Post Round 8 AFL Supercoach & DT Podcast

Filed in Weekly Podcast by on May 20, 2012 • views: 998

Reflecting on the complexities of Supercoach in 2012More carnage this weekend with Dane Swan and Marc Murphy the big injuries that will affect many teams. Early suggestions are that it will be multiple weeks for both and that we might not see the lads before their upcoming byes.

Plenty of talk around the best midfield premium options to bring into your team this week. As we discuss in the show make sure you catch the great Peter Higginbotham in song as he pleads to Damian Hardwick to keep the vest off Brandon Ellis. Higgo is up and about in this weeks show after a very good week by his revolutionary Supercoach Punting Machine.

The time if now to dig into your reserves of mental toughness and discipline folks. We face some bleak weeks ahead with the onset of the byes. Enjoy the podcast and remember – those trades are like GOLD nuggets. Use them wisely.

Jock Reynolds

1. Mick says:

Current team is:

Deledio – Goddard – Dempsey
    Lake – Mohr – Brought – Heppel (Morris, C Delaney)

Ablett – Pendels – Stanton
    Watson – S Selwood – Horsely (Old Mcdonald, Stringer)

Pavlich – Dangerfield – Tippett
    Chapman – Zaharakis – D Smith – Pfeiffer (Dickson, Kennedy)

13 Trades left, $243k in the bank.

I’m thinking McDonald, Keneddy to Zorko, Sidebum/Heath Shaw/Judd
    Which possy should I upgrade?

• Benny says:

13 trades left. Your team looks good I'd let it simmer away for a week.. It's a long season and you need them trades just incase 2 of your premium mids go down in one week like just say Murphy and Swan…

• Jock says:

I'm with Benny on this – with 13 trades left I'd cool the heels till the byes kick in

• mick says:

Cheers guys, will heed your advice!

2. Andrew says:

Really interested in Jenkins as trade down target from Kruezer who is currently on the pine as R3. The only problem is i also have Cox & Giles and if i take Jenkins i get to eat a Rnd 11 Ruck donut.

3. DDJ says:

Great podcast yet again.

How do you see Josh Jenkins's job security and scoring output?

If I get him I'd need him to be my on field ruckman for giles or hale so I can free up cash.

• Marc says:

Jenkins is getting McKernans spot as the third tall. I'd rate his play above Smack, but he's only played 2 AFL games and Sando may decide to send him back to Sturt for a spell if he starts to struggle. With that being said, he was very impressive for a 2nd gamer against Carlton. I dare say that running goal he kicked from 50m out would guarantee his spot for a few more matches and if he continues to kick a few goals and get a couple of marks he should score in that 70+ range.

If you're getting him as an on-field ruckman, it'd be a big risk, but it could pay off for you in the end. Not a move I would make, I was thinking of trading Redden for him, but I wouldn't trade a starting 22 ruckman for him.

• Andrew says:

Agreed Marc, but at this point of the season is it worth burning a trade to realise the 58k that Redden has increased? I don't think it is

• Marc says:

Jenkins was more as bye round insurance than the $. My rucks are Giles, Longer, Stephenson and Redden and apart from Giles the other 3 aren't guaranteed games. Sando indicated on 5AA yesterday that he wants to persist with the 3 talls approach as he wants to leave Tippet up forward for most of the game, rather than going into the ruck when Jacobs needs a rest. So I'd say Jenkins is a good solid chance to continue to get some games if he can keep form. Only ? Is Sando may decide to give JJ a rest after a few and bring McKernan back in.

4. James says:

Current Mid:

Boyd, Abblett, Pendles, Thompson, Ebert, Horse, Magner & Shiel.

Safe Option:

Magner -> Zorko

Shiel -> Watson

Riskier Option:

Ebert -> Zorko

Magner/Shiel -> Watson

& extra 180K Cash.

13 Trades Left after these 2.

So I am trying to decide is Horse a worthy 6th Player -> or do I just keep Ebert for longer and if I got trades @ the end upgrade him to a Premo….

Thoughts?

5. Jack says:

barely scored over 2000 week, thinking of trading

swan => mid around 550k (cotchin, dangerfield, etc.?) and stanley => o'keefe, both getting hammy injuries, leaving me with 13 trades

thoughts? especially with swan?

• Stefanaki says:

Dangerfield is a must have.

• I agree about Dangerfield being a monty…

He is getting some serious press and therefore some huge tagging potential…we are going to see what the young man is made of in the next month….I think he will shine…..GET HIM NOW JACK!!!

6. Marc says:

You guys in Melbourne complaining about one rubbish Rucci article? Try reading garbage Iike that 3-4 times a week for an entire season like we have to do in Adelaide. Yeesh.

Was thinking about trading Murphy, but I read it was just a AC strain. Thinking I'll keep him on the pine unless it's 4 weeks +. Will most likely trade Magner for Ablett this week.

7. Benny S says:

Put the bins out Dane.

8. cats2012 says:

is big hmac back this week!?

i need to get rid of murphy ever since i picked him up his got me under 90 biggest let down…

9. DL says:

I have both of Murphy and Swan, thinking about trading only one, depending on extent of injuries. In Judd or Griffin. Which would be the best trade?

• laffer says:

I would pick judd, he really needs to stand up with murph out. I also think if griffin is more taggable (if thats a word) if bulldogs become a threat.

• Stefanaki says:

In terms of tagging …

Boyd would be getting tagged ahead of Griffen.

Judd would be tagged ahead of any other blues player.

Carlton have an easier run into the bye rounds.

10. Nateo says:

any news on swan. murphy injurys?

11. jimma says:

Jock, what are your thoughts on opening a forward mid connection by doing a downgrade to the impressive first year player in Dayne Zorko?

• Jock says:

I like the kid mate. And like the idea of opening up a dual possie link before the byes set in. As long as you have a comfortable amount of trades left go for it mate

• Zimmer says:

I'm sitting on 15 trades. Decent scores the last couple of weeks. Thinking of bringing in Zorko, this week and then sitting tight till the bye rounds.

Thoughts, Jock, anyone?

12. Sammy Winter says:

In a bit of trouble here. Last Friday I planned out my future trades but the Murphy and Swan injuries stuffed it up a bit. It started like this:

Round 8 (Defenders)

Out: Morris In: Rookie (Spurr)

Out: Bugg In: Premium (Goddard)

Round 9 (Midfielders)

Out: Magner In: Rookie

Out: Shiel In: Premium (Thompson, Watson)

Round 10 (Forwards)

Out: Smith In: Rookie

Out: Milera In: Premium (N.Riewoldt)

Would have no money left in bank.

Have 10 trades.

Upgrade other cash cows later in the year like Horsley and Adams.

Keeping Giles. He will get better scores as he is gaining experience.

Now after the injuries and all these rookies playing their first game it ends like this:

Defenders

Out: Morris In: Rookie (Spurr)

Out: Bugg In: Premium (Goddard)

Round 8

Out: Milera In: Rookie (Zorko)

Out: Redden In: Rookie (Jenkins)

Round 9

Out: Murphy In: Premium (Ablett, Pendlebury, Thompson, Watson, Hayes, Priddis)

Out: Swan In: Premium (Ablett, Pendlebury, Thompson, Watson, Hayes, Priddis)

Round 10

Forwards

Out: Shiel In: Rookie

Out: Magner In: Premium (Ablett, Pendlebury, Thompson, Watson, Hayes, Priddis)

Round 11

Out: Smith In: Premium (N.Riewoldt, J.Brown, O'Keefe)

Out: Ebert In: Premium (Ablett, Pendlebury, Thompson, Watson, Hayes, Priddis

Would have no money left in bank.

Have 6 trades left.

• Sammy Winter says:

I meant all these rookies playing their third game. I am not sure if I have enough money for all this. Sorry if it is too long. With 6 trades left I'm saving for finals. I hope I don't need to use them until them.

• MJ says:

You'll need them – how is your overall score, if your not after the 50k and your in the top4 in your leagues i wouldn't burn anymore trades .. hang tight, use one or two but don't leave yourself with only 6 trades for half a season

13. BM says:

Have Swan & Murphy, should I trade them both?

Swan —> Pendlebury/Watson

Murphy —> Mitchell/Cotchin/Sidebottom gives a swing set.FWD/MID

Keep in mind I have 12 trades remaining, my current team is-

Goddard, Scotland, Deledio, Birchall, R Murphy, Hargrave, Clarke (Morris & Wilkes)

Ablett, Swan, Thompson, J Selwood, Boyd, Murphy (Conigilio & Horsley)

McIntosh, Giles (Stephenson & Redden)

Franklin, Dangerfield, Pavlich,Kennedy,Smedts, Saad, Zorko (Hampton & Couch)

Thanks, BM.

• Sammy Winter says:

Have both Swan and Murphy. Not trading them this week, I'm playing Magner and Shiel who were on my bench. I will trade them next week. I didn't trade them this week because I saw Zorko and Jenkins who are perfect downgrade options. That gives me the cash I need to upgrade both of them especially Murphy to some top premiums like Ablett and Pendles.

• BM says:

I went Murphy—>Mitchell

3-4 weeks out BE of 199, can't handle a tag.

Not worth keeping.

Swan 2-3 weeks BE 97.

I'll bring on Horsley to cover for him.

14. Got a funny to share with the 3 amigos and the FF community..

The other night I was having a little 'alone' time on the couch with the laptop and a hot cup of milo….In the darkened room I was really getting into the laptop action and didn't hear Mrs AnointedOne comes out and ask 'what the %&$#@ are you looking at????'

Slightly embarrassed I turned the laptop around to show Jock Reynolds Fantasy Football Consultant…therefore all good with the Mrs…her comment of 'I thought you were watching 'fried corn' was replaced with laughter and my comment as if I need that stuff honey……hehe

TAO

Week 6 2496 week 7 2454 …better than fried corn!!!!

15. Greeny says:

Just rapt with the weekends outcome.

Have alreay had fyfe, goodes that I had to deal with.

Now have Macintosh, Murphy and Swan to contend with……a promising start to the year smashed.

Does anyone have any idean wh macintosh will be back. initially, it was one week….now I am hearing 3 or 4

16. Matt says:

I only have 12 trades left due to injuries, upgrading team and some rotten luck. More rotten luck with Murphy going down and need a replacement, but who?? I could go Magner to Zorko and Murphy to Stanton/Pendlebury but will be left with 10 trades. Jock buddy need some options and advice for my supercoach dilemma thanks mate.

• cats2012 says:

im in the same problem mate, if i was you id go this.

Murph-Mitchel/Swallow

Magner-Zorko

that way there plenty of cash free'd up

• Matt says:

Thanks mate fair call except I have Mitchell and Swallow gives me too many round 11 bye players…midfield is Ablett, Mitchell, Thompson, Watson and Murph, with Old Mac, Horsley and Magner

17. Jarryd says:

Porpoise down to Zorko.

Murphy back to Ablett with the leftover cash.

Anyone think it could be a problem with me needing two of Saad, Zorko, Smedts and Dell'Olio to play each week?

Also have Couch, for when he eventually starts playing, that I can swing into the forward line if needed. Am I expecting too much?

Really wanted Porpoise to be upgradeable but Murphy says otherwise. 2399 this week and was hoping to make no trades, instead leave myself with 12 left..

• You would think Couch would start to get a game sooner or later. I have had him since the start and seen most thrashings…give him a few more weeks it will be a dud trade away otherwise.

Dell Ollio wont be getting a game anytime soon apart from GWS, too many to come back in Colyer, McVeigh Hille, …..Gumbleton….

Zorko looks the goods.

• Jarryd says:

Don't expect much from Dell'Olio. He was really impressive against Fremantle, I think, in one of the NAB cup games and I know how much Essendon love a small forward.. Even one that isn't super so I thought he could have been a good unique.

I think Smedts will come good and agreeing on Zorko.

18. Andy says:

Jock, you absolute legend, your podcast is now a monday night tradition… I am also regarded by many as a "champion of the trouser" so I glad that some else knows the type of responsibility that comes with this…

Good on ya my SUN!!!!!!!!

19. James says:

ebert to trent cochin for a lock

great advice jock

20. Nateo says:

murphy out for 8-10 =[

21. Sam C says:

I need advice about my Dreamteam. My current team is as follows:

Def: Deledio, Goddard, Waters, Lake, Bugg, Clarke, Morris, Dempsey, Ellis

Mid: Swan, Ablett, Mitchell, Cotchin, Hayes, Ebert, Horsley, Shiel

Ruck: Cox, Maric, Giles, Redden

Fwd: Dangerfield, Martin, Franklin, Johnson, Porplyzia, Treloar, Adams, Smith, Pffeifer

Spare cash = 133k

I've just traded marc Murphy for Ablett, so i have a trade left this week, 16 left in total. I'm averaging 2067 too, so im not exactly doing badly.

I plan on keeping Ebert for one more week against Gold Coast, then upgrading to Scott Thompson. Swan I can keep on the bench. But Mitchell keeps letting me down. Should I upgrade him to stanton next week? Or maybe Hayes instead?

My forward line is not doing great too. Im considering downgrading a GWS player to Zorko, and upgrading Porplyzia to Sidebottom next week. But which ones?

Hopefully my cash cows will ripen in a couple of weeks so I can downgrade them and use the cash to grab a better defender, forward, and stanton.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

22. Stefanaki says:

Jock,

Any advice on trading out Ellis or Morris – need to move on either of these two prior to Richmonds bye rounds.

Is it worth holding on for this week given that Grimes is out, potentially opening up a permanent spot for ellis?

• Mick says:

I'd hold ellis at least this week. In any event, morris > ellis for the rest of the season.

• MJ says:

I think both will play though the bye rounds so I wouldn't trade until their bye in round 13. I have both too and if luck plays out will be upgrading one of them to perimum forn round 11/12 sides .. i'm leaning towards Shaw. If you do trade them now you will have a zero from whoever you trade in anyway .. id hold

23. Dylan says:

Went murph to sidebum. Stuff the bye, I'll eat a donut (if swan isn't back by the bye…)

Didn't want to trade this week as I'm averaging 2100 and my opponent is averaging 1454. Tis the season to be injured!

24. swans05 says:

any midfielder in the league who do i go, i dont want ablett becasue i have 768k and it would only leave me with 60 odd K Left over, id rather a watson or stanton at a cheaper price.

My mids already – Priddis, Jselwood, Pendles, Hayes

so whos the next best to but in ?

• Stefanaki says:

Dangermouse or Sidebum if you haven't got them in your fwd line.

• swans05 says:

ive got the big danger, but i still for some insane reason dont rate the sidebum i can just see his form dropping his already gone up to high in price for me aswell, anyone else?

25. MJ says:

Decisions Decision Decisions !! After a drop three weeks ago due to a donut from Selwood's late withdrawal and no cover on my bench I have picked it back up with a couple of big scores and have downgraded nicely to give me $543k in the bank with 15 trades left coming into this round. I have refered to this money as "Ablet Money" as I wanted to get him back in and was going to to it this week however I have been tempted to leave it this week and perform a couple more down grades as I have my eye on a couple of rookies on the bubble. Would like some thoughts

Round 9

McIntosh to Jenkins +392,900

A Hall to Zorko +64,300

I have Sandilands and Giles in the ruck at the moment with McIntosh on the bench. Is there much pt holding onto hime when Giles average is only slightly less. Either way it is alot of $$$ sitting on the bench for most of the year.

A Hall just isn't getting a game so I figure I may aswell replace him and give myself some more bench cover. May even start zorko as my 7th forward. Another tonne would be nice.

Problem is Job security for both ?? do we think they will play. Will Jenkins be out as soon as Walker comes back ? then I have no ruck cover, unless i rely on Big 0 cover … not holding my breath there.

If I do go this way I will then have 1.011 million in the bank and 13 trades remaining. Will get Ablet in the week after, upgrading Sheil so should have 600k left and then the big questions will be where to spend the rest ??

Oh and averaging 2233 at the min, ranked 922

• swans05 says:

mj son how longs is hamish mac out for??

• MJ says:

I see from the barometer on Hearld Sun Superfooty just one more week but seen rummors that it could be 3-4 more weeks. But not really the issue as even if he was playing id have to have either him or giles on the pine and thats a lot of $$$ that could go elsewhere especially if Jenkins can provide cover

• Sammy Winter says:

What's your team name? Having a look at your team.

• Sammy Winter says:

Had a look at your team and it looks like it is in pretty good form.

I would use your extra cash to upgrade:

DEFENDERS

Ellis needs to go. Either upgrade into Scotland or downgrade.

Hargrave or Lake could be a problem in the buy rounds. Have a look at B.Waters

MIDFIELDERS

Side trade Ledger into a playing rookie in the next couple of weeks. You said you'd upgrade Shiel into Ablett. Your midfielders look set until the finals. With Horsley as a sixth midfielder and Adams on the bench.

RUCKS

Micintosh

• Sammy Winter says:

Your team is in good form. I looked at your team and here's what I think you should do.

DEFENDERS

Get rid of Ellis. Upgrade into Shaw or Scotland or downgrade into a rookie.

MIDFIELDERS

Trade out Ledger into a playing rookie. Horsley is a good sixth midfielder and with Adams on the bench your midfield is set.

RUCKS

Trade Micintosh into Jenkins. That's a good trade. Micintosh is to much money to be on the bench especially since you have Giles. I'll be copping a ruck donut in round 11. I have Nic Nat, Giles, Jenkins and Orren.

FORWARDS

Definately trade out Hall. I don't see him playing for a while. Zorko is the only downgrade there is for him at the moment. With all the extra money you have upgrade Treloar when the time is right to either O'Keefe, N.Riewoldt or Jono Brown.

• Jock says:

MJ old son good to see ya mate. Personally I'd offload big Mac off your ruck bench and snag Jenkins this week. From what I've seen of the big Jenk Ithink we'll see him quite a bit this season

• MJ says:

Thanks Jock .. i seem to have a headache every week with big decisions .. hope I haven't used too many trades, 13 left after this round .. come on jenkins

26. Sammy Winter says:

Round 7

Out: Morris In: Rookie (Spurr)

Out: Bugg In: Premium (Goddard)

Round 8 – Last Round

Out: Milera In: Rookie (Zorko)

Out: Redden In: Rookie (Jenkins)

Round 9 – Next Round

Out: Murphy In: Premium (Ablett, Pendlebury, Thompson, Watson, Hayes, Priddis)

Out: Shiel In: Rookie

Round 10

Out: Magner In: Premium (Ablett, Pendlebury, Thompson, Watson, Hayes, Priddis)

Out: Smith In: Premium (N.Riewoldt, J.Brown, O'Keefe)

Round 11

Have 8 trades left. After all these.

Looking at Thompson for Murphy, Magner for Priddis and Smith for O'Keefe.

Keeping Swan as he should be out for two weeks. For those weeks I will bring on Magner.

This week I am putting Boyd as captain and Mitchell as vice.

27. The splinter says:

been putting quite a lot of thought into the bye rounds and have become very uneasy! whispers around some clubs are they will take the opportunity to give key players a "general soreness" rest either side of their bye to give them a 3 week freshen up for their push to the finals!

28. Heath says:

Greetings one and all,

Looking for some advice on 2 points.

1) Is Zorko a must given the lack of decent rookies on the horizon in the next 6 weeks (not many will be given a show with byes coming up)?

2) Is Nicky Dal worth a look now that he has well and truly bottomed out? He has never been on my list of premiums that i want in the guts but he is just so damn cheap (and he has really only had one bad game this year)

I'm sold on the Bugg —> Scotland trade this week but now just weighing up whether to go

Magner—–> Zorko or Dal Santo

Have got 15 trades prior to play with and 548k to get someone to replace Magner.

29. BM says:

Which one of the following?

S Mitchell & P Ryder

N Dal Santo & A Sandilands

J Watson & J Jenkins (if I went this one I'd have 4 rookies Giles, Jenkins, Stephenson and Redden)

Any help would be extremely helpful.

Thanks