NAB Cup Form Analysis – Richmond, North Melbourne, Melbourne

Filed in NAB Cup 1, NAB Cup Analysis, Supercoach by on February 23, 2013 • views: 1136

AFL Supercoach guru Jock ReynoldsENTER MAJAK

Gday there folks – ripping evening of footy last night and some significant Supercoach and AFL Fantasy form indicators to discuss;

•  Majak Daw (NM, ruck, $115,900 SC) will be an excitement machine of the future if he can keep his loose cannon tendancies in check. Needs to be considered for your 3rd of 4th ruck positions. Collected 9 possessions and a goal from his 2 hit outs but more impressive was the fact that he has MATCHWINNER and BUMS ON SEATS written all over him for North Melbourne. Have a squizz at last nights video below, then another from 2011.. he does this whenever he bloody wants. There is a question mark over his attitude but we’ll see how this pans out

•  Daniel Currie (ruck, $109,500) was not to be outdone in the ruck at North and he looked a reasonable 3rd or 4th ruck prospect as well. He had just 65% game time in their second game of the evening but collected 14 hit outs and some nice touches. Pumped the ball inside 50 a few times. Where Majak will be flashy Daniel will be reliable. How does North handle this? Todd Goldstein (who was rubbish last night) must have the #1 ruck position locked in. Daniel is a quality ruckman. But Majak needs to ply his trade at the highest level.
  • Shaun Atley (NM, def, $380,400) has featured prominently in the mid priced cheat sheet and in Mr Crimmins’ write ups this season. As expected he ran through the midfield and is developing into a quality footballer. Collected 9 kicks and 1 handball against the Demons in game 1. Faded slightly against Richmond but solidifies his claims for a position in all of our back lines.
  • Jack Watts (MELB, def/fwd, $460,100 SC) looked magnificent drifting around half back. Reading the ball sensationally, looks ready to justify his #1 draft selection. My utmost respects re: his choice of facial hair. The beard needs to stay. In my team at the moment. Topped the scoring for Melbourne against Richmond with 43 AFL Fantasy points. Age wise fits the profile of a player about to reach his peak.
  • Jimmy Toumpas (MELB, mid, $184,500 SC) was signed for four years by Melbourne during the week which is strange for a new draftee. After watching him move around the park I would have signed him for 10. 8 possessions, 3 of them contested and a sausage roll against Richmond last night and collected 41 AFL Fantasy points (2nd for Melbourne behind Watts)
  • Brandon Ellis (RICH, def, $300,100 SC) impressed me all night and looks to have developed in the off season. Many would baulk at a second year player but I see potential for a step up in output from Brandon this season. On my watch list after last night
  • Chris Newman (RICH, def, $412,000 SC) looks in bloody goon nick. The Crouching One has been banging on about him all pre season. Does not have the captaincy looming over him this season and looked bloody dangerous pumping the ball forward last night. An option down back despite his advanced years.
  •  Nick Vlastuin (RICH, mid, $159,500 SC) collected an equal richmond game high 9 possessions in richmond’s second hit out looks a player of the future. Unlikely to select him in my team with that inflated price tag and the other cheaper offerings but well worth a thought.
Plenty more we can bang on about here… over to my beloved community, what caught your eye last night?

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. jesseTCL says:

G'day there Jock! Spectacular article as usual. Maybe me chop and change my team a bit. Any thoughts?

Defenders – goddard, gibbs, b. goodes, watts, broughton, atley (terlich, van unen)
    Mids- Gablett, dangerfield, j. kennedy, murphy, j. selwood, crouch, viney, o'meara (mayes, vlastuin)
    Rucks – jenkins, burger (rowe, currie)
    Forwards- Buddy, roughy, varcoe, monfries, siposs, kerridge (neade, macaffer)

37k left in the bank

• Paul says:

I think Neade is a rookie (you may want to check this). That being the case, he may not be available when round 1 comes around.

• Kev says:

too heavy down back I reckon jesseTCL. I'd swing watts or broughton forward for possibly kerridge (don't see him playing a lot) Pick up colquhoun or docherty for down back

• Paddles says:

Vlaustin down back Wines in the middle more mid rookies around if you have good duel position ones put them there allows you to put you rookies that are mids only in your team as well..

2. Great Stuff Jock,

Watts has come into my thinking after last night, might be a better option than broughton who is in my current team – looking forward to making the comparison after the weekend

3. Luke says:

Should we keep goldy even after his performance last night?

4. Paul says:

Nick Vlastuin (RICH, mid, $159,500 SC) – inflated price tag???? Really?

5. Max says:

Nth defenders McMahon and Thompson looked good. Toumpas was great and Arnot was solid aswell and he looks like a good in and under player another rookie to look at!

6. Brendan Floggard says:

Majak will struggle to get a game won’t he?

• rexinator says:

I heard Chris Scott say he needs to out do the other big blokes to get a game, if they get injured to any of them he would be included.

so it is a no for now even after his nab game last night

7. Moeyy says:

how did viney go??

8. Brick says:

Before the game I was all over Watts like a cheap suit, but I do believe that one thing concerns me greatly. He does not tackle and I don't see many contested marks. Ok so the latter he could get away with if he's going to plow in 30+ possi's but not a single tackle in G1 – priddis my old fav, is a machine when it comes to tackling. Eilte status players tackle. Look at the stats why don't ya! But still, I think I can squeeze him in over bloody broughton – when considering old mate higgo's chart on point greatness, it's a no brainer………… And the beard.

• Tom says:

So you're saying Watts over Broughton?

• Mac says:

"I think I can squeeze him in over bloody broughton" – That should answer your question Tom.

• Brick says:

To right I am. Higgo's chart plots the rise and rise of Jack Watts (well sort of). He was a number 1 draft pick y'know.

Don't expect 120's but def tons will come,hoping for an average just over 100. FINGERS CROSSED.

9. Kev says:

Not feeling the manlove for watts at all! Want to see a fantasy relevant season or two before I jump on. For 460k he is neither a premium defender or a mid pricer. Better options out there. No for me.

• Brick says:

And they are?

• Rooboy says:

I have never been much of a wrap for Watts myself as a player but he is on my radar for strategic reasons. Watts may not go up too much in price but he won't go down that much either (if at all). And at his price as it is now, it will be a very easy to use my first half decent cash cow to upgrade him to a premium of my choosing.

• PluggersGuts says:

Some guys take a few years to live up to the hype. As a Saints man, I cast my mind back some years to one B. Goddard. I see some simlarities here. He's on the cusp and with another pre season behind him, this might just be his year.

10. Paddles says:

Petterd looked like he will slot into halfback got a few touches and he is cheap.

11. Expat Supercoach says:

Got a couple of questions for the genius that is the J Reynolds fantasy footy community…

1. Fyfe and Breust OR Mundy and Rockliff
    2. Goldstein and Yarran OR Jenkins and Watts/Hanley/Broughton

• dools says:

Fine Q there mate, i would personly go 2nd option Goldmebr and Yarran however Ithink J.Jenkins is a solid pick along with hanley scratch Watts and Broughton Burn man Burn until after rnd 1 then you may see plan for Broughton burn ….

• Shimma says:

mundy and rockliff for 1, and jenkins with any of those 3 i reckon for 2

• Expat Supercoach says:

Thanks lads!

12. free lance says:

what did everyone think of hawthorns Angus Liquorland?? he doesn't mind "romancing the can" with jock on a saturdee arvo…

13. BeerMonkey says:

Did knights do anything for Richmond? Pettard and byrnes also? I’m keen on one of the 200k fwds, did any stand out?

14. alex says:

is cotchin a suitable choice for a premium midfieder or should i be looking elsewhere???

15. mizza8541 says:

whats up with viney playing a tagging role?
    is that a sign of things to come?

16. PluggersGuts says:

Get on big Dan Currie. Dominated in 2012 for North Adelaide wearing the number 18. He's back home in VIC now after big stints in NSW and SA and at age 24, he's coming into his own as a big man. Coach loves him.

17. Brad says:

hey jock, whats your thoughts on talia

18. MeanMachine says:

Big Guy! thoughts on Sidebottom this year? Can he hold his average?

19. Jarod says:

Hey Jock should I go for Newman or Watts?

20. KING ARTHUR says:

Watts has to prove his maturity in the real deal ,not the 'Mickey Mouse 'nab cup!
    A risky s.c selection. But this year WATCH ROCKLIFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. PluggersGuts says:

Hello fantasy community. Geez old Boomer looked like a bloody teenager in NAB2. Could we have an SC renaissance from the little Jack Russell? He was all over it. Not picking him just yet, but standing to attention for NAB2 as a POD folks.

22. An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a co-worker who has been doing a little homework

on this. And he in fact ordered me lunch due to the fact that I found it for him…

lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!

But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this subject here on your web page.