Gray, Krakouer, Staker, Bock or Lecras.

Reckon it's a risk worth taking though especially with the extra 6 trades this season. Also I intend to use him as a stepping stone to a premium player so will unlikely still be in my team by mid season even if he remains fit and healthy.

But I also understand his selection is not for everybody so I'm hoping it will be a fruitful POD in my leagues early on.

• jockreynolds says:

Great question – with the other mid price options droppin like flies can't help but be reminded of Higgos GUNS AND ROOKIES approach this season

• SCaddict says:

Yeah Lecras is a tough sell and I can certainly understand why many coaches won't be able to fit him in.

For a player returning from a whole year out of the game with a serious injury $370K is certainly on the steep side. If he was under $300K like his mate JJKennedy then he would likely attract more interest.

But the guy is pure quality up forward and also capable of rotating through the midfield as well so I'm willing to roll the dice on him myself.

But at the same time I can fully appreciate whilst others are looking elsewhere. Certainly a decent talking point anyway.

• Matt says:

I know Lecras is a bit of a risk, but one I am contemplating taking. Most of my team is guns and rookies at the moment but i feel there are not enough solid rookies in the forward line to make that strategy work, so I feel I have to put a couple of mid pricers in there.

• Eagle says:

Expensive for the scores he will averaged.
      Need High average scores or cash generation
      He wont give you either.
      Pass

9. SCaddict says:

Another enjoyable and informative listen again fellas but missed the LOCK OR NOT segment.

Varcoe is one cookie cutter I'm passing up on along with Viney.

Viney hasn't done enough just yet to justify the hype in my view and reckon there are more attractive alternatives to Varcoe for forward mid pricers such as Karnezis, Lecras, JJKennedy, Petterd, Siposs, Cornelius etc.

• jockreynolds says:

Always great to read your view SC. I suppose the other thing is we have so many options for other MID rookies as well – going a bit different ie without Viney is a big POD

• SCaddict says:

Yeah hopefully they are two PODs I don't live to regret as they are both very popular selections he he.

10. Smittzzy says:

I said it last week and i'll say it again, poo Dan Hannebery isnt coming under any consideration for a potential premium. 2 solid performances from him with great efficiency, just lacking clearances.

• SCaddict says:

Yes a serious alternative to Bennell, Shuey, Mundy etc and will be a nice POD for you mate.

11. Cold Ass Honky says:

At the moment im sporting a forward structure to 'Ram-Rod', for similar reasons.

Def: Goddard, Gibbs, Watts, Newman, Goodes, Terlich (Stevenson, Docherty)

Mid: Ablett, Pendles, Watson, S Mitchell, Mundy, Stevens, Mitchell, O'Meara (Viney, Crouch)

Ruck: Cox, Currie (Rowe, Witts)

Fwd: Ryder, Zorko the magnificent, Rockliff, Martin, Cloke, Macaffer (Neade, Lee)

Changing about 5 times (or more) a day, so this may not last long lol

• Jeremy says:

*forward structure similar to 'Ram-Rod'

• Jeremy says:

That being said, have already modified this slightly:
        In: Wines, Heath Shaw
        Out: S Mitchell, Docherty.

Going 4 starting rookies in the mids, and 1 in each other line. Makes money in the mids, sures up the other lines. Far more value in the midfield rookies than in any other spot.

12. Cold Ass Honky says:

Ok im obviously posting with two different names and are going mad. Also, Duffield Heppell combo looking better than Shaw Newman i believe

13. Michael says:

Jock mate Walker is being severely underated by you. Kicked 5 goals on the weekend too not 3 like you said

• dan says:

pretty sure he only kicked 3 dude

• Eagle says:

t walker with Adelaides draw IS A LOCK!!!!

• @MRB37 says:

His ability to boot goals from 60 metres out from a few steps is one of the reasons I think he won't suffer as much as some people believe due to the loss of Tippett. He doesn't need to stay in the forward 50 to be involved, an excellent kick (Check out something like this to see how accurate he can be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvCT_T59O0&t=… and has a good pair of hands on him, too.

With that being said, I'd agree that Sheenan(sp?) putting him at #9 is an overestimation on his part. He's the 2nd best forward in the game, only currently listed player to kick more goals at 64 games is Lance Franklin (Franklin had 167, Tex has 153). Easy fit in the 25-20 range, but can't add him as a top 10 guy yet.

14. Philby says:

Great pod cast again guys, this seasons structures are starting to take shape, mids lots of rookie options so the variety of structures there are interesting IMHO 5 rookies is the go that's where the money is. The ruck forward structure is where I think the difference will be made with the amount of good rookie rucks available and the lack of forward rookies makes it interesting. Currie has come out very much like the Zachary Smith of 2011 and the Giles of 2012, and I think Rowe is better than the 2012 options of Redden and Big O so a 1 & 3 option is very viable with maybe a Witts etc as you third rookie ruck. The best thing about 2013 are forward ruck gun options that we have and I think Higgo in his genius is right on the money and can not be ignored with 2 of Cox,Ryder or Roughy in your forward line you will always be asured your ruck is covered and the money saved you can fill you starting forward line with player you know will be out on the park every week but of course you guys already know this being the experts you are but I just get so excited at this time of year that I can't stop talking about it and my family just don't understand, thank you guys.

• Lar says:

I am a Roos fan and I do not see Currie bring selected before Goldsteinby round one. You’ll be praying for Goldy to be injured if u lock Currie at R2, silly choice

• Philby says:

I think if he plays he will potentially score better than the rookie forwards that are available and if he doesn't play I will just swing one of the two gun ruck/forwards I have in my forward line to replace him or use Rowe if he is playing.

15. SCaddict says:

I've created another Jock Reynolds Community public league. Anyone here is welcome to join.

Code is 753633.

EDIT – League now has 18 teams so is closed. Thanks to all who joined.

16. chandanrajdb says:

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts or feed back on the below team would be highly appreciated…

Def: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Hartlett, Vlastuin, Goodes, (Terlich, Stevenson)

Mid: Ablett, Pendles, Dangerfield, Mundy, D Martin, Stevens, Wines, O'Meara (K Mitchell, Crouch)

Ruck: Leuenberger, Currie (Rowe, Witts)

Fwd: Cox, Roughead, Chapman, Rockliff, LeCras, Varcoe, (Macaffer, Lee)

Remaining salary cap is $15,200….

Thank for your comments / feed back / help……

Raj….

• JJFyzz says:

Love the team. I’d get rid of Martin for Moloney.

Not sold on the Frenchman or Varcoe or Macaffer.

I like your rucks in Cox and Roughy. Unsure about Leuy though

• SCaddict says:

Yes Dusty looks out of place in the midfield structure. Perhaps consider moving him into the forward line at maybe the expense of Chappy who turns 32 this year. Then you could get another specialist mid price or premium guy into your middle.

• chandanrajdb says:

Thanks for your comment above mate….

Made couple of changes…

In: Karnezis, T Armstrong (Syd – Def)
        Out: LeCras, Vlastuin

Raj

• Jay says:

Rucks are the only weak spot in the side. Although over the ground you have the scorin ncovered. Not too much room to sell cows an upgrade rookies

• podsi says:

Great work on picking Chappy instead of Zorko!!

• chandanrajdb says:

still a question mark on couple of guys i have picked in my team above mate….

1. Heppell Vs Hartlett – Heppell was good against GWS whereas hartlett was really good against WCE (who are one of the Favourites to win this years premiership)….and agian need to consider that hartlett is injury prone…..not sure…..

2. Chapman VS Zorko – Chapman had a very good pre-season and he is looking really good in the NAB cup, and in one of his article in afl.com i read he has mentioned that he had one of the best pre-season for nearly 2 to 3 years…..ZORKO 2nd year player can he do the same thing what he did last year…..not so sure!!!……..

Guys any thoughts would be much appreciated…..

• dools says:

chappy has injury, Not clear on how long but inklings from Sleepy Hollow are miss 1 – 2 weeks…Zorko the Magnificent Ihighly rate but as a second year player I feel likey to let you down SC points wise teams have weighed and measured him…Not for me
          Hepple is a tag target, gamble ….Hartlett is just an injury gamble Naw mate from me

• chandanrajdb says:

Thanks dools for your comment above mate…….

I have revised the team as below…….

Def: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell, Vlastuin, Goodes, (Terlich, Stevenson)

Mid: Ablett, Pendles, Dangerfield, H Bannell, N Fyfe, Stevens, O'Meara, K Mitchell (Crouch, Viney)

Ruck: Mumford, Currie (Rowe, Witts)

Fwd: Cox, Roughead, Rockliff, D Martin, J Kennedy, Karnezis, (Macaffer, Lee)

Remaining salary cap is $600….

Raj….

17. Jay says:

Hey guys. Great podcast once again. Would love some thoughts on my side though :) I thinks it's coming along we'll with a few more changes this week.

Def: Goddard, Gibbs, Hartlett, vlaustin, goodes, terlich (coloqun,docherty)
    Mid: Albert, swan, danger, cotch, Murphy, Stevens, mitchell, omeara (viney, crouch)
    Ruck: Jacobs, leunberger, (currie, Rowe)
    FWd: cox, rocky, Martin, watts, varcoe, mcaffer (kerridge, paparone)

Thoughts?

• Cold Ass Honky says:

Solid. Would downgrade Murphy though – Bennell, Fyfe, Mundy, Shuey all decent options. Spend the cash elsewhere, Leuenberger and Varcoe are potential burn men. Wouldn't put my eggs in the Burger basket – my opinion though. Although many people are souring on him

18. mathew says:

ok so i want a prem from the pies. most have gone with pendles, swan. is beams a better option than both? i dont c beams getting rested as they will rest both swan or pendles. beams payed all 22 and had an amazing output.

• SCaddict says:

He's really flying under the radar isn't he even though he scored the 4th highest average last season and only 23 years old and likely to keep improving. Should score well again this season with all the attention Swan and Pendles get.

I guess Swan and Pendles have delivered elite output for longer so are regarded as safer bets for all that money.

Not sure I've seen a single team with him in there so would be a massive POD.

19. Cold Ass Honky says:

Need to pick one of these pairs:
    -Watson or JPK
    – Duffield or Hartlett
    – Fyfe or Mundy.

Only combination that doesn't work cap wise is Watson, Duffield, Fyfe. Although space could be made.. thoughts?

20. JJFyzz says:

What say you with the team below!

Gentlemen, a great podcast!!

B: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell, Vlaustin, B Goodes, (Terlich, Stevensen)
    M: Swan, Pendles, Dangerfield, Shuey, K Stevens, K Mitchell, Crouch (Viney, O’Meara)
    R: S Jacobs, D Currie (S Rowe, J Witts)
    F: Cox, Stevie J, Zorko, Rockliff, DeBoer, JJ Kennedy (Lee, B Kennedy)

Thanks
    JJFYZZ

Its not a full team

• JJFyzz says:

Whoops, I must have been drinking. I missed Wines in the midfield

B: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell, Vlaustin, B Goodes, (Terlich, Stevensen)
        M: Swan, Pendles, Dangerfield, Shuey, K Stevens, O Wines, K Mitchell, Crouch (Viney, O’Meara)
        R: S Jacobs, D Currie (S Rowe, J Witts)
        F: Cox, Stevie J, Zorko, Rockliff, DeBoer, JJ Kennedy (Lee, B Kennedy)

• Carl says:

No GAJ your crazy!!

Not convinced on Rowe.. Surely he is behind Kruezer, Hampson, and probably Warnock too. And if he’s played fwd he’ll be behind Waite when he plays as well as Walker and Casboult.

JS an issue??

• Bomber Stef says:

Looks good JJFyzz.

No Ablett though?

I think the gamble will pay off with Currie as a starting Ruckman.

21. Eagle says:

Strong team that should score very well.

• JJFyzz says:

Thanks Eagle and Carl.

Still thinking about swapping Swan/ Shuey out for Ablett/Mundy.

Stevie J could go and bring in Tex Walker. Adelaide have a great home draw to start.

22. BPP says:

At the moment I'm going with kreuzer and bellchambers. I can't bring myself to trust Leuenberger at this stage. In doing that, I sacrifice money, obviously, and I end up with Sam Mitchell and Zorko as M4 and M5, and Matty Wright as F3.

DEF: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell, Vlastuin, Goodes ( Stevenson, Terlich)

MID: Ablett, Pendles, JPK, S.Mitchell, Zorko, K.Stevens, K.Mitchell, Crouch (O'Meara, Viney)

RUC: Kreuzer, Bellchambers (Currie, Rowe)

FWD: Cox, Rockliff, Wright, Varcoe, Karnezis, Macaffer (Neade, Lamb)

Say whatever you want.

• JJFyzz says:

Backs look good

Mids good although not sold on Mitchell. See Thompson, Pridis, Shuey, Mundy, Fyfe or Barlow as being better options

I got burnt last year with Kreuzer. Don't rate him. Bellchambers could a good POD or a failure.

Like Wright. Not sure if Macaffer will get game time

• Bomber Stef says:

Better options than McCaffer as a rookie forward. His JS is a risk.

Agree with JJFyzz – better ruck options than Kreuzer. Bellchambers could be a hit or miss. Consider Ryder and Luenbeurglarrr.

• SCaddict says:

Agree with the others on Kreuuuu. I had him in my team last year and got screwed mid season when Rats played him almost exclusively forward which meant terrible scores. He was played in the ruck more towards the end of the season and his fantasy scoring improved but "once burnt twice shy" I think the saying goes. :)

Zorko is probably better placed in your forward line if you can wrangle it.

23. Seany M says:

Is Koby Stevens a better pick up then Wines? Also, already got GAJ and Swan in my mids, gonna pick two more out of Pendles, Danger and Cotchin and cant decide which two!! Any suggestions?

• Shimma says:

Stevens over Wines any day and Pendles and Danger

• @MRB37 says:

Stevens has the advantage of having 4 years in an AFL system, so you'd expect that he'd be better suited to putting up more consistent scores for the year than Wines. I've got both in my side at the moment.

• SCaddict says:

Yes agree with everyone about Stevens. Has a mature body that can better withstand the rigours of a long season. Ollie Wines has a heck of a lot of upside too so both are in my team.

• Ben says:

wines over stevens
      Stevens couldn't get a game at the Eagles
      Wines big bodied player exactly what Port needed will fit in well
      is cheaper with beater job security

24. johnny says:

feedback please

def: goodard, gibbs, duffield, broughton, goodes, terlich (docherty, colquhoun)

mid: ablett, pendles, watson, selwood, shuey, crouch, o'meare, viney (mitchell, stevens)

Ruck: ryder, leuenberger (rowe, currie)

fwd: cox, zorko, rockliff, varcoe, byrnes, macaffer (lee, kerridge)

Bank: 59 500

25. JJFyzz says:

Pendles and Danger for mine

26. Jaybee23 says:

Thoughts on this team
    Def- b.goddard b.gibbs b.houli s.atley b.goodes d.terlich (n.vlastuin d.van unen)
    Mids- D.beams t.cotchin s.mitchell j.watson d.mundy b crouch j.omeara o.wines (l Whitfield k Mitchell
    Rucks- s.jacobs m.leunberger (s.rowe d.currie)
    Forwards- t.rockliff d.martin p.chapman j.watts t.varcoe p.karnezis (b mccafer m.spanger)
    Still 50,000 in the kitty also best option for captain

• Bomber Stef says:

Ablett is a must – possibly for Mitchell?

Good pick on Mundy!!

Better rookies available with safer JS than McCaffer.

• Jaybee23 says:

To get Ablett I’d need to find another 100k so would take a bit of downgrading and not to sure where’d I’d wanna do that any ideas?
        Mundy was a lock for me at that price I think he will hav a massive year

• Jaybee23 says:

Swapped Watson for montagna been in good for and stk have a fairly easy start to the season hoping I can pick up a bit and swapped Mitchell for Ablett thoughts

27. Shimma says:

Real keen on Newman this year and looking for a way to get him in

DEF: Shaw, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell, Vlastuin, Goodes (Colquhon, Terlich)

Anyone I could get rid of for him? Thinking of dumping Shaw and Siposs for Newman and Jack Darling?

• Carl says:

Swap for Heppel. Will ave more than him

• SCaddict says:

Yeah tough one Shimma. I really rate Newey too with his new role on the wing but I just can't fit him in either as 5 premium quality defenders would just be too much money invested there.

Although I'm not a Siposs fan I'm not sure what you will gain with Darling over Siposs will offset the difference that Shaw is likely to average over Newey.

I actually like your backline as it is.

• Shimma says:

Yeah Im pretty happy with it anyway so I'll probably keep it. Just cant have everyone you'd like I guess.

• Shimma says:

Actually after doing some fiddling do you reckon I should go Zorks and Newman over LeCras and Shaw?

• SCaddict says:

Although I'm a believer in Lecras this season and have in my team I reckon Zorko/Newey is the lower risk combo.

Besides you just have to get Zorko into your team somehow imho.

28. D MAN says:

Hi guys,
    Take a look at my team and let me know what you think.
    I am not settled on the rookies as yet but the rest of the team im pretty happy with.
    DEF:
    Goddard Gibbs Heppell Atley Vlastuin Goodes Pittard Terlich
    MID:
    Ablett Pendlebury Cotchin Bennell Shuey OMeara Crouch K.Mitchell Wines Neade
    RUCK:
    Z.Smith Leuenberger Currie Rowe
    FWD:
    Cox Zorko Rockliff Johnson Varcoe Karnezis McAffer Lee

• Bomber Stef says:

Looks good … few considerations for you:

1. Swan for Pendles
      2. Better valued mids than Bennell and Shuey
      3. Better rookie options than McAffer.

• SCaddict says:

Looks a very decent team to me DMan.

I'm not a huge believer in Atley and would suggest you try to stretch to either Newman or Harbrow for the extra $30K if you can. But maybe Atley will prove me wrong.

29. Shimma says:

Which combo: Newman, Zorko, Siposs (only 20k in bank though)
    OR Shaw, Siposs, LeCras
    OR Newman, Darling, LeCras

Cheers

30. Goncalo says:

What do people think of my team?

DEF: Dempster, R.Murphy, Fletcher, Duigan, Johannisen, Bootsma, (Frost, Oxley)

MID: Tuck, Mclean, Lewis, Masten, Prestia, Rischitelli, Seedsman, Tutt, (Schroder, Buckley)

RUC: Hale, Jamar (Hannath, Dowdell)

FWD: Harvey, Ballantyne, Bird, Jetta, Vickery, Hoskin-Elliot (McBean, Taberner)

I'm really confident with my team. Have got a good mix and have a few players that will be my POD. What does the community think?

31. Adam says:

DEF: H Shaw, Gibbs, Heppell, Vlastuin, Goodes, Colquhoun (Terlich, Docherty)
    MID: Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Deledio, Wines, K Mitchell, B Crouch (O'Meara, Viney)
    RUC: Jacobs, Currie (Witts, Rowe)
    FWD: Cox, Walker, Zorko, Rockliff, Karnezis, Macaffer (Lee, Neade)

$194,300 left

32. Damo says:

Thoughts on the team
    Backs- Gibbs, waters, watts, baguley, goods, docherty( terlich,l Stevenson )
    Mids- ablett, pendlebury, cotchin, Goddard, Barlow, k stevens,b crouch,K mitchell,
    (viney,O’meara)
    Rucks- mumford, leuenberger,( currie, rowe)
    Forwards-Franklin,cox, pavlich, Martin, j kennedy, karnezis( b staker, mcaffer)
    Feedback please

33. Damo says:

And 80k left

34. simmo3 says:

hey legends what are your thoughts on this team??

goddard gibbs heppell goodes Stevenson docerty (terlich Colquhoun)

ablett swan kennedy Dangerfield moloney stevens wines crouch (Mitchell omeara)

cox currie (rowe witts)

franklin roughead zorko rockliff cloke varcoe (maccaffer paparone)

if currie doesn't play rnd 1 can move roughead to the ruck and play one of maccaffer or paparone on the ground.

would love some feedback.. thanks

35. banz says:

and if currie does not play round 2, 3…

I dont think caffer and paparone will be on the field at all early.
    Not having a shot mate, I wish they were, I would be on them
    in a flash.

were you going to use the captain loophole through the ruck?
    could get tricky seeing the hawks are playing late in the round..
    and if currie does not play.

36. BANZ says:

@simmo, have some good prems in there, perhaps too many
    fully priced players?

I like maloney SELECTION.

37. Tom says:

How many rucks should there be in the FWD?
    Right now I have Jacobs & Currie as my R1&R2, with Rowe and Witts, then Cox in the FWD. Is this enough, or do i need Roughy in the FWD aswell?

38. kodesz says:

My team currently reads:

DEF: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell,Goodes,Vlaustin (Colquhoun, Terlich)

MID:Ablett, Pendles, Danger, Deledio, Shuey, Mundy, Mitchell, O'meara (Crouch, Viney)

RUC: Jacobs, Currie (Rowe, Witts)

FWD: Roughead, Rockliff, Stevie J, Karnezis, Mayes, Macaffer (Kerridge, Neade)

Would appreciate anyones opinion! cheers

• BANZ says:

Will Mayes Caffer, Kerridge and Neade be playing round 1? Stevie J is out, if currie rowe/witts miss as well I see 3 or 4 donuts.

Like ya mids, maybe too many dollars in there?

• kodesz says:

as you can see mate im not settled on the rookies and probably wont go with them in round 1, stevie j out doesn't worry me as i'm only going for a league win. Believe he can average 105+ this year

• BANZ says:

Yer I like SJ as well, good pick there.

Problem is kodesz I dont see a hell of a of forward rookies
          starting, which may mean you have to spend more in the
          forwards. Tuff year mate.

• SCaddict says:

Nice team. Only vulnerability is in the forward line so would advise you to sacrifice one of your 6 premium mids to bolster the bottom end of your forward line.

If it's any consolation I only have 3 premium mids so you will still have 2 more premium mids than me and a better forward line than what you currently have.

39. PortJared04 says:

Moloney + Fyfe ? (200k in the bank)
    Or
    Watson + Viney? (418k in the bank)
    Or
    Watson + Moloney (50k in the bank)

The second option would leave me with solely a guns + rooks midfield.

• Boysinblue123 says:

watson and viney 100% mate!
      fyfe and moloney = 2 midpricers, which is always a risky move.
      saying that it could pay off but fyfes injury proneness and with moloney still settling in to a new team makes to be too risky when compared to a proven supercoach champion and former brownlow medallist and one of the best rookie midfielders of 2013

• Shimma says:

Moloney + Fyfe

40. Boysinblue123 says:

hey guys,
    polishing up on the team now, thoughts and feedback would be appreciated please!!

DEF: waters, gibbs, birchall, heppell, vlastuin, goodes (terlich, colquhon)

MID: ablett, pendlebury, kennedy, deledio, dangerfield, k.stevens, viney, k.mitchell (o'meara, crouch)

RUC: jacobs, leuey (currie, rowe)

FOR: roughy, cox, rockliff, varcoe, daniher, macaffer (lee, kerridge)

feedback would be great thanks lads!

• Chenzz says:

daniher wont play much will be eased into the game

• kodesz says:

like deledio in the mids, leuenberger in doubt for round 1 maybe consider chaning him. Otherwise like it, well done.

• Boysinblue123 says:

yeah leuey worries me a little, but will wait for the diagnosis on how bad it is.

changed daniher to zorko, kennedy to shuey, and heppel to stevenson

agree with the comment on daniher chenzz

41. Campbo says:

Goddard, Gibbs, birchall, Duffield, vlastuin, goodes, (terlich, colquhuon)

Ablett, pendles, Kennedy, Mundy, k Stevens, wines, k Mitchell, jagerbomb, (viney, crouch)

Jacobs, Curry, (Rowe, Witts)

Franklin, cox, zorko, Rockliff, Johnson, Macaffer, (Kerridge, Lee)

Any thoughts lads? Cheers

42. Chenzz says:

hey guys, loving the work that's being produced on here! just wondering what you all think about my team, feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Defs – goddard, gibbs, heppel, broughton, goodes, terlich (stevenson, vlaustin)

Mids – pendles, cotchin, boyd, shuey, benell, whitfield, o'meara, k.mitchell (viney, crouch)

Rucks – jacobs, currie (rowe, witts)

Forwards – bartel, rockliff, johnson, wright, watts, varcoe (neade, lee)

Thanks guys!!!

• Carl says:

Solid team in general. Personally I would swap out Broughton for Duffield or Newman, Boyd out for anybody (won’t be top 10 mids by end of season), Whitfield will prob be managed by GWS so looking at 12-15 games for the year. If that’s enough games for you then keep him. Love Johnson in your fwd line wish I could fit him in somewhere he’ll ave 105+ I reckon. Would swap Lee for Macaffer, Kennedy (Coll), or another rookie.

43. Ben says:

Who would you guys prefer
    Deliedo or Cotchin?

• PortJared04 says:

Cotch for me, however Deledio will still be as consistent as ever and be a fair POD.
      Both guns

• Ben says:

I can't seem both of them fitting into my team unless I get rid of Danger. Really tough to say! Thanks anyways.

• PortJared04 says:

Danger > Cotch & Delids

• kodesz says:

I've got deledio selected ahead of cotchin just as a POD, as im expecting most people in my leagues to have cotchin. Reckon they will both provide consistent premium output so i guess you cant lose.

44. PortJared04 says:

Okay top 3 FWD Rookies this year anyone? Need a couple for my FWD line.

45. Carl says:

How am I doing community? Feel free to post whatever thoughts you have.
    Def: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Newman, Goodes, Vluastin (Terlich, Colquhoun)
    Mid: GAJ, Swan, JPK, Danger, Fyfe, Stevens, Wines, Crouch (O’meara, Kommer)
    Ruck: Roughhead, Currie (Sinclair for DPP, Moller for captains loophole/cheap)
    Fwd: Cox, Ryder, Rocky, Martin, Karnezis, Macaffer (Kerridge, Kennedy)

Would love to fit Stevie J in there somewhere but don’t want to trade my current FWD premiums as I reckon they’re all set for 100+ years.

46. Smithayy says:

Any thoughs or changes i could make?

BACK : Gibbs, Heppell, Hartlett, Houli, Russel J, Goodes B, (Docherty S, Colquhoun)

Mid : Waston, Cotchin, Pendlebury, Selwood, Boak, Monfries, Mitchell K, O'Meara, (Crouch, Neade)

Ruc : Jacobs, Leuenberger, (Rowe, Currie)

Fow : Bartel, Zorko, Rockliff, Kennedy, Karnezis, Varcoe, (Kerridge, Paparone)

• Carl says:

Swap Monfries/Boak for Premium/ Rookie.
      Not sure how much cash those 2 add up to but it should work.
      Ideally Swan, Danger or GAJ if you have enough $$.

• PortJared04 says:

Solid team with some differences to most which I like, Gus Monfries was a lock for me but slightly injured his hammy a few weeks ago, see if named round 1.
      Like Boak.

47. Carl says:

Only 5k left btw – not ideal. That might get solved on the day before rd1 ‘rookie shuffle’

Hoping I don’t draft this years ‘Relton Roberts’ lol. That guy killed me

48. Ally says:

Hey guys any feedback would be appreciated
    Backs Goddard shaw Gibbs birchill Duffy goodes pittard terlich
    Mids ablett swan cotchin Kennedy omera Stevens valastin Mitchell kerrige viney
    Rucks roughhead luenberger curry mcbean
    Forward cox bartell varcoe rockliff macaffer Mayes Rowe Simpson

• Carl says:

See the article one of the boys did on Bartel. Maybe in for a decline this year

• SCaddict says:

Yes I'd pick Stevie J rather than Bartel or Chappy. He's expected to spend much of his time in the midfield this season which should result in better fantasy scores than when he played mainly forward in years past.

49. Smithayy says:

Does anyone know any good rookies about three in each besides ruck?

• Mac says:

Def – Goodes, Terlich, Stevenson, Pittard, Docherty, Van Unen, Vlastuin
      Mid – O'Meara, Mitchell, Viney, Crouch, Wines, Stevens, Lonergan
      Fwd – Macaffer, Neade, Lee, Paparone, Mayes

I gave more than three because they won't all be named rnd 1.

50. Ally says:

What's everyone's opinion on Steve j or chappy ?

51. Ben says:

Hey would appreciate anyone to rate it

DEF; Goddard, Gibbs, Birchall, Heppell, Rusell, Goodes (Coloquohoun, Terlich)

MID: Pendulbury, Cotchin, Watson, Shuey, Moloney, Wines, Crouch, Omeara
    (Viney, Mitchell)

RUCK: Jacobs, Leunberger (Currie, Witts

FORW: Franklin, Rockliff, Cox, Broughton, Varcoe, Macaffer (Dwyer, Kerridge

• Eagle says:

No Ablett rookie mistake.

• jimbotraralgon says:

hey Ben.

Not bad just the Russell selection worries.

Don't worry about Gaza. Someone got to do something different. If it fails so be it.

Saying that, if I was to not pick one of the number 1 players, it wouldn't be Gaza, maybe buddy or Goddard.

Didn't really help did I?

• SCaddict says:

Yes good to see not everyone is going with an Ablett cookie cutter team.

As has been mentioned a few times already Leuey is looking very iffy for Rd 1 after re-aggravating his achilles tendon.

In fact I've pretty much ruled him out of my team even if he is named for Rd 1 as achilles injuries are very tough to overcome and have a high rate of recurrence.

52. @MRB37 says:

Awesome work guys, great to hear you've got the #1 podcast on iTunes, fantastic news!

I was surprised to hear you say that Josh P Kennedy would be a unique pick in the mids. This'll be my 3rd year running he's been in my side, I think he's going to be a lock for the next 5 years the way he's going. Picked him ahead of Danger, who I think may struggle a bit as he becomes a focus of the opposition. If you can shut down guys like Danger and Scott Thompson, you shut down their contested ball winning, Crows will lose nearly every time.

I've been scared off by Luey bigtime at the moment, I liked the suggestion of going in with Currie as an R2, but having Cox in my FWD line as a backup. Looks very appealing to me at the moment. Rucks are crazy this year, went in with "Goldstein and Luey, set and forget" mentality and now Luey's looking doubtful for being fit for round 1 and Goldstein looks like he's been overtaken by Currie. I was thinking of selecting a slightly above rookie pricer like Daniel Gorringe, who should be getting some games again this year.

My biggest problem this year is my forward line. Without those MID/FWD swings of last year (Beams, Danger, Sidebum), it's all just looking very unappealing to me. Stevie J is out, Tex has become a mid-year evaluation, Franklin same. Only locks up front are Cox and Zorko at the moment.

• Tom says:

So are you suggesting to go with Kennedy over Dangerfield?

• jimbotraralgon says:

Hey mrb.

Normally agree with you but not on the dangermouse. Could be number 2 behind the Gaza the wizard by year end.

Agree with the Berger food poisoning. Like the currie at r2 but I just can't find two more Ruck rookies to put on the bench.

I also hate the forward line this year. ;-)

• @MRB37 says:

Could be Jimbo, but i'll leave the Raging Bull as an upgrade target for now. I still love Dangerfields game, just seems to present a big injury risk with his bash and crash style of play, especially as he begins to be targeted more by the opposition, which is what has left me slightly cold on him from a supercoach perspective.

• SCaddict says:

The forward line and ruck dept has caused everyone headaches this year. Think I've settled on Jacobs and Currie in the ruck with Cox in the forward line and will only bring Leuey in if he gets through two full games and his price is set to sky rocket. Two very big ifs there.

JPK would definitely be in my top 5 mids but I can only fit in 3 elite mids so he'll probably miss out on a starting point in my team.

• @MRB37 says:

Big Ivan and Giles for my rucks at the moment and Cox up forward. Good thinking with Luey, not fit for round 1, doesn't mean you have to forget about him completely.

53. Podsi says:

Luey not playing in the final this Friday – soreness. PLAN B

54. Herb Superb says:

Great Podcast gents, had a laugh and gained some valuable information,sured up what info I have determined over the past month or so.
    Will go away and conduct an appreciation of your information. Think I can select a couple of players with confidence that most are not selecting.

55. jimbotraralgon says:

Have to say. Love and hate the podcast. Love the sheer magnificance of the information. Hate that I change my side 3 times after a podcast. Moved away from the outright GnR strategy to the higgo break out strategy.

Figure you need to get break out players to win the cash. The more the better. If it goes belly up well so be it.

Got to be in it to win it. Gone are swan and cotchin. Welcome shuey, mundy and fyfe. Bye buddy, welcome zorko. Bye Shaw, welcome watts.

If the Breakout doesn't happen so be it, the winner isn't going to have a cookie cutter team yeah?

Cheers

• SCaddict says:

You're a braver man than me! I will just be satisfied with league wins and bragging rights in the office.

But yes you will need several PODs and a sh!%load of luck if you want to have a genuine shot at the $50K.

56. Tom says:

Really need help with my team community:
    I really want to somehow fit Moloney into my midfield as my M6. What can I change to make that happen, or is it better the way it is:

DEF: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell, Vlastuin, Goodes, (Terlich, Colquhoun)

MID: Ablett, Pendles, Dangerfield, Swallow, Bennell, Stevens, K.Mitchell, O'meara (Couch, Viney)

RUC: Jacobs, Currie (Rowe, Daw)

FWD: Cox, Roughy, Rockliff, Martin, Varcoe, Macaffer (Kerridge, Neade)

only $28k in the bank :/ how can i make this miracle happen?

57. PortJared04 says:

Matthew Wright or Jack Watts or Mark LeCras? (Or anyone else you think that is lower than $475k)
    FWD line as it stands

Cox, Rockliff, Martin, Broughton (who I think I'll trade out for one of those two^), Varcoe, Karnezis (Kerridge, Macaffer)

58. Adam says:

Can't decide
    K Stevens or O Wines??

• Adam says:

Actually
      Stevie J and Stevens
      or
      Harley Bennell and Wines

• SCaddict says:

b) only because I don't like the idea of Stevie J in the middle. Better placed in your forward line if you really want him.

Btw Wines and Stevens are very tough to split but I'd lean slightly Koby's way.

59. Podsi says:

So much more to debate on: D.Martin or Zorko?? Fyfe or Selwoord?? Pav or Steve J???

• jockreynolds says:

For what it's worth – the Father of Fantasy reckons ZORKO, SELWOOD and STEVIE J for starters

• Podsi says:

Cheers Jock, with burger most likely missing 1st rd and or 2, 3.. would you think it better to have currie move in R2 and keep Burger as a POD on the bench or do I trade up Burger to RYDER and re arrange my FWD line to show 3 elite 2 mid… In saying that would Stevie J still be a good pick if your going for the overall (top 1000) finish this year…

• Eagle says:

Any clown who puts tats on his neck has a pea brain and will fail!
      Stay clear of Martin he aint real sharp it seems.

60. Monty says:

Seeing a lot of cookie cutter sides show up

61. James says:

Hey folks,

Def:
    Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell, Vlastuin, Goodes (Terlich, Docherty)
    Mid:
    Ablett, Pendles, Dangerfield, Cotchin, Deliedo, Stevens, Wines, O'Meara (Mitchell, Crouch)
    Ruck: Jacobs, Currie (Witts, Rowe)
    Fwd:
    Cox, Roughead, Rockliff, Lecras, Mayes, Macaffer (Neade, Lee)

Bank: 37,700.

Any thoughts anyone?

I just want to ask all of you what you think of Macaffer and Lee? Not sure about them two yet.

62. Bomber attack says:

Great pod cast fellas. Made me change my team once again:/ but I think I’ve come up with a fairly balanced team. Still not happy with my forward line. Would it be wise to fit in Stevie j in there? Any comment or feed back would be greatly appreciated:)

Here’s my team as it stands

Backs: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffy, hepps, goodes, colquon ( docherty, terlich)

Mids: yablett, swan, pendles, kennedy, cotchin, wines, crouch, jager bomb (mitchell, viney)

Rucks: saucy, currie ( witts, Rowe )

Forwards: coxy, roughy, rocky, dusty, mc caffer, kerridge ( b. kennedy,j neade)

• SCaddict says:

Very respectable selections BA across your backs, mids and rucks.

But like many teams here reckon you're a tad vulnerable at the bottom end of your forward line.

I will be interested to see the mad scramble around here if Macaffer isn't named at Rd 1 or gets the green vest. For I've noticed many have him as their F5 or F6 with no one on their bench likely to cover him or anyone else missing from their forward line.

Still I suppose if everyone else has those donuts too then it all cancels out but I'm structuring my forward line to greatly reduce the likelihood of donuts appearing in my forward or ruck depts.

63. Carl says:

Ablett and Martin +$5k

Vs

Pendlebury and Stevie J +$35k

Thoughts??

64. top hawk says:

I am not gonna give you my side for judgement. Why would I, I am happy to read your proposed teams and use your brainpower to my advantage….but if u wanna win this thing, you have to be strategic and not "put it all out there" !! Bring it on I say!

• Eagle says:

Yup, why give up the team you think will win it for you!

• Eagle says:

I have no hawks in my team!!!

• SCaddict says:

Don't reckon that's a particularly helpful attitude myself. Perhaps Jock shouldn't post his cheat sheets then or maybe the guys should keep their thoughts to themselves and cancel their weekly podcast. In fact let's just scrap the comments section altogether…bugger it…the whole website whilst we are at it!

Nah it's all about information sharing I say. There needs to be some balance of give and not just all take. Perhaps you're just worried about your team being dissected by others?? Most of us here are playing this for fun not sheepstations.

• Podsi says:

1st initial team is all for sharing, its the smart trading during the year that will get you over the line any how…

65. dools says:

I had an epiphany last nite …New Pope and all.
    why is everyone so gung ho for lock fwds? They are the inconsistant part of the team even when you pick well..given the lack of quality Mid/Fwds and Back mids and same old same old Rucs I have gone with something totally against Last Year
    Back line locks…Duffman(Oh Ya!) P. Hanley (Go you good thang)
    Hurn ( will play in Mid and Fwd Line) Gibbs (So far so good) Goodes Pittard ( dropped the double barrel name CanPLAY) Stevenson and Terlich.
    Mids GAJ, Pendles, Beams, Kennedy, Dangermouse, Jack, Mitchell,Jager,Crouch (May drop Danger to Tadahh! Sidebum same deal as last year Ball Gone who stood up Sidebum did. Or beams young brothr Clay Watch Nab Final
    Rucs ever changing fluid stuff Cox, Vardy, Rowe, Currie
    Very lite up front
    But this is a winning thing Varcoe, Rocky,O'hAlphin Krakour, Patton could change ,trest rookies coin left $40K
    So I made the hard choice and now I;m telling the community
    Ya the team will change but I am set on a Solid B/Line this year everything Flows
    Now where did I put that bottle of Shiraz?

• Carl says:

Dumb idea mate, miss out on a fair few def rookies, which is the most productive position for rookies this year after mid.

You also miss out on some mid rookies which are the best for cash generation by a mile. You’ll need some $$ to upgrade a whole fwd line apart from rocky.

And you miss out on any other fwd premiums?? Too many downsides for a quality backline set up?

• dools says:

Thanks Carl, But the Vino says I'm right I saw it in a stain on me Tee shirt So given the gravity of picking a new Pope I will go with I saw God LOL

• jimbotraralgon says:

Have to say that I'm not talking to my forward line either.

Don't know if I can go so many mids up forward though.
      Thinking two prmeos in zorko and rocky, Breakout in Martin and 2 mids in varcoe and karny plus the rookies of macaffer, Rowe and spangher (potential suckling replacement?)

Always listen to the vino, it knows best.it always knows best.

Cheers

66. CLIFFS CRUSADERS says:

Backs:
    Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppel, vlastuin, goodies (Stevenson & pittard)

Mids:
    Ablett, swan, pendles, danger, shuey, Mitchell, crouch, omeara (Stevens & viney)

Rucks:
    Jacobs, currie (Rowe & daw)

Forwards:
    Cox, Ryder, rockliff, Kennedy, varcoe, macaffer (Neade & Lee)

67. Colby says:

Is Ablett going to make you a million dollars?? Thats the question!

68. Billtang says:

Fyfe & Mundy OR Shuey & Moloney

69. Tom says:

Mundy and Stevie J OR Bennell and Zorko??????

70. Smithayy says:

Any thoughs or changes i could make?

Mid : Waston, Cotchin, Pendlebury, Selwood, Boak, Monfries, Mitchell K, O'Meara, (Crouch, Rampe)

Ruc : Jacobs, Leuenberger, (Rowe, Currie)

Fow : Bartel, Zorko, Rockliff, Kennedy, Karnezis, Varcoe, (Macaffer, Paparone)

Left over 1,000

Does anyone know whether Rampe is playing or not?

• Smithayy says:

Or change Boak and Monfries for Fyfe and Manger

• SCaddict says:

Well Rampe's chances of game time certainly went up when Johnson blew out his ACL on the weekend.

Although I don't know what's running through Horse's mind right now I still doubt Rampe can force his way into Sydney's best 22 unless there are further injuries or players like Mattner or Smith aren't able to make it back for Rd 1 in time.

It's just so hard for a youngster to break into superpowers like the Hawks, Pies and Swans atm. Quality players like Luke Parker have been battling to shed the green vest for goodness sake!

I'm keenly following Hill from the Hawks and actually reckon he's a better chance for being named for Round 1 than Rampe after his dazzling display on the weekend, that surely even Clarko can't ignore, but we'll just have to see there won't we with all their superstars set to return also.

Although I don't have huge raps on Viney myself his job security is seemingly much better than either so perhaps consider him for similar money to Rampe.

Alternatively you could look to replace Monfries who has hammy problems right now and bring in either Koby Stevens or Ollie Wines or even both which would solve your M8 problem.

71. J_Miester says:

Interested in thoughts from all – I have built the below team based on:

1. Building strong back and forward lines for the year given dearth of rookie talent in either.

2. Finding strong playing rookies, mids and potential breakout premiums that will score well and create value.

3. Creating swing options that will address whether a mid, forward or R2 is MIA

I know GAJ is missing! Aim to pick him up after creating some value by Round 5-6.

Thoughts???

B: B. Goddard, B. Gibbs, P. Duffield, H. Hartlett, D. Heppell, Goodes (Terlich, Colquhoun)

M: J. Watson, P. Dangerfield, S. Johnson, N. Fyfe, B. Moloney, K. Stevens, O. Wines, K. Mitchell (J. O'meara, J. Viney)

R: M. Leuenberger, D. Currie (J. Witts, S. Rowe)

F: D. Cox, D. Zorko, J. Bartel, T. Rockliff, D. Martin, P. Karnesis (B. McCaffer, J. Neade)

Cheers.

72. dannyboy says:

Hey guys i need some feedback on my team

Backs- Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppel, Vlastuin, Goodes (Docherty, Terlich)
    Mids- GAJ, Pendles, Delidio, Rockliff, Fyfe, Stevens, Mitchell, O'Mera, (Crouch, Viney)
    Rucks- Maric, Currie (rowe, witts)
    Fwds- Cox, Zorko, Martin, Broughton, Varcoe, Karnezis (Mcaffer, Lee)

unsure on martin and broughton and still dont know if i chuck moloney in somewhere
    all feedback appreciated

73. dwaino says:

Really struggling this year. Finding it really tough to include enough reliable and genuine PODs. Without the expansion teams this year it looks like we've nearly all got the same rookies as there are only a handful we can confidently bank on getting some early game time, and then there are the standard genuine premium locks that we're all picking up. Reckon once we lock in similar rookies and premiums around the same price tags, we're stuck with only 2 or 3 different combinations of in-betweeners, hence so many teams looking the same.

DEF: Duffield, Hurn, Heppell, Houli, Atley, B. Goodes (Terlich, Vlastuin)

MID: Ablett, Pendlebury, Deledio, Shuey, Moloney, K. Stevens, Wines, O'Meara (Crouch, Colquhoun)

RUCK: Jacobs, Z. Smith (Rowe, Currie)

FWD: J. Roughead, Rockliff, D. Martin, Varcoe, Byrnes, Karnezis (Macaffer, Kerridge)

Hoping Deledio over Dangerfield, Cotchin etc will make or break some games. Have had Hurn a couple years now, since he was cheaper, and has been one of my old faithful, so hoping some of these kind of blokes will break up the standard Goddard, Gibbs, etc. Rucks got really stuffed after the news about Leuy. Had to unwillingly tweak a few positions to make room for a serviceable ruckman. Fingers crossed Currie goes alright and I can stuff off Smith for a cheapy and inject the cash somewhere else early on. I've all but given up trying to be clever up forward. As long as it ticks over points I'll be stoked I reckon. Any advice will be a ripper.

• Eagle says:

POD's should not be part of your team selection thinking!!???
      YOU NEED TO CHOOSE THE BEST TEAM!!!!!!
      Trading will change everything anyway. You could have 30 people with the same starting team. If it was the highest scoring starting team it will still end up that those 30 teams would be different come finals time. IMOOC
      Looks like you have enough POD to be out of the race!
      If you are just copying posted teams you have no real hope.

• SCaddict says:

Don't forget what was discussed in the podcast regarding group thinking this week. Whilst it can be a little depressing seeing such similar teams there will probably be more diversity in teams in your leagues (unless they are all Jock Reynolds community members of course!) in the hundreds of thousands of fantasy entries out there.

Players like Goddard, Duffield, Gibbs, Heppell, Jacobs, Rocky, Zorko, Varcoe that get plenty of air time here (and deservedly so) may not be in every single team in your league even if they seem to be in every team here.

On the flip side for instance the No 1 pick Whitfield has barely been mentioned on this site and I can't remember seeing him in a single team here. But I can almost guarantee he will be in a few teams in your office leagues. Ditto for players like Maric, Shaw or Beams who virtually haven't been sighted here either.

I tend to subscribe to the view of the group thinking being more an advantage than a negative as most here are living and breathing fantasy football here more so than the average fantasy coach. So take advantage of the cheat sheets and popular opinions I reckon and make adjustments based on your own personal preferences.

• dools says:

G'day Dwaino, Great little peice Respect…Now you are thinking like an individual and I rate this highly..Not only have you reasoned your way through all the Guff on various websites (flavour of the day stuff) but in reality you have created a very unique and SC Scoring team (Was it a Shiaz or Cab Sav?Or a tinny of VB?)
      I hope you reply as I think this is one of the best teams and logial thinking/reasoning I have witnessed to date on site… Got to say Mid is Ohum but Solid Backs Solid Rucs and GFwds and I get why U did the mids that way
      Yours in SC Individuality
      Dools

74. dannyboy says:

should i keep crouch and viney or upgrade one of em for wines?

viney for wines

• SCaddict says:

Still haven't seen enough of young Viney playing against real men to be on the bandwagon just yet although I'm certainly not dismissing him.

But really liked what I've seen of Wines thus far. A tough in and under player that should produce Supercoach gold sooner rather than later.

Of course you'll have to pay the extra $60K for the privilege which will put some off but it's worth it in my humble view.

75. Liam says:

Thoughts on bachar houli?

76. Selwood's Slayers says:

Def: Gibbs, Hartlett, Heppell, Atley, Vlastuin, Goodes (Docherty (E), Terlich)

Mid: JPKennedy (C), Dangerfield (VC), JSelwood, Cotchin, Shuey, Fyfe, Wines, O'Meara (Crouch (E), Viney)

Ruck: Ryder, Jenkins (Witts, Currie (E))

Zorko, Bartel, Rockliff, JKennedy, Kerridge, Neade (Rowe, BKennedy (E))

Thoughts?
    $71k in the bank
    Should I get rid of Jenkins and put Currie on
    Then get Ablett?

77. jimbotraralgon says:

anybody thinking of holding onto berger and using currie as coverage till berger is back?

• JJFyzz says:

If he doesn't start the season then no for me.

He'll always be an injury risk but if he can't start the season without an injury, then how bad is it going to be when he starts banging into bodies out on the field.

• Podsi says:

Just as long he can stay on ground week in week out enough times for me to upgrade him to NIC NAT!! Then I'll be happy to keep him as sub

• dools says:

Nah Jimbo him gone. Great Value for coin but the buger ain't doin you any good as a DNS and remeber If it does't work u you can still get him for 300K! Currie will play alot this season and will be a New J.Giles but going reckless and depending on him to be the Next J Giles iis frought with bad things IMO
      Hope this is what U want to hear mate,2 Centsworth

78. Joseph says:

Cotchin or dangerfeild?

79. simmo3 says:

Goddard Gibbs heppel vlatsuin goodes Stevenson (docherty terlich)

Ablett swan Kennedy moloney varcoe Stevens wines crouch (Mitchell o’meara)

Jacobs currie (Rowe witts)

Franklin cox roughead zorko rockliff Martin (maccaffer paparone)

What do u think guys? Plenty of flexibility if currie does play and varcoe in the middle for fwd/mid link.

80. Podsi says:

Zorko or Stevie J?? Thoughts?? Looking for the overall win but also coming No.1 in my league!!

81. Podsi says:

Also… Where's the Ryder love?? Is he to much $$$ or will his time sharing ruck cost him to many points?? thoughts??

• BPP says:

more the money, and he also needs to prove he can consistently dominate, from an essendon fan…

• phoenix says:

Ive got a dilemma… do I go with lecras or moloney.. I have to take one of them, which is gonna help me in the long run? Help would be much appreciated :-)

• SCaddict says:

Moloney's the safer bet as I see it although have both firmly entrenched in my squad.

Returning from long term injury always adds to the risk level even if LeCras is flying at the moment. It's almost impossible to see how Moloney can't appreciate in value. It's more a question how much will he go up?

82. Hawkman says:

Hey guys hows it all going?

Here is my current team

DEF
    Goddard Gibbs Heppell Atley Vlastuin Goodes Pittard Terlich
    MID
    Ablett Pendlebury Dangerfield Cotchin Bennell Omeara Crouch Mitchell Stevens Wines
    RUCKS
    Jacobs Currie Rowe Daw
    FWD
    Cox Rockliff Zorko Johnson Karnezis McAffer Neade Lee

Im pretty happy with the team but unsure about Atley and Lee any suggestions would be great. Thanks

• kodesz says:

nice team, similar to mine. Not convinced on atley in the back line and tom lee wont play many games, otherwise a very solid side.

83. kodesz says:

im very keen on kane lucas this year, but still debating on whether to go for him or stick with koby stevens? anyone else like kane?

• Monty says:

Vest

• kodesz says:

that is a good point mate, but he spent a lot of time with it last year and i think mick is really looking to use him a lot more.

• SCaddict says:

I actually reckon his job security is pretty good compared to last season. Considering the pre-season he's had and Mick talking him up I'll be quite surprised if he doesn't get much game time this season.

He's been one of the Blues best performers in the NAB Cup with 16 disposals, 6 marks and 3 majors against the Crows last Friday.

84. Pox says:

Whats the go with Daw – Has he got a bung knee?

85. Popey99 says:

Hey Jock, ripsnorting podcast mate, really want your opinion on my team.

DEF: Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell, Vlastuin, Goodes, (Stevenson, Terlich)
    MID: Swan, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Shuey, Bennell, Stevens, K.Mitchell, O'Meara, (Crouch, Viney)
    RUC: Jacobs, Currie, (Rowe, Daw)
    FWD: Cox, Zorko, Rockliff, Martin, Varcoe, Karnezis, (Macaffer, B.Kennedy)

• Monty says:

Decent. You may feel the burn of GAJ though

• Popey99 says:

Yeah contemplating GAJ, would mean i have to drop Karnezis or Varcoe though.

• SCaddict says:

Probably worth it Popey. Another option could be to downgrade Dusty to LeCras or JJKennedy. Or convert either Shuey or Bennell to Moloney.

Just some other possibilities to consider but yes Gaz is hard to pass up on especially in SC.

86. Ben says:

Hey would appreciate anyone to rate it
    Who should i trade i have 87K left over

DEF; Goddard, Gibbs, Birchall, Heppell, Docherty, Goodes (Coloquohoun, Terlich)

MID: Pendulbury, Cotchin, Watson, Kennedy, Moloney, Wines, Crouch, Omeara
    (Viney, Mitchell)

RUCK: Jacobs, Leunberger (Currie, Rowe)

FORW: Franklin, Rockliff, Cox, Broughton, Varcoe, Macaffer (Dwyer, Kerridge)

Cheers

• kodesz says:

Must have ablett!!! change broughton to lecras or karnezis. I wont be going near franklin for the first few rounds mate so possibly look to change him.

• Anandu says:

I think you should swap watson for Ablett…
      It's a good team…

87. Ando says:

Who's going to have Shaun Atley? I'm still not sure.

• kodesz says:

i liked him, but have gone right of him now. Just dont think he has the ability to get enough of the ball to provide 80+ scores every week

• SCaddict says:

For a player costing $380K you want to be pretty bloody confident he's going to generate premium like output.

Atley may very well do that but nothing I've seen in the pre-season gives me any confidence there. Reckon you either be better off downgrading to a rookie or spending an extra $30K in bringing in a guy like Newey or Harbrow I'd have more faith in delivering the SC goods.

88. Fletch24 says:

Can I get some in put into my side would be much appreciated :)

Backs- Gibbs, birchall,duffield,heppell,goodes,terlich docherty,colquhoun

Mids- gaz,Watson,danger,swallow,fyfe,Stevens,vlastuin,omeara crouch,viney

Rucks- Jacobs,currie,Rowe,daw

Fwds- cox,rough,pav,rockliff,karnezis,mcaffer, kerridge,neade

Any opinions would be much appreciated

• Wino says:

Move Vlastuin into defense and ditch Colquhuon or Docherty for Kane Mitchell (or Wines if you can afford) in the mids.
      I can see you are trying to keep a BACK/MID DPP option open but probably not necessary if all your rookies play. Too many good cash cow rookies in the mids to waste a slot.

• dools says:

Started out great on all line. Are you want to rely on Currie? As R2?

89. Les says:

Maric, Currie
    (Rowe, WItts)

Forwards:
    Franklin, Cox, Rockliff
    Martin, Karnezis, Kennedy J
    (Macaffer, Neade)

Anyone have any thoughts on that i really wanted to have mundy and hannebery in my midfield somewhere but cant fit everyone in. I left Gary Ablett out as everyone has jumped on him and i ccan easily add him in if any other mid fails me.

90. Brett says:

thoughts on an alternative for luenberger, and haven't heard anyone mention scott selwood yet, thoughts on him?

91. Jimmy says:

DEF:
    Goddard, Gibbs, Duff, Heppell, Goodes, Stevenson (Terlich (E), Docherty)
    MID:
    Ablett (C), Pendlebury, JPK, Danger, Cotchin, Stevens, Mitchell, O'Meara (Crouch, Viney (E)
    RUC:
    Jacobs, Currie (Rowe (E) Witts)
    FWD:
    Cox (VC), Roughy, Rocky, Lecras, Karnezis, Macaffer (Neade (E) Lee)

Thoughts anyone?

92. keegan says:

personally think to stay awake from the high priced forwards that predominately have up and down games. especially when there is DPP players to choose from

93. tim says:

hey community i just cany figure out who too have as my 4th defender! these are my choices: Grimes, Heppell, Broughton, Newman and Watts also is shannon hurn a good POD this season??

94. tim says:

hey community Bennell or Mundy as my number 5 midfielder??

95. Anandu says:

I have Mundy as my 5th midfield at the moment…..
    They both played good….

96. Luke says:

chapman and plowman or ellis and karnezis?

97. Dean says:

Mitch Robinson as a forward POD

Thoughts?

98. Podsi says:

"The ruck is usually the 2nd highest scoring position after mids and before backs and fwds so I feel a lot of people will spend all their remaining cash on trying to fill those spots with premos like the mids. But this year is slightly different with so many potential high scoring rucks going down with injuries on the eve of rd 1.

The past two years we have had two additional teams join the league and we have been blessed with the scores from Smith and Giles. This says to me that it isn't too hard for first year players to score well in this positon as it is easier to score, as stated in my previous paragrapgh.

With both points of most quality rucks going down injured and the possibilites of currie/daw/rowe playing early on I feel there is a possibility of a few solid scores so we don't fall behind the back and also splashing some cash elsewhere, but also a chance for a solid profit from these players to turn into the likes of Nic Nat etc when they drop in price after coming back from injuries."

Thoughts

• Wino says:

Agreed Podsi – worth the punt to save some cash initially for other areas, especially with the dearth of good rookie forwards.

99. Matt w-p says:

G’day jock. Are this years break evens out or going to be out? Cheers you legend!!

100. Wino says:

Draft team #6346 – comments?

Backs:
    Goddard, Gibbs, Duffield, Heppell, Vlastuin, Goodes
    (Stephenson, Terlich)

Mids:
    GAJ, Pendles, JPK, Dangerfield, Moloney, Wines, K Mitchell, O'Meara
    (Crouch, Viney)

Rucks:
    Smith, Currie (Rowe, Daw)

Forwards:
    Franklin, Cox, Rockliff, Martin, LeCras, Karnezis
    (McCaffer, S Dwyer)

Running light in the rucks as Leuenberger seems a non starter R1. Wait and see on which premium ruck to pick.

101. Wino says:

Thoughts – Mid/Ruck combo:
    Moloney/Zac Smith or Koby Stevens/Mumford ?

102. jimbotraralgon says:

What to do about Watts?

I locked Watts into my F3 spot after the first week of NAB thinking I had found the next break out champ.

Now two weeks later and I look at him and all I can hear is crouching yelling 'burn man'.

I've got $110k and currently have rocky, dusty, varcoe, karny and macaffer in the other forwards positions.

At the moment Zorko the magnificient seems to be the obvious choice, who else?

or should I hold tight.

cheers.

• SCaddict says:

Not personally keen on Watts myself but he should still score well. Stevie J and Robbo from the Blues are other alternatives I like but yes Zorko is one that's hard to resist for sure.

• dools says:

G'day Jimbo,
      I can hear a Gun been Loaded from here with Dusty mate Nice sound ? unless he points it at heslf and he will ….Watts will play and play well but Dusty might not see U thru Rnd 2…IMO Burn Man Burn….

103. Kerrigan says:

Hi guys, I’d like some feedback on my team

Backs: Goddard, Gibbs, heppell, birchall, yarran, Stevenson, terlich & can unen
    Mids: ablett, danger, fyfe, j Steven, Moloney, k Stevens, o’meara, viney, Mitchell, crouch
    Rucks: roughhead, gorringe, currie & Rowe
    Fwds: cox, rockliff, Johnson, Martin, le cras, varcoe, macaffer& lee

I’ve loaded up the fwds & backs more than I would’ve liked but this is due to the limited rookies available in these positions. J Steven & Moloney have been selected as players who will give me 80-100 points a game and then be upgraded to premiums once the midfield rookies hit there ceiling

• SCaddict says:

Looks perfectly respectable to me mate. Perhaps would advise you swap Yarran for Goodes (who should be elevated to the senior list soon) and maybe use the cash to bring in another super elite mid in place of Fyfe or Steven. But this looks like a very well composed squad to me. Well done.

• Phil says:

Jack Steven an interesting POD had him in my team at one stage St Kilda easy early draw. Good luck with that one.

104. jimbotraralgon says:

Hi guys.

just a reminder that I have created a Jock Reynolds group which everyone can join. doesnt affect your leagues at all.

lets find out who is the ultimate supercoach god in the jock reynolds community. Your reputation is at stake.

1. If you have ALREADY REGISTERED for the Herald Sun SuperCoach Competition, simply click the following link (you may need to login): http://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/group?cic=6870
    (Once logged in, simply confirm your invitation and you'll be automatically added. Private Groups are a separate feature to the five head-to head leagues of 18, in which you may continue to participate as usual).

2. If you have NOT YET REGISTERED, simply click on the link below and fill in the registration form as usual: http://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/?p=register&am
    (On successful registration, you'll automatically be added to this Group. Simply look for the "GROUP" tab in the nav of your Leagues page).

105. Mitchell Brendel says:

This is my team at the moment
    DEF – Goddard, Waters, Gibbs, Russel, Docherty, Terlich, Vlastuin and Goodes
    MID – Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Cotchin, Whitfield, K Mitchell, Crouch, Omeara, Viney and Colquhoun
    RUCK – Cox,Leuenberger,Rowe and Currie
    FWD – Franklin,Ryder,Rockliff, J Kennedy,Varcoe,Macaffer, Danier and Neade
    354,500 left of money

106. Shimma says:

Hey community, anyway think having Macaffer on field with Rowe and Dwyer on the bench is too risky for my forward line?

107. John says:

Hey peeps, first time posting on here and hope i can get a bit of a response :)

Here is my team :)

108. Jaybee23 says:

Who can we get for the bench apart from mccaffer for same price or lower

• SCaddict says:

Sadly no one else has put up their hand yet. There are a few potentials out there but it looks a pretty barren landscape right now. Check out Jock's rookie cheat sheet for alternatives.

109. Pedro says:

G'day Community, any feedback on my team would be greatly appreciated

Backs: Goddard, Duffield, Heppell, Vlastuin, Goodes, Terlich, Stevenson, Docherty
    Mids: Gazza, Pendles, Swan, Dangerfield, Watson, Stevens, K Mitchell, O'Meara, Crouch, Viney
    Rucks: Roughhead, Currie, Rowe, Witts
    Forwards: Franklin, Cox, Rockliff, Martin, Macaffer, Varcoe, Kerridge, Lee

Was thinking Bellchambers as a roughie in the ruck?

Cheers

110. Dee says:

Thoughts on Bellchambers this year anyone? Considering him as my R1…. Was great towards the end of the season last year, could follow it up this year and maybe a breakout season for him? Only $459K…. Worth considering community?

111. PortJared04 says:

If you want any tips or help like myself and my mates page

112. Michael says:

Hi All! This is my second year and last year I was humiliated in SC. So i would really appreciate advice! Especially I pay $50 for my league! Any comments on my team would be GREATLY appreciated!!

DEF:
    Goddard, Gibbs, Maguire, Roughead, Vlastuin, Docherty and (Stevenson, Terlich)

MID:
    Swan, Kennedy, Dangerfield, Murphy, Heppell, Moloney, Mitchell, O'Meara and (Crouch, Viney)

RUC:
    Cox, Jacobs and (Rowe, Currie)

FWD:
    Ryder, LeCras, Jenkins, Siposs, Varcoe, Karnezis and (Macaffer, Lee)

Please any comments I would be very happy!!! :)