Rate Jock’s Supercoach Team v1

Filed in Supercoach, The Jock Drawer by on February 23, 2012 • views: 4372
The Peoples Prince - Jock Reynolds

The Peoples Prince – Jock Reynolds

I mentioned in this weeks post NAB weekend 1 podcast that I would reveal the first version of my Supercoach 2012 team during the week. What Jock Reynolds says Jock Reynolds delivers folks. I haven’t reached lofty heights within the AFL community by making silly promises willy nilly.

Our maths and stats brain Peter Higginbotham last week revealed the first version of his team. Fair to say that Higgo has had chins wagging and tempers flaring by the water cooler. I’ve booked him into counselling sessions to help him deal with the demands that come with his growing public profile. His recovery is progressing nicely. Eating solids again. Due to be right by next weeks podcast.

Righto – here it is folks.  I’ve used the sen-bloody-sational “Higginator” Team Analysis Tool to get this together:

Supercoach 2012 Defenders

Goddard was about the only fella I didn’t give a 2nd thought to here. The main concern with Scotland  is his age which still has me worried. Hard to look past the bloke though on current form, reliability and his DEF/MID abilities. Brian Lake I will be watching like an absolute HAWK for the rest of the preseason – the slightest hint of a setback and WOOOSHKA he’ll be out the door.

Supercoach 2012 RucksBeen keen on the 1 gun 3 rookie ruck format for some weeks now. Big Matty HamNEggnBurger is a real star and I am a dead set rap for the kid. Read more about my thoughts on him in Jock’s Locks here. With Vardy crook big Orren ‘Ayres Rock’ Stephensen will be my rookie on the ground with Giles the other lock. Not too sure about young Sammy Rowe yet, I’ll see how his shoulder pulls up otherwise big Tomy Derickx is next in line.

Supercoach 2012 midfieldersReckon Leigh Montagna has been slipping under the radar so far this preseason. A proven Supercoach gun a bit off his game last year and at a nice price. No secret I’m a big rap for gun and all round good bloke Matty Priddis . Steele Sidebum is one player in and out of my lineup – reckon he is due to bust out and also like his MID/FWD abilities. Rookies not locked in obviously at this stage but liked the look of Bauguley and he’ll open up a link with my defenders.

Buddy will smash em this year if what I saw last weekend is anything to go by. Looks bloody tops. Big Jono Brown carries with him some risk, but the reward will be too juicy to pass up on. Can play with injury so at least he’ll be a warm body on the field if his rig doesn’t quite hold up. Gary Rohan… look out AFL here he comes. Will have a close look again at him this weekend but a super talent at a tempting price.

Supercoach bye strategyWe all know that rounds 11 thru 13 will be a real bugger this season with the multi byes. Higgo’s tool is showing red for me in round 11 which is alright as most of my round 11 blokes are rookies that I’ll have cashed in by then.

Round 13 is gonna hurt with many of my premoim guns having the bye. I’m not letting this sway me in my team selection. I’ve been pretty vocal in my view that there is a lot of water to pass under the old bridge before then. Concentrating too much on round 13 at this stage risks you compromising the quality of your picks. I’ll think more about bye friendliness as injuries and upgrades become a factor. Read up on my warning about Noise Pollution here to help you get onto the straight and narrow in this regard

Supercoach team balance

Looking at the team balance I’m pretty bloody happy with my Guns to Rookies ratio. Generally not a midprice man unless there’s something especially juicy in that price range, and reckon J Brown and Rohan could tick that box.

So team… what do you reckon of Jock’s first Supercoach 2012 team?

1. Jordan Forrest via F says:

No Dustin Martin?

• Alex says:

He's there.

• Josh says:

Jock, wouldn't mind your thoughts and opinions on my side for 2012…question mark over one fella, what do you think of big sammy reid from sydney?

BACKLINE

j.brown

a.christensen

s.reid (sydney)

s.rowe

a.trelor

t.walsh

Also wanting joel selwood in there somewhere, but don't know how to slot him in…you're help would be much appreciated!!

2. Joshua Beattie via F says:

gonna move to my study and have a good look at this. :)

3. Mark says:

I was thinking Lenny Hayes would be a decent pick.

Even if his old body wont last the entire season, he can prove to be a great trade up option to a top Gun like Pendles after a few weeks.

And Sam J Reid is a bloody superstar. Can definetely see him playing a lot of Games and seeing a nice rise in his price. Great pick on him

Is Luke Brown still a suspension risk??

• Jock says:

Yeah good call mate – would love to fit Lenny in there. Love the bloke.

Just think the risk factor is a tad high there, and after that long out his output will be down a bit for at least 8 weeks I reckon.

• Mark says:

Even not at top form Hayes can probably still rack up 80 points at least, May not seem like much with so many other players to choose.. And he also runs the risk of injury.. But if he can make it at least 5 rounds.. Then theres plenty of money to get a top quality superstar.

Its a risk but if all goes well, the trade up will be too good to pass

4. In the forwards mate – love young Dusty this year ;)

5. Jordan Forrest via F says:

oh he is too, dont know how i missed that!
    god I almost had a heart attack haha

6. Jock….i've told you many times my friend, get on Shuey.

7. Haha good on ya Micky – he's in the mix mate

• Tim says:

Defenders-B Goddard, B Deledio, H scotland, B Lake, M Buntine, M Clarke, B Ellis, S Darley, L Brown

Midfield-G Ablett, N Dal Santo, M Murphy, M Priddis, M Barlow, S Coniglio, S Reid, T Mitchell

Ruck-M leuenberger, J Giles, O Stephenson, J Staley

Forward-L Franklin, R Okeefe, D Martin, S Sidebottom, J Porplysia, S Gumbleton, D Pfieffer, D Zorko, B Smedts

$50,900 remaining

15 rookies, 2 mid-pice, 13 premiums

byes-Round 11, Round 12, Round 13

11 8 11

Thanks Jock :)

• Tim says:

Could you please have a look at my team thanks

• The Big Fella says:

M.Clarke is under an Injury Cloud.

Scott Gumbleton has played 7mins in 18 years. Rest of the side is fairly decent. Might want to also look at some more DPP flexibility

• Tim says:

marty clarke did soft tissue damaged so he will be ok. I reckon gumbleton will go good this year.. but i might change him for another rookie:) thanks big fella

• josh says:

dude u seriously cannot be thinking of putting gumbles in?? he hasnt played a NAB cup game yet and is probably the most likely player in the afl to get injured, not to mention his had a shit pre-season

8. I'd drop Priddis for him tbqh ;) But thats me

9. Jordan Forrest via F says:

i wouldnt agree michael, sorry ahah

10. Each to their own Jordan, I just see Priddis taking a drop in price this year. Shuey has the right mindset to elevate himself to the level of Ablett/Swan/Pendles/Dal

11. Mark says:

Yeh i see your point there Jock.

But do you think its wise to play Goddard, Scotland and Deledio at once?

They all have a bye in round 13, And im assuming you don't plan to trade them out cause they are all solid point scorers.

Come round 13 your score is going to dip a lot unless you burn a trade getting rid of one of them

• Jock says:

Great point Mark. Law of averages tell me one of them is likely to get injured/suspended before then anyway. Taking the punt on not compromising the best picks

• Mark says:

Its a massive gamble there..

Your basically guessing they would get injured/ suspended.

For me Im gonna have:

Goddard

Deledio

Enright

and Maybe Jed Adcock or Heath Shaw

That way when the bye comes around, I'll have at least 2 Superstars in my line up

12. Lee says:

Can you rate my team please

As all ways beginning of the season is the hardest time

DEF

J, Brown BL

J, Porplyzia AD

A, Tomlinson GWS DEF

D, Pfeiffer PA MID

A, Treloar GWS MID

T, Wlash SY

Thinking of changing Pendles out so i can get a stonger MID for Morabito.

And Giles for Smith and spend on another small priced ruck to leave more money for else where

Please rate my team Jock

Cheers

• Andrew says:

Barlow he hunts the ball like nobodys business. Or Cotchin, Fyfe (MID/FWD) and Goodes or O'Keef

• Alex says:

Morabito looks a risk at this stage. Coming off a bad knee injury. Done nothing so far.

• Jock says:

Gday there Lee tops to have you here mate. Coming together nicely. Porplyzia has had a minor injury setback which in isolation is no major concern but considering his history it was enough for me to pull the old pin.. Lachie Hansen is a ? for mine, can't see the kid developing into a premiumish back.. all in all a nice looking formation mate

13. Chris Midgley via Fa says:

ive not herd much of baguley

14. Kade Birchall via Fa says:

gotta have buddyyyyy

15. ziebell over sidebottom i say, ROK in mid to give DPP

16. Ben says:

Hey Jock, can you take a look at my team please.

DEF

27 B.Smedts GEE

28 Z.Skinner WB

29 D.Zorko BRIS

30 C.Dell'Olio ESS

Cheers mate

• Jock says:

Gday there Benny good to see you up and about and planning your team mate!

Like the look of your team mate you have done well. A couple of my opinions… Yagmoor I's keep an eye on during the rest of the NAB, looked fair dinkum tops last weekend but its a tough team to break into… Suckling.. will be interesting to see how much more upside he has left in him, interesting one… great team mate

17. BUNTER says:

great site,jock n all… feed back from everyone,please. DEF GODDARD,HEPPELL,HARGRAVE.CLARKE?,DOCKERTY?,SMEDTS,MOHR, MORRIS,L BROWN….MIDS.ABLETT,SWAN,MURPH,FYFE,DILIDEO.CONIGLIO?.MCDONALD,MITCHELL? (INJ)….RUCKS….MUMMY,LEUNBERGER,GILES,STEVENSON……FWDS….BUDDY,GOODES,MARTIN,BROWN.PORPOISE?,ZORKO?,HAMPTON,WEEDEN,MAGNER?…….

18. MJ says:

Jock my auld flower,

Was really looking forward to having a look at this team mate and you haven't disappointed :D

You sly dog, you keeping this baguley guy to yourself ?? I like how you have gone heavy on the midfield, five guns in there .. nice .. that's were the real points are coming from :D

If I have one concern i'd say you have spent too much in defense on guys I don't think will guarantee big scores off the bat .. Deledio has a little nigglely injury and a horrible run of games at the start of the year Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, and WCE in the first 5 rounds. Can see him starting slow and could be a great first upgrade come round 6 :) I see Shaw and Scotland as both risks too and don't think either are ganteed to get you the asking price value of points.

However if they do this team looks really strong and a really well balanced, Has given me some fresh ideas too so big thanks :D

• Jock says:

Gday there MJ! Need to see a bit more of the Baguley boy but what I have seen has been quite solid.. Deledio I am quite bullish on pending of course the status of his niggle. Team is in early stages.. watch the changes trickle in!

19. Klay says:

Why start sidebum in the mids???

20. Alex says:

For mine, not sold on Baguley or Wilkes thus far. I think one of your premium defender/mids has to play in the middle instead of maybe Monty.

• Jock says:

Gday Alex – thanks for the input mate and that is one thing that I have also been scratching the chin over. Baguley got across the line helped by his MID/DEF eligibility but I'm not completely sold on him either. Would prefer Sam Gibson in there.. and yes – I might need to consider one of the DEF/MIDS backs in the midfield.

21. Chris Midgley via Fa says:

so you're pretty cofident zorko will be fit

22. Ollie says:

Hey Jock, could you have a look at my team please?!

Defenders: Goddard, Shaw, Birchall, Broughton, Duffield, Clarke, Bugg (Smedts, Brown)

Midfielders: Ablett, Murphy, Boyd, Selwood, Neale, Gibson (Docherty, Pfeiffer)

Rucks: Sandilands, Giles (Derickx, Stephenson)

Forwards: Franlkin, Fyfe, Martin, Sidebottom, Porplyzia, Weedon, Walsh (Tomlinson, Hampton)

13 Premiums

2 Mid-Price

15 Rookies

1 Def-Mid

1 Mid-Fwd

1 Def-Fwd

Def byes 2/5/2

Mid byes 3/2/3

Ruck byes 1/2/1

Fwd byes 4/3/2

Thanks Jock!

23. Shannon says:

Hey Jock! Great to see someone else has picked Boydy. What a gun! Probably one of the most underrated players in the AFL and a red hot chance for the Brownlow (I'm a pies fan BTW). What do you think of Mitch Wallis? He missed games last year as a fringe player in his first year though scored well when he played. With Ward gone I reckon he'll be a regular. Also is Didak too much of a risk? We know he has the skill and couldn't possibly get any worse. Thanks mate, great side!

24. Willo says:

Hi Jock, nice team! But I notice having 4 premos and 2 swingers in your mids has left u with only 2 of those valuable midfield rookies.

Do you think having the swinging option in your starting team is an absolute must?

25. The Vibe Squad says:

Jock, I'm not sure where you transcended from, but we as mere mortals are benefiting greatly from your prosperous wisdom. It takes

After much deliberation, thought and blue cheese i present you my Supercoach 2012 team for your perusal, advice and guidance.

Backs

Sidebottom

Winderlich

Porplyzia

Treloar

(Walsh, Wheedon)

Kitty: $23,700.00

Thanking you in advance sir.

• Shannon says:

Clarke injured, only soft tissue though still a gamble. Same with Shiel. Would go for Stephensen over Giles as your on field ruck.

Great side, fwd's look dangerous! No Jonno Brown???

26. Shannon says:

Hi Guys,

Would apprecaite some advice on my side. Have re-jigged a bit based on Jock's words of wisdom though plety of time for improvements.

Backs: Goddard, Deledio, Shaw, Broughton, Lake, Bugg, Morriss (Mohr, Wilkes)

Mids: Ablett, Swan, Boyd, Priddis, Chapman, Reid (McDonald, Baguley)

Rucks: Sanderlands, Stephensen (Giles, Rowe)

Forwards: Fraklin, Sidebottom, Dangerfield, Brown, Rohan, Zorko, Smedts (Cooyou, Treloar)

Considerations: Would like Barlow in the side though may need to swap for Sidebottom. Also wondering if Goddard is a wise first round pick. Didn't look too good in his NAB games last week.

27. Brendan says:

Hey all,

Early days yet, I know – but any thoughts on my team so far? Basically looked at the early rounds to kick off good price jumps (hopefully) and stayed away from Richmond (for the moment) given their horror first 5 rounds – Deledio and Martin are top of my things to do list afterwards. Went heavy on DPP's; trades are there to be used ;)

Insanely helpful advice by all postings really!

Backs: Goddard.B, Carrazzo.A, Lake.B, Guthrie.C, Bower.P, Smedts.B, Bugg.T (Brown.L, Baguley.M)

Mids: Ablett.G, Swallow.A, Shuey.L, Sloane.R, Hayes.L, Lucas.K (Pfeiffer.D, Treloar.A)

Rucks: McEvoy.B, Giles.J (Stephensen.O, Rowe.S)

Forwards: Franklin.L, O'Keefe.R, Dangerfield.P, Adams.L, Brown.J, Zaharakis.D, Goodes.A (Hall.A, Weedon.G)

Thoughts?

28. Luke says:

heyy just wanted to see if anyone had some feedback about my team…

def:

cooyou GWS

pfeiffer PTA

Smedts GEE

res:

Treloar GWS

Kerridge ADE

Any feedback or comments would be good :) only question is whether to have brown ADE or wilkes STK

29. Benjamin says:

Hi Jock,

Could you please check on my team. Could you review and rate this team out of 10 on the team please?

I'm playing a 13:1:16 system.-Premium:Mid-Range:Rookie

and a 4,4,1,4 system-Number of superstars and mid-range players.

Defenders: B.Goddard(STK), B.Deledio(RICH), C.Enright(GEEL), S.McHamon(NM), M.Buntine(GWS), M.Clarke(COLL), B.Ellis(RICH), B.Smedts(GEEL) and J.Bootsma(CARL)

Midfielders: G.Ablett(GC), D.Swan(COLL), M.Boyd (WB), S.Thompson(ADEL), S.Coniglio (GWS), D.Tyson(GWS), D.Pfeiffer(PA) and T.Mitchell(SYD)

Ruckmen: M.Leuenberger(BL), B.Longer(BL), J.Giles(GWS) and O.Stephensen(GEEL)

Forwards: L.Franklin(HAW), A.Goodes(SYD), S.Johnson(GEEL), D.Beams(COLL), N.Haynes(GWS), A.Tomlinson(GWS),D.Smith(GWS), A.Saad(STK)and A.Sexton(GC).

Salary Cap remaining: $52,900

Benjamin

P.S.: You may have a great team there Jock.

30. Connor says:

Hi Jock,

I want some advice on D Martin.

I've got him in my forward line and i could trade him for either N Fyfe, S Jhonson or M Pavlich. Who should I get or should i keep Martin and save my salary cap (with Martin it is $72,300).

Cheers

P.S. you have a great team!

31. Lohgan says:

Hey Jock..

Who would you put in now that Brown will be out for the first couple rounds due to that injury.. Such a shame when will he learn?

32. Bob says:

Hey Jock and other readers! Would love any thoughts or advice on my team if you have the time…

here goes…

DEF: Goddard, Scotland, Deledio, Burgoyne, Lake, Ellis, Darley (Bugg, Baguley)

MID: Ablett,Goodes,Martin,Ebert,Coniglio,Devon Smith (Neale,Sam Gibson)

RUC: Cox, Leuenberger, (Giles, Stephenson)

FWD: Franklin, Fyfe, S.Johnson, Dangerfield, Porplyzia, Cooyou, Saad (Smedts, Kerridge)

Any Thoughts Lads? Cheers

33. Ben says:

Hi jock could you please give me any advice on my Supercoach team

Def Goddard Scotland Hargrave Lake Wilkes Bugg (Darley Baguley)

Mid Ablett Fyfe Boyd Priddis Ebert Wingard (Neale Reid)

Ruc Luenbeeger Mclntosh (Giles Redden)

Fow Franklin Martin Riewoldt Pavlich Butcher Cooyou Weedon (Smedts Treloar)

Thanks

34. Ben says:

Hi jock could you please give me any advice on my Supercoach team

Def Goddard Scotland Hargrave Lake Wilkes Bugg (Darley Baguley)

Mid Ablett Fyfe Boyd Priddis Ebert Wingard (Neale Reid)

Ruc Luenbeeger Mclntosh (Giles Redden)

Fow Franklin Martin Riewoldt Pavlich Butcher Cooyou Weedon (Smedts Treloar)

Thanks put in wrong email first time

35. Jake says:

What do people think of big Jarod Witts of the pies?

36. Fitzy says:

Jock, any tips on my team would be appreciated

DEF H.Shaw N.Smith B.Reid T.Mohr K.Hunt T.Mcdonald J. Russel (S.Frost T.Armstrong)

MID S. Pendlebury S.Selwood J.Redden[Brisbane] D.Swan J.Bolton S.Hill (M.Arnot J.Tutt)

RUC J.Giles J.Redden[Port] (O.Stephenson J.Witts)

FOW K.Tippett T.Cloke J.Darling J.Hill C.Dawes D.Smith L.Hansen (J.Brown A. Sexton)

Thanks

37. Terrific work! This is the type of info that should be shared across the web.
    Shame on the search engines for not positioning this submit upper!
    Come on over and seek advice from my web site . Thank you =)

Take a look at my web site :: http://www.mebel.dva-kita.ru