Finals Week 1 Cattle Market – Jock’s Priority Players List

Filed in Supercoach and Dreamteam Bargains by on August 7, 2012 • views: 851

This weeks Cattle Market

Dane Swan will be a massive Finals sized headache for millions of Fantasy Footballers this week.  Some of us also have upgrades to consider before this vital first week of Supercoach and Dreamteam finals.

This week’s Cattle Market lists players from each line in priority order. You may well already have many from the lists… but the first from each line that you don’t have will be the player that I’d suggest you trade in this week. Simple as that folks. I’ve also chucked in a Terry Tight Arse option on each line for those with budget concerns

Best of luck

• late mail 1: Heath Shaw reported to have left the training track early today (Wednesday)
  • late mail 2: Big Hamish McIntosh.. word is he OUT for the season

**note – this week’s finals week 1 podcast is here folks.. get stuck right in!**

BACKLINE PRIORITY LIST

Brett Deledio (mid) | RICH | $552,300 | Avg 118
Plays: WBD, FRE, ESS, PTA

Simply the premier Fantasy defender of the season folks. 144 against the Lions last weekend which followed up a 126 v Carlton the week before. Blow me down with a feather if you haven’t got him yet.

Heath Shaw* | COLL | $517,600 | Avg 105
Plays: SYD, NTH, WCE, ESS
*late mail… reportedly left training early Wednesday – in doubt?

Still many sides are without Mr Shaw including the great JR Brumby FC. Has scored tons in 8 of his 14 games this season but has cranked out some big numbers when he has. Traditionally averages reasonably well against Sydney, North and West Coast so should be high on your defence shopping list.

Brendon Goddard (mid) | STK | $445,800 | Avg 102
Plays: MEL, GEEL, GWS, CARL

Cruising into August with two 120+ scores against Collingwood and the Doggies in recent weeks.

Beau Waters | WCE | $506,000 | Avg 102
Plays: GEEL, PTA, COLL, HAW

Has been solid all year barring his injury absence. Absolutely loves it against the cats – he averages 119 against the lads from Gene Simmonds Stadium. Port Adelaide the week after. Juicy.

Grant Birchall (mid) | HAW | $459,400 | Avg 94
Plays: PTA, GCS, SYD, WCE

I have Grant wedged up here not only because his form has been reasonable but also because of his bloody ripping first 2 weeks of finals. Should cut sick against poor old Port this weekend.

Heath Scotland (mid) | CAR | $507,000 | Avg 101
Plays: BRL, ESS, GCS, STK

Has not scored below 89 since rd 10 – cranking out some very solid numbers. Shows no worrying signs of his 30 something years and will be relishing games against Brisbane, Essendon (who he averages 122 against) and Gold Coast Suns in his finals campaign.

BACKLINE TERRY TIGHT ARSE SELECTION:

Sam Fisher | stk | $387,900 | Avg 83
Plays: MEL, GEEL, GWS, CARL

My old mate Chips. Easing magnificently into form with 92, 97 and 104 in his last 3. Looks to now have regained his touch after injury and with a 1st and 3rd finals week like his…. Bloody good value.

MIDFIELD PRIORITY LIST

Gary Ablett | GCS | $674,700 | avg 138
Plays: GWS, HAW, CAR, ADE

What more is there to say? Actually I have one thing to say. Everyone who has been on this blokes back this season can GET STUFFED. Don’t often fire up but we need to celebrate this fine sporting monument to the game while his is still in his prime.

Watson the Jobe | ESS | $574,000 | avg 123
Plays: NTH, CARL, RICH, COLL

Jobe my young mate. You may have the exact same voice  as your father… but you are all your own man re: the way you play the game. Like with young Gaz you have carved one big bastard of a niche in this game all by yourself mate. Well done. Should be the next highest priority trade in next to GAJ for mine. Arrived as an absolute MUST this season. The timbre of his voice makes my muzz twitch.

Scott De Pendlebury | COLL | $606,400 | avg 126
Plays: SYD, NTH, WCE, ESS

Could be quite a few going the straight swap Swan > Pendles this week. A word of caution here – Pendles averages just the 96 Supercoach points against Sydney so I would proceed with that in mind. Don’t mean to sully this champion’s name as soon as he makes a Cattle Market… a genuine champion of AFL and/or Fantasy Football and/or the trouser.

Scott Thompson | ADEL | $511,700 | avg 114
Plays: FRE, BL, MEL, GCS

Finals draw has Scotty Thompson high on my finals priority list. Is reasonable against Fremantle but then will smash that big Bull of a body of his into Brisbane, Melbourne and Gold Coast. Has been resplendable this season.

Joel Selwood | GEEL | $550,300 | avg 121
Plays: WCE, STK, WBD, SYD

Must remember to call young Joel this week to apologise.. has not featured heavily in this the inaugural year of the JR Community Website. Joel, I’ll tell him… I just can’t believe you haven’t snapped in half yet… you go in so hard son! Just keeps on keeping on. Believe he will be old in football terms before his time but must be thought about if you have all of the above. Performs well against West Coast (brotherly rivalry).

Sam Mitchell | HAW | $550,900 | avg 112
Plays: PTA, GCS, SYD, WCE

Has had 2 sub 100 weeks which is the reason he is so far down my priority list. Feeling is he will likely take Port Adelaide and Gold Coast over the next fortnight and just possession the absolute bejeezus out of em. Formlines are formlines though folks… you must consider the possibility that a low level niggle may be affecting him… risk but some real upside.

MIDFIELD TERRY TIGHT ARSE SELECTION:

David Mundy | FRE | $415,900 | Avg 83
Plays: ADE, RICH, NTH, MELB

As I said to Clarry last night at the Seaford – don’t turn your nose up at King King bloody Mundy. Remember last season when he was for a period the stand out Supercoach midfielder of the competition? Well slabs of that form have been on display for the last fortnight in his 128 v West Coast and 104 v Port. Could be the premium midfielder you need when you can’t afford a premium midfielder this week.

RUCK PRIORITY LIST

Ivan Maric | RICH | $575,100 | avg 116
Finals: WBD, FRE, ESS, PTA

Crouching One – I hope you don’t mind me telling the Community that I walked in on you during some kind of weird bloody incense candle dark room worship thingo were you had pictures of Ivan all over the joint. Don’t blame ya son. Something special. Not as gifted athletically as some of the other rucks but has something of substance pumping away under those ribs of his.

Ben McEvoy | STK | $521,500 | avg 104
Finals: MEL, GEEL, GWS, CARL

Has averaged 115 in his past four. Faces Melbourne this week, a Geelong with injury dramas in the ruck division the week after then GWS and Carlton. Enough fodder there to get Benny boy up into the top 2 ruck considerations for the round for mine. In good touch. A gentle giant.

RUCK TERRY TIGHT ARSE SELECTION:

Jonathan Giles | GWS | $397,500 | avg 91
Finals: GCS, MELB, STK, NTH

Don’t despair too much if you’re one of the poor buggers who traded him out earlier in the season. Even I – widely acknowledged in the outer south eastern suburbs as the premier Fantasy Footy mind of our generation – did consider this move before round 16. Fact are these.. for this price, at this average, with Gold Coast and Melbourne over the next 2 weeks, coming of a 112 then a 177 – this bloke is a bargain. Again.

FORWARD LINE PRIORITY LIST

Matthew Pavlich (mid) | FREO | $636,600 | avg 112
Plays: ADE, RICH, NTH, MELB

Relief for many that he got off his match review business this week. Gets the nod ahead of some of the blokes to follow based on a favourable finals draw and a long history of proven long term reliable form. 175, 113, 160, 108 and 170 over the last 5! Melbourne in the GF.

Cryil Rioli (mid) | $571,800 | avg 104
Plays: PTA, GCS, SYD, WCE

Cyril you little bloody ripper. Is there anything quite as exciting as watching this bloke rack up Supercoach points for your team? Have a look at that finals run… bewdiful…. 159, 105, 127, 134 and 124 last 5. Just slipped beneath Pav just for that niggling soft tissue risk with Cyril…. Just hang in there at least 4 more weeks (and of course the finals season for the Hawkers sake as well mate)

Dayne Beams (mid) | COLL | $616,900 | avg 116
Plays: SYD, NTH, WCE, ESS

Must admit I’m surprised he has kicked into gear as much as he has this season. No doubt he’s here to stay as a lock for many years now. 137, 162, 109 and 144 in his last 4 clashes. Second priority behind the Pav for mine.

Patrick Dangerfield (mid) | $564,700 | avg 112
Plays: FRE, BL, MEL, GCS

Love ya Danger. Come to St. Kilda mate. I’ll make you feel right at home. Super finals run. Super player. In super form. 110, 138, 133 and 127 last 4 and will be out top play at AAMI Stadium this weekend against the Frockers.

Clancee Pearce (mid) | $513,300 | avg 91
Plays: ADE, RICH, NTH, MELB

May be controversial but I’m happy with my decision to insert Clancee as priority #5 in the forwards. Crucially he has received the big tick in terms of the Ross Lyon game plan, and his scores of 117, 125, 139 and 114 over the last 4 weeks have coincided with the Fremantle team getting ‘onboard’ with Ross’ dastardly plans. Like Danger has a nice finals run. Tick.

Ryan O’Keefe (mid) | $563,600 | avg 100
Plays: COLL, WBD, HAW, GEEL

Agonised over the final one but Rhino gets the gig. Has been solid as a rock all season. Must get a Sydney bloke on this page as they’ve been real good all season.. has averaged 124 over the last 4. Gotta tell you though – about 5% of me is worries he’ll cop a rest between now and the big Fantasy Footy dance.

FORWARD TERRY TIGHT ARSE SELECTION:

Brad Green | MEL | $338,000 | avg 58
Plays: STK, GWS, ADEL, FREO

Playing like a man with something to prove towards the end of his career * 89, 93, 60 and then a 123 against the Gold Coast last week. Feel he may come home with some solid tons… would have been a nice pick up back when he was $230K odd a month back (listen to your old mate Jock eh?) Still value here

* note.. didn’t that Brad Green comment prove to be on the money? eh? eh?

1. oliver says:

I'm considering bringing in Goddard for Sam Darley for my last trade. Is it worth it? This would leave me with two spots up for grabs in my back line. Which two should i play out of Sam Shaw, R Shaw, Lake and Yarran?

• Jock says:

Gday there Oliver – I reckon Goddard would be well and truly worth it mate.. just a matter of if you'd prefer to hold onto that 1 trade. Likelihood is also that between now and lockout the naming of teams may give you some different priorities

• oliver says:

I'll see what happens with the teams, if i bring in Goddard that would give me the following players in the back line.

Deledio, Goddard, Heppell, Enright, Carrazzo, Yarran, S Shaw, R Shaw and Lake.

Which two should be sitting on the bench out of that lot?

2. Gerhard says:

Finished top in my only league. This is my team heading into the finals with 4 trades available.

BACK

Deledio, Goddard, H. Shaw, Carrazzo, Adcock, Lake, Heppell

S. Shaw, Bell

MID

Ablett, J. Selwood, Kennedy, Mitchell, Priddis, Barlow

Gibson, Shiel

RUCK

Giles, McIntosh

Jenkins, Campbell

FOR

Franklin, Dangerfield, Sidebottom, Riewoldt, Zorko, Treloar, Cloke

S. Motlop, Magin

I was considering a couple of options… mainly relating to the forward line.

01 – Trade Cloke for Beams. I've had it up to my ears with Cloke this season.

or

02 – Upgrade Motlop to Beams, Rioli or Pavlova.

Thoughts?

• Tigerman says:

Reports today are that HMac is gone for the year for LARS surgery.

Straight swap to Goldy might be the go there

Forward line trades – at least cloke can pull big numbers. I'd give motlop the flick for pav

• Jock says:

Bloody terrible news re: the Big H Mac eh… would you have the cash for McIntosh to big Ivan?

On your 1st question mate I'd go option 2

• laffer says:

Hey gerhard i would trade out mcintosh first… Out for the season

• Gerhard says:

I'd been tracking HMac's progress and all indication was an expectant return around the Supercoach finals time. Crap.

I have a couple of trades left and I will now have to address my ruck issue.

Dankeschön!

• Gerhard says:

I'm considering S. Shaw to start and Lake as an Emergency… wise or not??

3. big fella says:

surely carazzo gets a look in as a premium lock jock m8

• Jock says:

Gday there big fella – was bloody hard to squeeze him inot my top 6 mate.. Birchall I felt I had to squeeze in – I reckon he'll go nuts over the next fortnight

• frosty says:

Carrazzo is the near the best defender this season, his average is held back by the 3 he scored when injured early against essendon. Remove that score and his average is second only to Deledio at 108.7.

4. Bmac says:

Looking down grade Tory Dickson for either casboult or ???

5. Davo says:

Dane Swan out, I am 1st on the ladder, should I trade or not?

• Tigerman says:

not yet.

If you win the qualifying final this you get next week off. Swanny will then be back for for the semi.

If you lose this week I'd seriously consider it depending on your opposition

• Jock says:

Depends on how many trade you have in the kick I reckon mate.. My call is if you have 3 or more I'd pull trigger (hard to judge of course without looking at your opponent and stuff)

• Davo says:

I've got 2 mate

• Mark says:

Hi Dave,

I'm in same boat top of ladder three trades, I am going to trade him maybe for Selwood.

My opponent has him also, overheard him saying his trading him so feel I have too.

6. Zimmer says:

Hey guys,

2 trades left.

Thinking of ditching Cloke: can replace him with a mid or a fwd worth up to $497,600.

Who do you reckon:

N. Reiwoldt

Bennell

Chapman

B. Harvey

Stevie J.

Rockliff

Nicky Dal

Mundy

Goodes

Lenny

Birchall

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

• Zimmer says:

Add Barlow and Fyfe to that list.

• Tigerman says:

Like bennell as a smoky. Had the chance to upgrade to him early in the year and didn't. Absolutely kicking myself. After that I'd go with SJ

saints have an easy run in finals. Melbourne and gold coast weeks 1+3

sydney a lot harder with 3 top 6 sides

rocky is too up and down

mundy and freo pushing for a finals spot – recommended by one jock reynolds

• gore says:

With the Saints draw either Lenny or Dal should be good options if you need a MID

7. teenwolf says:

Who rates FYFE as a good cash in for Swan.

I currently have 3 trades and $420,000. If I do the above trade this week this will allow me to use my final two trades for premium upgrades.

Want to upgrade Newman to ??? H. Shaw or Waters??

and Cloke to ??? Beams of The Pav??

Any help would suit. I will have the week off if I win so I am thinking of hitting two trades this week. To complicate the matter further, I have Buddy on the pine! Make or break time for me ….

8. Laffer says:

Hey Jock, thoughts on Shannon Hurn for $411K-odd???

9. Jason says:

Jock, finished on top of my league with 4 Trades at 97.2k in the bank.

Injuries to Broughton and the dumping of Swan have hurt but now wondering how I should proceed..

BACK

Deledio, Goddard, H. Shaw, Carrazzo, Scotland, Birchall, S. Shaw

Baguley, Broughton

MID

Ablett, J. Selwood, Swan, Pendlebury, Priddis, S. Thompson

Gibson, Couch

RUCK

Naitanui, McEvoy

Stephenson, Campbell

FOR

Franklin, Dangerfield, Sidebottom, Beams, Zorko, Chapman, Goodes

Kennedy, A. Hall

1 – Trade Swan & Broughton for Watson & Waters. Hoping I don't have any heartbreaks in the last 2 rounds

or

2 – Hold off and stick firm wih 4 trades for another week?

Thoughts?

• Adam Heywood says:

Hey Jason,

I would seriously consider holding off on the trades. Gibson has been scoring well as of the last 3 weeks and would be good cover for swan. broughton is out for the season so i would trade him out at the best opportunity.

10. DOGGA says:

Hi Jockstar,

Need some advice mate made the top 4 in my league got 2 trades left and playing this week for a prelim spot. Got 2 trades left was thinking of upgrading Zorko for Scotty Thompson or Joel Selwood not sure who is going to score me more points? Also got Swan but thinking of hanging on to him due to low trades any advice appreciated.

Cheers Dogga

• Pat says:

Dogga old son, gotta hold onto the zorkonator! is averaging 100 and been a gun. waste of a trade IMO. if you want to trade which gives value, then pull the pin on swan who will give you 0 this week and bring in another premium who will give you 110+. i am also assuming you have zorko in your fwd line and thinking of swinging him to the middle for that trade you mentioned. if he is on your midfield bench, then play him and bench swan. no need to trade.

11. CJ says:

Lake -> Hurn, Fisher, or Adcock?

12. barry says:

Cheers for a great season, Jock and co.

Elimination final this week in all three of my leagues so I pulled the trigger on Buddy as he is being described as a "chance" to play this weekend. Late withdrawl would murder my season. Didn't do it last week as a strategy. Bloke who finished 9th needed me to win to sneak into the finals and I would've played him first week. He's been absolutely flying in the last few weeks so I kind of tanked. Is that un-Australian of me?

Anyway, Swan for Watson, Bud for Super Pav. Only 1 trade left but you gotta do what ya gotta do!

13. Big Easy says:

gen-ul-mun,

what about the tom-a-hawk?

surely worth a look?

• Jock says:

Yeah bloody oath Easy.. in his current form absolutely worth a good hard look. Just couldn't squeeze him in my top 6 forward options

14. Big fella says:

G'day jock and community,

Got a 2nd chance but a tough first week. I have ward so I reckon he needs to go.

3 trades in the bank. Do I burn 2 trades to get the likes of Watson or Joel selwood? Or use my 525800 to maybe pick up Scotty Thompson… Any other gems under 525k you gents would like to suggest?

15. Sam Mills says:

should i bring in cyril or dangerfield for porplyzia

• Zimmer says:

Danger. More consistent. Cyril still hasn't sold me as a SC player. Love watching him play though.

16. whiteless says:

2 trades left, do i upgrade michael johnson to beau waters?? is it worths while

17. Matt says:

Rioli?

Okeefe?

Petrie?

Hawkins?

Roughead?

18. John C says:

The teams are out and DISASTER is all I can say!

Round one of the finals and I was relying on Buddy to come back but with 4 key players out of my team the best I can do is use my last trade and only have one Doughnut.

I will have a 2nd chance though as finished top 4 so think I should tank this week and save my last trade for next week in the hope I have a better team back and can win in the second week of the finals.

The team I am playing looks to have no coverage issues and will most likely win regardless of whether I have 1 or 2 doghnuts so I see no other option but to tank.

Thoughts Community??

JC

19. jimmy says:

I've got a problem… Stanton and Buddy… Do I hold or trade??? I only have 3 trades left but was planning on using them to upgrade. Dont want to waste any trades but also wanna beat Crawf this weekend!

20. Mr X says:

Franklin –> Pav, Beams, Rioli, Stevie J or Sidebottom?

any other suggestions?

21. big fella says:

scott thompson or marc murphy??