Rate Crouching’s Supercoach 2012 Team

Filed in Game Strategy, Supercoach by on February 28, 2012 • views: 2035

Catch the latest from Jock and the crew in their weekly Supercoach Podcast

Welcome coaches.

As we discuss in this weeks podcast…. With NAB Cup Rd. 1 over, time for The Crouching One to get serious with some important strategy ……

My Team follow a few key principle;

1. This year, hardest line to pick PREMIUMS is DEFENCE …. this is where I go thin with hope to upgrade when 2012 DEFENDER GUNS start to fire.

2. This year GUN-ROOKIE strategy seems best way to go.

3. When possible, pick ROOKIE with hair down the stair(MATURE AGE)

4. Most predicatble PREMIUM LOCK can be found in MIDFIELD.

5. Starting a ROOKIE RUCK on the ground is big risk.

6. Spend every bloody cent to get best team possible!

7. Use Round 13 DIVE STRATEGY to eat donut all at once …… this help with LEAGUE success and also likely to even out with earlier trading.

Here is my team, please consider and rate below. I use Mr Higgo’s excellent team building tool for this one.

Welcome.

Whose first Supercoach team is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. It could just be Eade’s mind games but I’ll still keep him, sit him on the bench til he is available.

2. Rookie choices are good, although Marty Clarkes injury would turn me off. Am a little concerned with the light backs, I would be takin out a key forward and adding in a Goddard or similar in the backs. You are only really leaving yourself up to back upgrades, why if it is a poor or inconsistent year for backs?

3. Gray, rediwolt, brown, Burgoyne are all a little risky also, I don't mind two of them in the team but wouldn't go all four.

4. Also, although Ellis and Morris both look the goods, will they both get lots of game time in that backline? I would take a punt on one of them, and whack in another GWS player knowing he will be upgraded around round 7 anyway….

5. Simon says:

Too many mid-pry. This remember me of more of traditional strategy.

6. Pales says:

Looks like he could struggle to even field enough players in Defence for round 1…

Also, is relying heavily upon the rookies getting a game. And not being used as a sub.

7. Rodney Eade said last night on AFL 360 Marty Clarke will play next week in the NAB CUP!

8. Shannon says:

Great side!

I reckon Kruezer isn't much less of a risk than Stephensen and is 300k dearer. Think it's worth the punt on a rookie ruck. Also seems fwd line heavy.

Here's my team for anyone interested, all comments welcome:

Backs: Goddard, Deledio, Shaw, Broughton, Lake, Bugg, Morriss (Mohr, Wilkes)

Mids: Ablett, Swan, Boyd, Priddis, Chapman, Reid (McDonald, Baguley)

Rucks: Sanderlands, Stephensen (Giles, Rowe)

Forwards: Fraklin, Sidebottom, Dangerfield, Brown, Rohan, Zorko, Smedts (Cooyou, Treloar)

• Luke says:

Nice team Shannon! Still tossing up over going with 3 Rookie rucks myself… I would probably look at picking up another MID rookie as it seems there are a lot to choose from so far and maybe upgrade Dangefield or Sidebottom (or both). But great side.

• Spifflicator says:

I prefer TWest to Kruezer. The guy will play every game bar injury, and is my 'breakout' mid pricer for 2012. I also am not a fan of the 1-0-3 strategy for rucks. Either 2-0-2 or 1-1-2 for mine.

Crouching, I am not a fan of the rookie backs at this stage so I think a 2-1-6 backline strategy is VERY risky. I am going with 4 or 5 backline prems & more swinging midfield rookies who can swap with your premium backs and fwds to help cover the byes. In fact I am giving serious consideration to a 2-0-6 midfield as I believe there is sufficient upside in the mid rookies to cover the early points deficit of running only 2 mid prems over the first 6-8 weeks. We'll see how brave I am come week 1!

• Casey says:

How are you affording this team?

9. Stuart says:

Bit of work to do crouching…

Scotland in mids… Please, don't do it

Look fwd to Vers 2..

10. Roman says:

Crouch I'm with you on Kreuzer over the Leunbergerandchips but 441K for Jack R???

11. Jason says:

Crouching – I think the tank is the wrong way to go my friend. If you have balanced side you will only need to eat 3,2,3 donut which will be a bit more paletable. Plus if you trade well in the early part of the season the scores you have from upgrade players will still hold up! Good luck with the dive – just hope not too much hair down there!

12. like your team but i seem to have alot of players different. Look forward to see which is better

13. Jordan Forrest via F says:

3 tigers defenders is a little risky…

14. Really? I thought it was going the be awhile for Clarke……. I will have to follow this up!

15. Mark says:

will brian lake get games?

16. Mark says:

Hmmm to be honest mate i dont know if the rookie idea is necessarily the best way to go.

Your backline in particular is the biggest gamble. The chances that Richmond will start with all 3 of their rookies in the backline is not too likely. Im Guessing that Ellis will get a solid position down back and the other 2 will be emergencies.

I also see Tim Mohr to be a bit like Sebastian Tape, will play games, but get low totals due to all his time tagging others.

Brian Lake may fire up but cant see him being the solid point scorer he once was, Yet i might be willing to give him a chance in my team.

And as Leigh Anthony Moss mentioned, Burgoyne is another risky player. Could fire, or could perform reasonably.

Rookies in the backline wont increase too much unless they spend time in the mid. Hence i think you should upgrade the quality of rookies in the Mid. Maybe have a look at Wingard or even Morabito, who i think will be more likely to play than Lachie Neale

17. Interesting one Marty Clark Stephen Dids Derham, have him in the 'red' no go status on the cheat sheet but could be all green if he is back and firing this weekend

18. Len says:

Mate, I don't know where to start, but here will do:

Why pick Scotland and then play him the middle, this means you have an unnecessary rookie in the back when there are some awesome options for rookies in the middle.

I am wondering if this team isn't just designed to be a talking point that bears about as much resemblance to s starting team as I do to Brad Pitt…

• Jock says:

Funny you mention Brad Pitt. Many have suggested that I am the Brad Pitt of my generation and/or the greater Frankston region.

Greatto have you on the site mate ;)

• CrouchingOne says:

Bahahaha!

I respect your inner wisdom Mr. Len.

Crouching One not silly – this team close, but like Mrs. Tiger, it maybe have bit of flabby poke out of gym pant.

I want win $50,000 so buy new boat. If you like go fishing Mr. Len, you vely welcome to come.

Welcome,

Crouching

19. It could just be Eade's mind games but I'll still keep him, sit him on the bench til he is available.

20. Octopig says:

Sorry Crouchy, looks a bit unbalanced, too much richmond(esp in defence), too little collingwood, very little cash in the bank, and the points seem less assured.

you have missed the rookie bargains to be had in the ruck division – the money you save can be pumped into assured points pendles/swan/boyd

Fwd: Gray, Burgoyne and Riewoldt look too risky and expensive for my liking, i agree with having Scotland in a mid position as it completes the def/mid swing set – will definitely be useful at some point

I think there's definitely an 'older player is a better player' (or 'more hair down the stair') mentality going on – not sure I concur with this, i much prefer the idea of a sprightly up and coming youngster with improvement potential rather than the likes of sandilands/pavlich/brown/goodes – they are all unlikely to improve their averages so you pay for all the points – the idea is to seek out the free points – i.e. improvements on last years average – of course there are exceptions to this but certainly with these old cart horses – swap em over!

21. Barnburners says:

Great strategy Crouching! If mid pricers on backline and/or forward fail then you are able to substitute Goodes and Scotland and pick up midfielder(s)set to explode. The old reverse psychology.

22. Dan says:

Someone give me info on my team –

Backline – B. Goddard, B. Deledio, J. Adcock, J.Grimes, M. Clarke, B. Ellis, T.Bugg (S. Morris)

Midfield – G. Ablett, M. Murphy, M. Boyd, S. Mitchell, L. Hayes, K.Lucas (L. Neale, J. Magner)

Rucks – M. Leueneburger, J.Giles, (O. Stephanson)

Forwards – L. Franklin, N. Fyfe, D. Martin, D. Zahakarakis, J. Brown, B. Smedts, A. Hall ( D. Zorko, T. Mcintyre)

• Mark says:

Kane Lucas might find it hard to get a game in carlton.

Carlton has a very strong midfield.

Might have to reconsider him

• Octopig says:

looks a class side to me – one concern tho – Adcock was pretty bipolar last season – beware

Also Zorko has been getting less attention due to hip injury concerns – may be an issue? i would have thought that you need to pick the rookies that are round 1 given starters.

23. Dan says:

goodes needs to go cos his suspended for round 1!

• CrouchingOne says:

Dear many man who make comment,

NO SILENCE!!! Continue with the enlig …. enligt … velly make me learn words.

This remember me of Jungles of Pyanmah – when think know evlything, trip on untie shoelace and land face in orangutan dropping.

Goodes – me not know!

Many other thought, good thought. You silly to pick team like my team! Remember, "man who fish in nother man well, most likely catch crab" ….. old Pyanmanese saying.

Welcome,

Crouching

24. qstick says:

what do you think of this team Jock?? im fairly happy with it at moment.

Backs

Goddard, Deledio, Shaw,Broughton, Bugg, Clarke, Spurr, Ellis, ,Smedts,

Midfielders

Ablett Swan, Murphy, Selwood, Magner, Neale, Tyson, Gibson

Rucks

Mumford, Stephensen, Derickx, Giles,

Forwards

Franklin, Fyfe, Martin, Riewoldt, Nick ,Sidebottom, Kerridge, Hall, ,Saad, Treloar,

• Jock says:

Looks a very nicely balanced mob mate. Interested to see how Ross treats Broughton this year could be a relitively unique and effective pick. Nick Riewoldt… love the bloke… but has me concerned so far I'll want to see some solid output from him before round 1. Great job mate

25. DA says:

Hi Jock, Loving your site. All my students are too. They particularly love Crouching. I think Crouchings side has your team and Higoos team covered hands-down.

You might be able to help us with this slight problem. The CEO (Catholic Education Office) have blocked access to the HeraldSun Supercoach site. Any chance you, or Higgos Mathematical brain, can build a backdoor entry into the site. Im sure many fantasy football league followers around these parts would be experiencing similar difficulties with their boss cock-blocking their access. Thoughts?

• Jock says:

hmmm. suggest looking at one of the other states papers websites ie the Adelaide Now or the NT one…? A significant problem that needs a remedy mate, Anyone?

26. MJ says:

Crouching,

SILENCE … your team has more holes in it than a horse traders mule. The only thing I will agree with you on is that the hardest line to pick PREMIUMS is the DEFENCE. I am considering a similar strategy myself with Goddard as the sole premium in the backline. Some points of concern:

1.You have contradicted yourself and have selected two premium defenders in Lid and Scotland both of who I think will drop in value early. and why oh why is Scotland in your midfield ?? if you are going to spend money in the middle make it on the SC elite

2. you advise: "This year GUN-ROOKIE strategy seems best way to go" but then you load up on mid-pricers .. WHY ?? 5 in total and to be honest not even the best mid-price options IMO

3. Dive strategy won't win you the 50k so you can say goodbye to that boat :p

4. We all have options on this great game but I really don't see the sense in you Premium/midprice Ruck Strategy. You are going to spend 300k more on you midpricer than your Rookie in the year we have two great starting Rookie options. Not great value for money IMO

Its not easy putting up a team for the world at large to pick holes in so good on you for that. I suspect there will be alot of changes before round 1 anyway so don't get too down hearted :D

P.S if i had to match my team with one of Higgo, Jock or Croughing i'd def be going with Jock .. Come on Higgo and Couching make me pick your Version 2 teams :D

• Jock says:

Thanks for the input MJ, your constructive feedback is welcomed mate. Tell you one thing mate the outfits that Crouching and Higgo march out in round 1 will be no pushovers ;)

27. Luke says:

heyy just wanted to see if anyone had some feedback about my team…

def:

cooyou GWS

pfeiffer PTA

Hall GCS

res:

Treloar GWS

Just need another mid rookie and fwd rookie got $228,000

any tips or opinions would be awesome thanks guys!!

• Jock says:

Reckon Goodes is best left till midseason – have a squizz at his first half of the season stats for the past few years..he tends to peak late season

28. Luke says:

IGNORE MY LAST POST!!! UPDATES TEAM!!

heyy just wanted to see if anyone had some feedback about my team…

def:

cooyou GWS

pfeiffer PTA

Smedts GEE

res:

Treloar GWS

Kerridge ADE

Any feedback or comments would be good :) only question is whether to have brown ADE or wilkes STK

• Huckleberry says:

goddard STK

scotland CAR

deledio RIC

broughton FRE

midfield:

pendlebury COL

dal santo STK

Selwood GEE

Forwards:

fyfe FRE

Goodes SYD

… these players dont present any value, each costing $5,400 per point(average) plus likely to drop in the short term. I would wait till they drop then jump on.

gg

29. AngryAnt says:

J.Brown has just had his face smashed up in training and looks like he'll need surgery again. Grimes has done something aswell once again.

30. Shannon says:

What's the consensus on Goddard? Quite a few premium teams have picked him though he had a quiet NAB cup round 1 and was inconsistent last year. At 580k it's a fair risk??? I picked him last year and lost a fortune having to sub him out.

• Jock says:

Was a little worried bout Lamb Of Goddard last week was not looking too crash hot.. lets see how he goes for the next week or 2. Still locked in for mine

31. Adam says:

More Bad News for all you Johnno Brown Fans:

32. Dan says:

thoughts on chad wingard fro PA?

33. Mark says:

Why is everyone looking past Brent Renouf from P.A.

With Lobbe out of the game for a while Im sure he will be the number 1 ruckman

34. Rhino says:

So who is the best replacement for Brown?

35. Pales says:

gary rohan is good value… keep tabs on callinan/porplyzia as well

36. Marty Clarke had been named to play on sat night!

37. SoftSocks says:

YOUR CELEBRITY CROUCHING

38. SoftSocks says:

YOUR A* CELEBRITY CROUCHING** (saw you on the HS website)

39. Andrew says:

Surely you have to put Goddard in your team

40. Trent says:

Backs – Goddard, Scarlett, Taylor, Duigan, Grimes, B.Ellis, Bugg, Mohr and S.Morris. Midfielders – Ablett, Judd, Fyfe, Shuey, Hill, Wingard, Magner and Neale. Rucks – Naitanui, Mclintosh, Stephensen and Giles. Forwards – Johnson, Hawkins, Pavlich, Gray, Howe, Saad, Hall, Butcher and Cooyou. What do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

41. shane says:

Ive had a crack boys. Only took me 45 mins to pick. What do you think?

Goddard, M.Mcveigh,Conca,Lake, R.Hargrave, Bugg, Mohr. {S.Morris,A.Browne}

Ablett, Selwood,Boyd,Pendlebury,Cotchin, Shiel,{Mcdonald,Magner}

Sandilands,Mcintosh,{Stephenson,Giles}

Franklin,Gray,Fyfe,Martin, Butcher,Porplyzia,Zorko,{Couch, Hall}

Not sure about Shiel as i think he is injured? Also not real confident about having 2 PA forwards but i reckon Butcher is a gun and im banking on Gray playing plenty of midfields games this year.

Any thoughts?

42. Fotios says:

What is your opinion on going 4 rookies in the ruck?? I know it's a big risk .. Just having some thoughts on it and thinking of going ahead with it.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

43. Sambo says:

First time post, long time fan. Would love some feedback on my team!

Thanks heaps!!

Goddard, Scotland, Lake, Hargrave, Clarke M, Bugg T, Morris S, Brown L, Wilkes B

Ablett, Swan, Murphy, Boyd, Selwood, Smith C, Wingard, Reid S

Maric, Giles, Redden, Stephenson O

Franklin, Goodes, Pavlich, Fyfe, Martin, Smith D, Elton T, Saad A, Smedts B.

Help much appreciated!!!!

• Sambo says:

Any feedback would be great – I've been told I should upgrad Maric, which would mean I have to sell one of my premium players, what do you think?

44. Pete says:

who's your captain and VC?

45. Stewart says:

Hey hey all,

Hoping for advice on my first supercoach team!

DEFENDERS

DANGERFIELD, Patrick (MID) $435,400

COUCH, Thomas (MID) $94,700

KERRIDGE, Sam (MID) $106,600

HALL, Aaron $106,600

Cheers :)

46. Hi Jock & Others

Love your work would value your input into my team.

B Goddard, Broughton, Lake, Gutherie, M Clarke, Ellis, Bugg (tomlinson, morris)

M: Ablett, Priddis, Fyfe, Watson, Delidio, Conglio, (Wingard, Hampton)

R: Mumford, Luenberger, (Redden, Stephenson)

F: Franklin, Pavlich, Martin, J Riewoldt,Porplyzia, Smith, Pfeffier, (Smedts, Dickson)

Have got a few DPP's

Cash left $6K

47. Gabby says:

Will Sam Gibson and Lachie Neale play games?

48. We stumbled over here different web page and thought I might check things out.

I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to going over your web page

yet again.