NAB Cup Form Analysis – Brisbane, Gold Coast, Hawthorn

Filed in NAB Cup 2, NAB Cup Analysis, Supercoach by on February 24, 2013 • views: 1079

AFL Supercoach guru Jock Reynolds

BRENT MOLONEY PUTS HIS HAND UP

It was hot, humid and slippery. The ball was like a piece of bloody soap. The footy wasn’t pretty but there was still plenty of AFL Fantasy related relevance to take away from the GABBA last night.

BRISBANE LIONS

• Brent Moloney (MID, $362,400 SC) looked lean, hungry, relentless and sharp. Looks the in and under hard nut the Lions need. Gathered 42 DT points against the Hawks then impressed again with limited game time in the Gold Coast game. Has featured prominently this pre season in the mid price cheat sheet and looks a good mid priced option. At this stage he won’t be in my team but certainly edged closer to a berth.
  • Tom Rockliff (MID/FWD, $520,500 SC) was good. He gains forward line eligibility this season which makes him pretty attractive. I reckon he will spend much of his time in the guts this season. 9 touches game 1 then a game high 13 in the Suns game. Consider.
  • Patrick Karnezis (FWD, $262,200 SC) surprised even this old legend of Australian Rules Fantasy Football. Was used in defense and looked bloody impressive. 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles v Hawthorn with the second highest Dreameam score for the game on 45. Didn’t play the second game.. cant wait to see his next hit out. Watch. If you are considering a mid priced strategy he could be a nice smokey.
  • Sam Docherty (DEF, $115,900) was pretty quiet all night – must slip down the pecking order of defense rookie options but very early days folks.
  • Aaron Cornelis (FWD, $256,500) and Mitch Golby (DEF, $406,600) also impressed.

GOLD COAST SUNS

• Rory Thompson (DEF, $283,400) destroyed a sluggish Buddy Franklin and also gathered the 3rd most Dreamteam points for that game with an impressive 38.
  • Harley Bennell (MID, $521,900) has bulked up right through the trunk under the watchful eye of his mentor Karmichael Hunt and looked bloody dangerous. I reckon he could reach elite this season. Consider for your midfield.
  • Jaeger O’Meara (MID, 115,900) did a bit in each game without being brilliant. Still locked in on my midfield bench as a ready made senior footballer.
  • Gary Ablett (MID, $740,500) did what he always does, forget about any pre season injury whispers. Lock.
  • Zac Smith (RUCK, $374,900) scored strongly… could be ready to break out this season. Watch. At age 23 as an early developing big fella 2013 could be his time.

HAWTHORN

• Matt Suckling (DEF, $442,400) was everywhere in game 1 collecting 8 sizzling kicks and 5 handballs. Hawthorn will try to get the ball in his hands whenever they can. On the other side of the coin opposition will be hell bent on making sure the ball does not get into his hands.
  • Jonathan Simpkin (MID, $198,000) had a corker in Hawks game 2 topping the pops with 11 kicks (more kicks than anyone in a single game for the evening). Great pickup from Geelong… awkward price though.. not a yes from me yet.
  • Jarryd Roughhead (FWD/RUCK, $554,800) played down back for the night. Looks a good defender but Supercoach and AFL Fantasy-wise I don’t like it. Watch to see if this was just a bit of hit and giggle or if he is being groomed to help out a flimsy Hawk back half.
  • Buddy Franklin (FWD, $618,000) looked sluggish and may just have had the odd pie in the off season. At this stage I’ll go into season 2013 without him.

Over to the community – what did you think of last night?

HUGE podcast tonight – all the big stories from the weekend and more.. things are heating right up!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Luke says:

Jock, why aren’t you putting moloney in? He looked hard at it all night and could even go back to averaging 95+ , which means he would be around 500k+. Who else is going him?

• jockreynolds says:

Gday there Luke! Thanks for the question mate. Just want to see him perform at that level for a few more NAB game mate – will have had the adrenaline pumping like no bodies business in his forst game for a new club. I need to be convinced that he can provide regular premiun output.

• aleye72 says:

Jock old Boy, if not Moloney who are the others you'd look at then, Thought Z.Smith has just about been the best performed Ruck so far. IMO

• aleye72 says:

fell in love with him in he's debut yr, then injuries spoilt he's season last yr so he's got a good chance to start in my team this yr.

2. Nick says:

Hey Jock, I have both Zorko and Rockliff in my team, both did very well for me last year. Do you think they can keep up the workload from last year and keep my points high?

3. Brick says:

I like cunnington for the mid price mid selection, think the roos will present good value this season and make the finals again. Which usually means points up for grabs.

4. Great call on Franklin Jock ! Its a definite no from me !!
    Moloney has looked the best mid-priced midfield option so far and if anybody has Luke Ball in their teams ahead of Moloney I'd strongly recommend a direct switch.

Great round up as always Jock – looking forward to today's game already

5. Tom says:

What's everyone's take on how many mid-priced players we should have in our teams? Right now i have Atley, Moloney, Lecras, Monfries, Siposs & Varcoe. Is this too many?

• Mac says:

If you have 4 midpricers in the forward line that's way too many in my opinion. However 6 midpricers is the same amount that last years Supercoach winner started with. 3 of them were keepers and the other 3 were traded out after earning around $150k each.

• jockreynolds says:

Horses for courses but for mine that's too many. Having said that they all look like pretty good selections this season so if your punt comes off you'll be laughing all the way to the flag

• PluggersGuts says:

I like that strategy champ! A cheeky POD amongst that lot wouldn't hurt you either.

6. Chris says:

Who would you pick over buddy??

I have cox, buddy, rockliff, varcoe, Byrnes, maccafer ( kerridge, neade)

• keaton says:

Even though he’s out round 1. Stevie j perhaps.

• Mac says:

Taylor Walker is a good replacement, but he's a key forward so will probably have some erratic scoring. Dustin Martin is a lot cheaper than buddy and is looking to break out this year. If you choose the latter, you will end up with some money to upgrade in other lines.

7. Chris says:

Yep was thinking stevie. Cheers mate

8. Chris says:

Thanks guys, something to think about!

9. Chris says:

Can u guys give me so feed back on my team please??

Def: Goddard, Gibbs, hamish hartlett, broughton, b goodes, colquhoun ( docherty , terlich )

Mids: Ablett, pendlebury, dangerfield, shuey, fyfe, moloney, k Mitchell, viney ( crouch, o’meara )

Rucks: s Jacobs, leunburger ( witts , currie )

Fwd: cox, rockliff , d Martin, varcoe, siposs maccafer ( kerridge, neade)

• Tom says:

Looking good there mate. Very similar to my team and will be similar to a lot of other teams. I would take a risk a choose a smokie that many teams won't have in the midfield. Players like swallow, boyd, thompson, selwood, jack, priddis………

If you're going for the 50k, this is a very solid team, if you're going for your league, i would pick an Elite smokie

10. Chris says:

Cheers mate, I’ve put a bit of time into my team, but the more I see of other people’s teams they ate very similar! So I think you might be right there. Just not sure who!

11. Brick says:

Whoa whoa whoa…….. No to buddy love already. Ignore at your peril. He can come out firing in rd1 and bang in 10.

I swear you lot need a slap on the back of the head. It's the NAB cup and the hawks are hunting a flag. This preseason malarky means nothing to them. NOTHING!(sorry to yell on a sunday morn)

For me he's a lock.

• Tom says:

He's not worth the 618k though. And look at the Hawks' first 3 rounds:
      R1: vs Geelong. No way can he score 10 goals against them
      R2: vs West Coast in Perth. Always a struggle for any team
      R3: vs Collingwood. He may kick a few, but won't be able to keep up with his break even target by this point.

It's evident that Buddy will drop in price and it's for this reason that you should wait a couple of rounds before picking him up at a cheaper price

12. Phil says:

I've liked Harley Bennell since the all stars game and I agree with you Jock I reckon he could be an elite this year. Got him as my M3 at the moment.

13. james says:

hi guys agree on buddy looked sluggish and has some hard mtches ahead

wondering if I could have some help on who to rreplace him with. I have

walker, rockliff, varcoe, mayes and macaffer

14. Phil says:

Any love for Sierakowski for a d7/8?

15. Tom says:

Hey Jock & Community, would like some help with my FWD lineup plz:

As it stands: Pavlich, Walker, Rockliff, Varcoe, Byrnes, Macaffer (Lee, McBean)
    (Cox in the RUC)

What are your thoughts?
    I'm a bit iffy about Varcoe and Byrnes, is having both of them a big risky? Should I upgrade one of them to Siposs or Monfries?

16. Ben says:

What about Lonergan? Thought he was good last night, at least as good as O'Meara.

17. alex says:

is corchin a suitable choice for a premium midfielder or should i be looking elsewhere????

18. Adam says:

Maric or Jacobs in Ruck?

19. Jarod says:

Jock what about Rich from Brisbane?

20. Harry says:

Does anyone know what Gary ablett's break even is cause I want in my team but I thought I could pick him up later if his break even is too high once he has gone down in money

• Tom says:

His break even is 137, very get-able for Ablett. Don't pick him up later. Start with him

• PluggersGuts says:

He looked sharp for NAB rnd 1 didn't he. I sat on him in 2010 'til round 4 and it paid dividends, but I'll be locking him in for round 1 this year.

• Shimma says:

even if his price does go down, you'll have to wait about 10 rounds before his price is low enough for you to upgrade someone to him, and by that time with no Ablett your season could be already over

21. mattywheelahan says:

Lonergan, O'meara, Goodes, Pittard to be gun rookies! ive got lonergan, o'meara and pittard.

22. mattywheelahan says:

[polldaddy 6917308 http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/6917308/ polldaddy]

23. Aaron says:

forward line options are rubbish this year Jock! too many key position players rather than mid/fwds. Not happy!

24. cakeater says:

hi first time for the season

thoughts – a bit different

back-goddard-gibbs-birchall – pearce(freo)-watts-talia – – -blee – richardson(North)

mid-swan-watson-cotchin-hill(hfc)-vlastuin(tiger)-aylett-lonergan(gc)-omeara(gc)
    —–kerridge(crow) – colguhoun(port)

ruck – Cox – Zac Smith —— currie (north) – hannanth (freo)

fwd – rockliff – robinson- ryder -jack riewoldt – cloke – josh kennedy
    —- brad dick (wce) – v mitchie (freo)

going for rookie midfield trying 2 make some big cash b4 round 12
    have a good swing set i think
    33500 left in the bank

anythought lads?

25. Kyle says:

claye beams?

26. Bro says:

Hey guys, just wanted to get your thoughts on my current dt team.

BACKS: Goddard, Gibbs, Hanley, Broughton, Pittard, Goodes, Docherty, Terlich.

MIDS: Swan, Boyd, Cotchin, Pendles, H Bennell, Wines, K Mitchell, Omeara, Viney, Crouch.

RUCKS: Cox, Berger, Witts, Currie

FORWARDS: Rockliff, N Riewoldt, Monfries, Knights, Varcoe, Byrnes, Macaffer, Neade.

Anything in particular you find needs changing? or any good suggestions? I still have a decent chunk of money in the bank (220k) so I have room to move.

Cheers, Bro

• cakeater says:

spen some o that $$$$$ i think about 100k in the bank would be a good start for round 1 bring in buddy for saint nick big buddys going 2 tear everyone who does not have him a new asshole

• Mac says:

Looks good but I'd upgrade Knights as I really don't see him breaking out this year.

• Shimma says:

use that money to maybe upgrade boyd to Ablett, and im not too sure on Nick Riewoldt, maybe someone like Tex Walker could be better?

• Bro says:

My thoughts were that the hawks have a tough first 3 matches and the saints have a far easier time at the start, so saint nick may increase a bit and buddy reduce a bit, then make the swap. I am thinking this may happen, if not i will prolly lose nothing other than a bit of scoring in the first few rounds. So i think i like nick for a short while.

I am unsure of knights myself (and byrnes for that matter), so i am thinking of upgrading one with the cash as suggested, just unsure who to upgrade, and who to atm. Just looking at some more preseasaon matches til i make the decision.

With regards to Ablett, he has a few tough tags on him within the first 6 rounds, so i am thinking of holding off on him until after round 6, and possibly upgrading boyd then.

Thanks for the comments, i am happy to hear more. Currently i am still unsure about wines, terlich and docherty as well, might change them to someone else.

27. Tim says:

Hey community who do you think will score better bruest or monfries

28. Jarod says:

Hey Guys Jacobs or Atley, leaning towards Jacobs.

• Bree says:

Neither Jacobs or Atley played in these matches so I'm not sure why you're posting your question here. But you're crazy if you go Jacobs over Atley.

29. Ram-Rod says:

Onto Zac Smith like a fat kid on a smartie ;)

30. Mark says:

Zac smith or Jenkins for r2?

31. Brick says:

Debunking a previous comment that buddy won't score well in the early rounds….

Buddy's start last season.

Last season

RD 1 vs the pies 142
    RD2 vs the cats 89
    RD3 vs the crows 118
    rd4 vs the WCE 89

His last score against the WCE rd23 was 112 and the pies in the QF was 117.

Never mind the NAB – the hawks hunt a flag.

32. SCaddict says:

Just my second year of Supercoach and I'm obsessed. I'm going with a mid priced strategy packed with players likely to get at least some midfield action. Keeping $300K in the bank for early upgrades.

BACKS: Gibbs, Broughton, Harbrow, Newey, Goodes, Terlich, Pittard

MIDS: Ablett, J.P.Kennedy, Parker, Lower, Moloney, Wines, O'Meara, Viney, K.Mitchell, Crouch

RUCK: Goldy, Leuey, Rowe, Currie

FWDS: Zorko, Rocky, Dusty, Monfries, Lecras, Siposs, Varcoe, Macaffer

Welcome any suggested improvement or criticisms?