Fantasy Footy Radar 2013 – Jarryd Roughead

You can snag the big Orange Roughie in either your Ruck or your Forward line in season 2013. We have 15 RUCK/FWDS in 2013 so this is one area of the game you need to have a think about at some stage.

And big Jarryd Roughead looks a reasonable selection in 2013. There is already plenty of excitement about the possibility of Roughead, Nic Nat, Cox, young Josh Jenkins, Paddy Ryder and others swinging like rusty gates between your ruck and forward lines.

However I’m not thinking yet about how I’ll be able to swing him into my ruck, swap him for Nackers, shake his around a few times, rub some salt on my forearm… none of that. That is the trap that so many young ones get caught up in at this time of the season. This is the time for assessing which of your premium options are VALUE and who is LIKELY to provide you with premium output for the entirety of the season.

No I know I prattle on like an old fool sometimes… but don’t get me wrong. The ruck/fwd scenario is an important one this season. Higgo won’t stop reminding me of that. I just don’t want it to blind the young members of the Jock Reynolds fantasy footy community to the more important facts and assessments that need to be made. I warned the kids last year about being hell bent on picking a bye friendly team.. was old Jock right? Course he bloody was. If you were one of them.. don’t get down on yourself. Just LEARN. That’s what this magnificent game is about folks. Even old Jock made the odd mistake back in the early days of Fantasy Football.

Who we bloody talking about again? Righto… Jarryd Roughead. Lets have a look at the kid:

The facts:

2013 Price: Supercoach: $554,800, Dreamteam: $472,200
2013 Position: RUCK/FWD
2012 averages: 104 SC, 92 DT (20 games)
2011 averages: 101 SC, 84 DT (11 games)
2010 averages: 78 SC, 70 DT (22 games)
Age: 26

Jock’s Verdict:

Regardless of his DPP appeal I like Roughie as an option this season.

• He’s reasonably priced. Anticipate that this price will rise if he stays on the park. I see him averaging 105+ Supercoach points this season.
  • He’s now got a solid season and will have a preseason under his wing since his injury dramas in 2011 so I feel good about his fitness. Should get through this season strongly
  • He’s 26 this season. We all know that the tall timber begins to kick into gear at about this time to its time for Rough to make some hay here.
  • Yes.. he has that Ruck eligibility. Could come in very handy if you like the look of Jenkins, NicNat, Ayce Cordy and even Shaun McKernan in your ruck division. All ruck/Fwds.
  • A word of caution – he may spend a little bit more time up forward this season… watch this in the NAB.. this won’t be a good thing if it pans out.

He must at the very least be right in the mix this season in all AFL Fantasy Footy codes. If I had to pick my side today I’d likely have him up forward. At this stage I’m considering a ruck division of Goldstein, Leuenberger, Cordy and R4 with Roughy up forward. Plenty of water to go under the old bridge though yet folks. Not sure bout Nic Nat yet.. not too happy with his price considering the fitness dramas he has…

How’s your ruck division shaping up?

Click here for all the players on Jock’s Radar in AFL Fantasy 2013

1. Dools says:

I like the Orange Ruff, but as yiu said above I think he will be more a FWD then RUC so SC Points drop off BIG Time. I would like him in my FWD line but his price is prohibitive and if he drops in price is he worth picking up? Prob. not! I Much prefer a MID/FWD for that role.
    Howeva; having said all that he is a great foil as an acting RUC ie rsting the other blokes like Hale etc who is also a RUC/ FWD for the Hawks so to much abiguity for me in his role…So, NO from me until proven otherwise
    Glad your still active me lad thought the skin full at NY Eve would had killed ya!

2. @MRB37 says:

I have Roughie pencilled in as a FWD at the moment. Makes a nice alternative for Franklin, a bit cheaper and the dual position status can make him a bit more handy.

Like you Jock, i'm a bit hesitant to spend premium $ on NicNat at this stage, but he'll be monitored closely. For my Rucks, Luey is looking like a lock, and my 2nd spot will be filled based on available $. If I have spare cash, i'll look to spend it on someone like Big Ben McEvoy, Goldstein or Sam Jacobs. If I need to go a bit cheaper to get other players I want in place, i'll might look at someone like Josh Jenkins or Mark Jamar. Bench spots are just a big ? for me at the moment since I really have no idea who'll be a chance to play from the cheapies. Maybe Grundy and Daw?

• jockreynolds says:

Yeah Daw looks a sneak chance mate.. the boy Daniel Currie as a mature ager over at North could be a fixture on quite a few benches as well mate.. early days for these big fellas though

• @MRB37 says:

Daniel Currie did some good work with the Roosters in the SANFL this year, didn't look too bad the few times I saw him. Certainly held his own and he could have potential, especially with North losing McIntosh.

• Humper says:

absolutely mate… looks like its Currie v Majac for the second string ruck spot and consideration on our fantasy bench

3. BeerMonkey says:

I’m currently leaning towards a goldy, burger, currie, Rowe (or other r/f) ruck combo at the moment. Using Roughhead as a forward just doesn’t seem to present as much value as some of the other forwards or mid/fwds. I doubt rough will ever be as good as franklin (for pumpin out massive scores), and think he will be used more as a forward this year limiting his big scores. But will await the Nab cup before passing judgement. He’s a talent but I’m not a true fan of his.

4. Macca says:

Hey Jock where can i find the dream team prices for the 2103 season?

5. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new
    scheme in our community. Your website offered us
    with valuable information to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our entire community
    will be thankful to you.

6. I think that is one of the most significant info for me.
    And i’m satisfied studying your article. But should remark on some basic
    issues, The site style is ideal, the articles is actually
    nice : D. Excellent task, cheers

7. Your way of telling all in this post is truly good, all be
    capable of simply understand it, Thanks a lot.

8. Thanks for revealing your ideas. One thing is that college students have a solution between federal student loan and a private student loan where it can be easier to choose student loan debt consolidation loan than through the federal student loan.
    http://www.leplacoteux.com/jodan/jordan_195.html http://www.leplacoteux.com/jodan/jordan_195.html