Fantasy Footy Radar 2013 – Hamish Hartlett

On the Supercoach 2013 radar - Hamish HartlettI’ve been in this caper for a very long time kids. I’ve learnt a thing or two about identifying talent when it drifts across my finely tuned radar.

I believe that this kid is the most talented player on the list at Port Adelaide. Talent is one thing. Matching talent with a fierce and uncompromising gut busting competitive desire to improve and will yourself to help your team is the other factor. 2013 will tell us a hell of a lot about this kid.

The facts:

• 2013 Supercoach price: $485K approx
  • 2013 Position: MID/DEF
  • 2012 average: 91
  • 2012: Preseason hamstring injury set back his preseason, he pulled it again midseason. Alarm bells. Also suspended for kicking Cyril Rioli.
  • 2011: Best and Fairest at Port in just 16 games. Supercoach average 92

Jock’s Verdict:

The news that young Hame is now available as a Defender as well as in the guts is the factor that has had him drift onto my radar this season. As a pure midfielder I wouldn’t have given him a second thought.

• I’m worried that this kid will let me down at some stage. He has proven to us he can score.. no arguments there. But at 22 and already pock marked in scar tissue I’m not feeling too bloody confident about his prospects.
  • The price isn’t exactly tickling me pink. A player carrying this level of risk and previous form I would be far more interested in if offered at the 325-350K price range.
  • At this stage I’m planning on stuffing my mids with class and going thin on defense and/or fwds. Can’t see a spot for the Hame dog on my likely guns and rookies back line.
  • He plays for Port Adelaide Football Club. Ya know?

I’ll give the young gun the thumbs down at this stage. Injury prone, awkwardly priced and BURN man written all over him.

Will you hammer Hamish into your backline in Supercoach or Dreamteam 2013 folks?

Like this one? Have a look through the other blokes on Jock’s Supercoach and Dreamteam radar in 2013

Also – this week’s podcast, you’re mad as a cut snake on a hot day if you aren’t onto our weekly show yet

1. @MRB37 says:

Agree 100%, Jock. It'd be a "no" for me too because of his injury history, and because I just can't bare to put any big ticket Port players in my side as they generally suck for SuperCoach scoring purposes (15th in SC team scoring just ahead of Melbourne, GWS and GC), with only 1 player in Brad Ebert averaging over 100 and only 3 other players averaging in the 90's (Kane Corners, Travis Boak and Hartlett). Also I hate them because Robbie Gray burned me bad. Twice!

However if he does belt out 20+ games he could be a fantastic pickup for anyone who has the testicular fortitude to put him in their side.

• jockreynolds says:

Mate make no bones about it testicular fortitude is a SIGNIFICANT factor when it comes to fantasy footy reliability. No doubt that there is a risk that comes with Hame but also no doubt that there is upside there

2. Mikey mike says:

With 30 trades next season and a distinct lack of quality defenders he might be a good point of difference from everybody else same 3-4 premium defenders

3. Demonics says:

I rate this guy highly. I had him in my team in 2011 as a POD & he didn't disappoint. But yes he is injury prone. Need him to do a Jack Grimes as an injury prone player finally putting a full season together as well being a midfielder we have in our backline. He is definately in my team at this early stage.

4. Dools says:

Jock , your thoughts on HH are bang on the money… And that what this Game is all about! To field the best possible team with-in the constraints of the salery cap.
    Just because he has DPP as a Mid / Def his AVG is not worth the price to put him in the Defence…
    The points generated by a Prem Mid far outweight the benefit of picking him as a Mid…
    Definate No for me; unless his price comes down 100k and he starts hitting form but Pt ADL are a long long way from being a SC dream team

5. Mick says:

Too pricey , too injury prone, & too risky.
    It's a big Noooooo… from me too!

6. Hey! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say
    I genuinely enjoy reading through your articles. Can you suggest any other
    blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?
    Appreciate it!

7. vacations says:

I love what you guys are up too. Such clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the very good works guys I’ve included you guys to my blogroll.

8. This paragraph is really a nice one it helps new the web people,

who are wishing in favor of blogging.