Jock’s Rd 19 AFL Fantasy and DT Cattle Market

Filed in Supercoach and Dreamteam Bargains by on July 31, 2012 • views: 2663

This weeks Cattle MarketMany have heralded this week’s podcast as a life changing Fantasy Football experience. It came at a time where the Fantasy Football Community was pleading for leadership. Direction. Inspiration. Motivation. Genius. Do yourself a favor and download the thing by clicking here or jumping onto the I Tunes.

As discussed in the podcast – we are all at a crossroads my friends. Let’s not kid ourselves. Finals may well be won with the selections that you make this week. But let me tell you this. League Premierships will be won with the selections that you choose not to make in lieu of an extra trade in 5 weeks time.

Proceed with discipline. Stick to your game plan. This is when the big boys come out to play.

I’m Jock Reynolds, and here is my take on the bargains available in this last round of the regular season

BACKLINE BARGAINS

Beau Waters | WCE |$493,200 | be 69
This week: FREO
Finals: GEEL, PTA, COLL, HAW

Bloody good to have him back and firing. Many would be regretting the decision to drop him earlier in the season. 87 first back v Adelaide but a big beautiful 146 against the Lions last weekend. Avg 102 this season. Must be considered by those looking to firm up their backlines for finals

Brendon Goddard (MID)| STK | $431,100 | BE 80
This week: COLL
Finals: MEL, GEEL, GWS, CARL

Refuse to believe talk that some members of our community are Goddardless after trading him out. Suck it up and trade him straight back in kids. Have a gander at the price on him! A resplendent 127 against the Doggies over the weekend which announced his arrival back. Will tear the Magpies to shreds this weekend. Can you afford to go into a finals campaign without him as he lines up against the Demons in week 1? Eh?

Heath Scotland (MID) | CARL | $499,300 | be 62 (mid)
This week: SYD
Finals: BRL, ESS, GCS, STK

A solid 117 against the poor old Tigers last weekend which backed up a lovely 127 the week before. Brisbane Lions,  weakening Essendon then Gold Coast in the first 3 weeks of finals coupled with his proven Fantasy quality over many seasons makes him hard to resist

Mark Baguley (MID) | ESS | $164,200 | be -39
This week: ADE
Finals: NTH, CAR, RIC, COL

Solid contributor in his first 3. I don’t want to completely rule him out as a trade down option just yet at this price – his dual position eligibility may just be the straw that breaks him into your team.

Tom Bell | CAR | $104,700 | be -104
This week:  SYD
Finals: BRL, ESS, GCS, STK

Has impressed the trousers out of me in his first 2 games. Of his 29 disposals total over his first 2 games 18 have been contested and he has rebounded the pill out of his defensive area 7 times. Like his prospects at a job for the rest of the season. A real find.

Sam Frost | GWS | $130,700 | be -51
Next 3: PTA
Finals opponents: GCS, MEL, STK, NTH

Reasonable in his first 2 hitouts scoring 72 and 59. Would absolutely go Tom Bell before him but an option if you need anothery.

MIDS

Gary Ablett | GCS | $638,700 | be 70
This week: MEL
Finals: GWS, HAW, CAR, ADE

Are there any of you out there on the wide world internet who don’t have the little champ? What a bloody little legend the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy’s own Gary Ablett is. May break records over the next fortnight coming into Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney

Marc Murphy | CAR | $493,300 | be 34
This week: SYD
Finals: BRL, ESS, GCS, STK

Surprised this old bastard with his 160 over the weekend. Did not appear to have been paid due respect by the Tigers and I’d be surprised if he was allowed the same latitude against the studious Swans this weekend. Has cranked out 112, 108 and 160 since returning from injury… will be fresh in your finals series… lovely finals run.. a definite priority this week if you need a midfielder

Andrew Swallow | NTH | $558,900 | be 92
This week: WBD
Finals: ESS, COLL, FRE, GWS

Has had a very nice run over the last 5 matched averaging 127. His next 2 are softish with the Doggies then a weakening Bomber outfit. If you’re confident of making the Grand Final he’s line up on GWS and is a slim chance of being rested with the race for the top 8 expected to go down to percentage this year.

Nick Dal Santo | STK |$456,400 | be 69
This week: COLL
Finals: MEL, GEEL, GWS, CARL

Expect him to dominate this weekend as the Saints dismantle Collingwood. Fair dinkum… look at the price on my old mate Nicky Dal. Has been frustrating the bejesus out of me all year… but at this price and with that finals run he must be considered by the thrifty.

Brent Moloney | MEL | $303,000 | be 59
Next 2: GCS
Finals: STK, GWS, ADE, FRE

103 in his first game back from the outer. Gold Coast next week and also GWS in 2nd week of finals. Will be keen on proving his value to his mates. A reasonable roughie for the dice rollers this week.

RUCKS

Ivan Maric | RICH | $548,100 | be 77
This week: BRL
Finals: WBD, FRE, ESS, PTA

I’ve asked myself a question re: rucks this week. If I was in the market for a premium ruckman, with money being no dramas, who would I select? Big Ivan gets the nod. Since round 3 has failed to reach the 100 mark only once. He has the wood on Nic Nat for consistency, for run home, and is also less likely to be rested/rotated coming home. I really bloody love big Ivan. Welcome at the JR Community Banquet hall anytime. Was fantastic in his 159 last week, and will destroy Brisbane, The Doggies, Freo, Essendon and Port in his lumber home.

FORWARDS

Brendan Whitecross | HAW | $458,800 | be 63
This week: GEE
Finals: PTA, GCS, SYD, WCE

Many enquires re: young Brendan this week by Community folk. Must say I am not sold on him as a reliable selection, but gotta say he looked very good in his 139 against Essendon last week. As with all the Hawks the Port Adelade Gold Coast double in the first 2 finals weeks is juicy. Nice point of difference but not for me.

Cyril Rioli | $557,400 | HAW | be 80
This week: GEE
Finals: PTA, GCS, SYD, WCE

Reckon this bloke is the PERFECT fantasy footy prospect when he is on song. Bloody brilliant when you have a player in your lineup that can get you up out of your seat. No denying his form is RED HOT now… 134, 127, 105 and 159 are his last 4 scored. I’m wary that he is approaching a high point price wise – and he remains a soft tissue injury risk for mine. Be cautious here… but if the chips fall your way he could win you a flag. I’ll be selecting him this week.

Ryan O’Keefe | $563,600 | be 85 (mid)
Next week: CAR
Finals: COLL, WBD, HAW, GEEL

In sparkling form – you’d be very pleased if you snagged him when he hit 440K earlier in the season. Had just built and built and built all season. Word of caution again here – he faces a string of teams that he traditionally scores poorly against for the rest of the season – but in the form a strong run home would not surprise me.

1. Gerhard says:

Great work all season Jock, Peter, and Crouching. I appreciate the advice, thank you.

Sorry to ask another finals related question (I am a newbie remember) but could someone please explain to me the finals structure… who plays who in each week.

I've had a great run up until now, I hope it can continue.

• Adam Kneale says:

Round 1:

Game 1: 1 vs 4

Game 2: 2 vs 3

Game 3: 5 vs 8

Game 4: 6 vs 7

Round 2:

Game 5: Loser OF Game 1 vs winner of Game 3.

Game 6: Loser of Game 2 vs Winner of Game 4.

Round 3:

Game 7: Winner of Game 1 VS Winner of Game 6

Game 8: Winner Of Game 2 Vs Winner Of Game 5

Round 4: Winner Of Game 7 Vs Winner Of Game 8

• Dylan says:

Gday big cheese.

Fantasy finals follow the same format as real footy finals. So, in the first week 1st plays 4th (game 1) 2nd plays 3rd (game 4), top 4 get second chance, winners skip the second week of finals. 5th plays 8th (game 2) 6th plays 7th (game 3) losers knocked out.

Second week, the loser of game 1 plays the winner of game 2 (game 5), and the loser of game 4 plays the winner of game 3 (game 6)

Third week, the winner of game 5 plays the winner of game 4 (game 7) and the winner of game 6 plays the winner of game 1 (game 8)

Fourth week is the big one, the winners of games 7 and 8 play off for ultimate glory!

And the week after that you won't know what to do with yourself…

I have a feeling the bottom two will miss out on finals, as in previous seasons the bottom eight have followed the same format.

• Gerhard says:

Thanks lads. Clear as crystal.

JR says it often and he is certainly correct, this is a community and honestly you gotta love that.

• Jock says:

Adam and Dylan – you are both bloody rippers for reaching out to Gerhard in his time of need. That's what the Community is all about eh? Tops.

• Dylan says:

No worries lads, It's what we do around here, eh? Cheers for all your help too jocka, owe you at least a few beers!. By the way, hopefully have talked the mrs into going to the local with me tomorrow, should be a cracker! I shall be donning the hoops for the occasion, my best formal attire

2. Jake says:

what about nathan fyfe??

• Jock says:

Yeah – one of my old rules is to look at a player for at least a fortnight after a long lay off before making a judgement call. If he gets through the game solidly this weekend he may make a very nice finals proposition

3. Josh says:

i have franklin sitting on the bench, and reports say he won't be right until round 20 at the earliest.

Do i trade him and bring in beams who is averaging the highest amounts of points as a forward that i havent already got?

Do i keep franklin or trade him?

• Dylan says:

If you have stuck with him this long you might as well hang on to him. Although, it depends on what the rest of your forward line looks like, and who your subs are

• Dylan says:

Hawks saying they won't know until later today if they will name him. Could be taking Higgi's advice and playing poker… I reckon he will be back next week. But don't quote me on that

• Josh says:

I've got franklin, pavlich, dangerfield, cloke, zorko, johnson (freo), adams (gws)

subs are pfeiffer and couch

might just hold on to him, and upgrade cloke after downgrading broughton to bring in some cash, he's sitting on the bench and wouldnt be on the ground if he was playing

• Jock says:

Good question Josh mate – I'm in the same boat. I'll be holding onto mate – have held him this long and if he's back round 20 thats good enough for me. Reckon he'll go ballistic

4. Tim says:

got beams in for dylan shiel this week as my last trade for the year and got $6,000 left in the bank.good trade or not? couldn't afford anyone over $607,000 any one else you would consider instead of him??/ thanks! ive got pendles, ablett, priddis, stanton, jselwood already in my midfield!

• Dylan says:

Beams is ripping it up, and if you've used all your trades, you want the least amount of cash in the bank, as you want it on the field! Only issue is Stanton, his output is slowing down, and possibly has done his hammy…

• Tim says:

yeh i am so disappointed with stanton but if he gets me 80s ill be happier enough because i have wingard on the bench and his best score is 72 so stanton is like a crappy mid price player for me now, also all the rest of my midfield will make the points up for stanton:)thanks alot for your help

• Jock says:

Stanton has been a complete bloody let down in the mid-backend of the season hansn't he? Feel a bloody old fool for announcing that he had arrived as a premium lock in the midfield early in the season. Hats off to Higgo who never bought into it.

For Brents sake I hope he kicks into gear for the remainder of the season – a nice bloke

5. laffer says:

Need ablett pronto!!! Have 4 trades left i can upgrade mitchell or do 1 more downgrade and trade up hayes or boyd… Thoughts?

• Dylan says:

Never trade sideways, unless covering for injury! Yes, you are technically trading up, but only for the sake of 30 or so points per week (maybe 100 if you make gaz captain) you're better off downgrading a couple of cash cows to raise the cash

• George says:

What you are saying does make sense, but when it comes to GAJ I will have to disagree. With GAJ you are not only getting the extra 30 points. You are also getting a reliable captain option every week! That extra 100 points can make a massive difference in winning or losing a final. I have decided to upgrade Boyd to GAJ this week.

Now I only have to decide if I should use my 2nd last trade to get Tom Bell in for Jackson Paine as bench cover…

• cookie says:

if youre gonna trade one of them up for ablett,i WOULD NOT trade boyd. trade hayes cause boyd has massive scoring potential.

• chiknsmack says:

Agree.

• laffer says:

Thanks guys, i will probably do 1 more downgrade then and trade out hayes for ablett although saints have great run home and hayes is in form… Tough call

• Dylan says:

He is an extremely reliable captain, even when he has an off day he will score 110+ and when you make someone else captain you kick yourself… Not naming names… (I put the c on dayne beams last week. Still got up, but only by 9)

• George says:

hmm, I reckon I will now upgrade Dal Santo instead of Boyd to GAJ! :)

Cheers all and good luck in the finals!

• gore says:

would normally agree…..

However Hayes has a 5round average of 120 with some huge scores. He has an incredible record against Melbourne and Geelong historically (approx 130 against both since 2009)

On top of this he has GWS and CAR to come. Collingwood the only concern.

I think this is closer than people think.

• Keffa says:

What's this rubbish about an extra 100 points that Gazza brings (Vs. Mitchell), even as captain? (assuming you were drunk enough to make Mitchell captain). Does Gazza average 50 points per game better than Mitchell? No. He does not. Therefore, he is not worth an extra 100 points per round.

• Jock says:

Bloody good question Laffer… a real tricky one.

Look – it comes down to this – I would be far more comfortable going into the finals with the C slapped on Gazza. However – is this worth burning a crucial trade? Very tough bloody questions. I really like the fact that Gaz will line up against GWS in finals week 1 – that might be the factor that gets him accross the line. Gold Coast will be out to prove themselves as the superior new mob -and GAZ will be pumped. Mitchell however plays Port – also a good fantasy footy friendly opponent.

My call is HOLD… but still open to be pursuaded otherwise folks?

• But it's a massive POD if your finals opponent has GAJ and score 314 and you score 200. It is effectively another player. Are there any others with that scoring potential consistently???? Swan yes, Buddy on his day Yes, Kennedy yes.

For me GAJ is a good option to bring in and make other areas key POD from your opposition, like a Fyfe or Shane Tuck.

6. Gerhard says:

Out of necessity folk, I now have to trade out Greggie Broughton.

So, I have another question.

Who would you consider the best upgrade out of H. Shaw, H. Scotland or B. Waters heading into the finals?

7. Zimmer says:

Hey guys.

Have 4 trades left and around $100 K.

Need to replace Broughton, and have two options:

1 = 1 trade, able to afford: Hurn, M.Johnson, Hanley, Adcock, etc.

2 = 2 trades, bringing Baguley in, meaning I could afford: Scotland, Birchall, H.Shaw, Waters (who I already had, but traded out when it was reported he would be gone for a month. Not happy).

Anyway, what to do?

Ideally I would like to upgrade Giles too, and have Franklin on the pine.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

• BigDub says:

Option 2 – Bring in Scotland. Most favourable draw with Brisbane in 1st week & Gold Coast in 3rd week of finals. Bring in Tommy Bell over Baguley and pocket extra 60k for upgrading Giles later to premium ruck. Bell's scoring potential similar Baguley and job security good. He will not get dropped for rest of season. Match committee and supporters love him.

8. Riley says:

Malceski – hurn

Or

Malceski – fisher and save roughly 100k

• G unit says:

FIsher if you need the cash, he should have a good last few games but quiet this week against the woods

9. Kade Birchall says:

Surprised Sam Fisher is not in the cattle market Jock. Saints boy who has shown the Sam of old in recent weeks, cheap at 360k and a low break even. I reckon he will end the year on a strong note. Good option for broughton too

10. Ladies and Gents,

Need some advice… I am bringing Ablett in this week as an upgrade.

Which Premium mid to let loose. Personally Im leaning towards Priddis as he has a hard run home (Freo,Geel, Port HAw Coll)

Hayes or Priddis for Ablett…it is breaking my heart I love Lenny and the Hair Hat,

Mitchell, Selwood, Watson, Pendlebury – other mids

PS has Jock displayed his team yet?

11. Chillbills says:

Broughton/Morris 4 Lids/Bell. Need to win this week to make Top 4. Leaving me 1 trade for finals.

Or I go Broughton 4 Fisher. Leaving 2 trades!

12. Anthony says:

i have 120k in the bank with 4 trades left and pretty much assured of top 4.

I am happy with my team except Giles, Dempsey, Ellis on the field and also with Jacobs and Franklin under injury cloud.

Im thinking of trading dempsey for Sam Fisher, Ellis for Hurn and next week downgrading Devon Smith then trading Giles for a ruckman 500k+.

thoughts please?

13. gore says:

need one last DEF upgrade to finish off my defence.

Mohr out, gives me $482,100 to spend. Just shy of enough for Enright. Thoughts on S Hurn?

After this upgrade will be happy with my starting DEF for finals with

Goddard, Scotland, Waters, Carrazo, H Shaw, Deledio and ????

Any other suggestions or is Hurn pretty much it at this price?

14. Julza says:

j.selwood, watson or kennedy?

• G unit says:

Good question Im looking at taking one of them next week…probably murphy is better value at this point though…

15. Kade says:

Carrazzo or waters?

16. Sam Winter says:

Worth burning my last trade to get rid of Broughton. I was going to get Michael Johnson, with 38k in the bank I can just afford him. I have good cover on the bench for him though. I have Smedts and Spurr with Sam Shaw on the field. Johnson's break even is 83 which he should get. Thoughts?

• Vinnie says:

G'day Sam,

I have Great Britain in my team also with Marty Clarke and Sam Shaw as cover so I feel your pain.

In your situation though, Spurr and Smedts arepretty adequate cover unless you are fighting for a spot in the 8, I'd hold onto that trade.

Would be like buying that last packet of Samboy chips and then running out of milk mid week and not getting paid until the following week. Hold, that what I'm doing.